Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
drive line vibration

yesterday i noticed some vibration throughout the chassis and a very slight shimmy in the wheel at certain speeds under load which appeared to be coming from the rear end. first thought was a CV joint or damaged axle. peeked underneath and found NO grease. next suspect was either the axle or possible thrown weight off one of the wheels. talked to brent and frank at DTP and they suggested it being the drive shaft.

so...jacked up the rear end and got underneath it...disengaged the e-brake and checked the drive shaft. sure enough, the bolts that connect the drive shaft to the rear differential were the culprit. 1 bolt was completely backed out and just sitting in the bore and the threads were hammered flat except for the last couple threads. the other 2 bolts were hand tight.

stopped at the local parts dept and picked up 3 new bolts...a little loc-tite and good as new.

not sure what caused the bolts to come lose as i've never touched them or had the drive shaft out. only thought that comes to mind is if the pumpkin was dropped when my gears were swapped. anyhow, something to keep in mind.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
MA2010SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
yesterday i noticed some vibration throughout the chassis and a very slight shimmy in the wheel at certain speeds under load which appeared to be coming from the rear end. first thought was a CV joint or damaged axle. peeked underneath and found NO grease. next suspect was either the axle or possible thrown weight off one of the wheels. talked to brent and frank at DTP and they suggested it being the drive shaft.

so...jacked up the rear end and got underneath it...disengaged the e-brake and checked the drive shaft. sure enough, the bolts that connect the drive shaft to the rear differential were the culprit. 1 bolt was completely backed out and just sitting in the bore and the threads were hammered flat except for the last couple threads. the other 2 bolts were hand tight.

stopped at the local parts dept and picked up 3 new bolts...a little loc-tite and good as new.

not sure what caused the bolts to come lose as i've never touched them or had the drive shaft out. only thought that comes to mind is if the pumpkin was dropped when my gears were swapped. anyhow, something to keep in mind.
I think you answered your own question...you have 3.91 gears, whoever did the install had to remove those bolts to take the rear out of the car, when it was re-installed they may have only hand tighten them and forgot to torque them down
2010 Camaro SS Whipple SC, CAI Inc Intake, TSP 1 7/8" LT headers no cats, 3" magnaflow exhaust, HPT, RX Catch Can, LSR Toe Rods, LSR Trailing Arms, ALKY Control Meth, McLeod RXT Twin Disc, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.73 ZL1 Differential Kit, BTR PDS Stage 2 Cam, Tuned by SLOWHAWK Performance Bridgewater MA
MA2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

i agree...SABOTAGE!!!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
MA2010SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
i agree...SABOTAGE!!!
Haha...good thing you didn't break all the bolts and needed a tow
2010 Camaro SS Whipple SC, CAI Inc Intake, TSP 1 7/8" LT headers no cats, 3" magnaflow exhaust, HPT, RX Catch Can, LSR Toe Rods, LSR Trailing Arms, ALKY Control Meth, McLeod RXT Twin Disc, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.73 ZL1 Differential Kit, BTR PDS Stage 2 Cam, Tuned by SLOWHAWK Performance Bridgewater MA
Old 03-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

fo sho! i consider myself pretty lucky.

i'd hate to see this happen to somebody else and have the drive shaft bang around under the car. all kinds of destruction and safety issues...its scary!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
I snapped two out of three bolts on the FRONT of a driveshaft on an MGC back in the 80's just as I passed 100 mph. Vibrated so bad the dust in the car was levitating a few inches above the carpet. Scared. The. Crap. Out. Of. Me.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #7
MA2010SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
I snapped two out of three bolts on the FRONT of a driveshaft on an MGC back in the 80's just as I passed 100 mph. Vibrated so bad the dust in the car was levitating a few inches above the carpet. Scared. The. Crap. Out. Of. Me.

John B.
I've broken too many U-joints on different cars over the years and DS loop is never a bad investment no matter what you do to the car
Old 04-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #8
Vader2011v6

Drives: 2014 custom blue ZL1
Looks like this is why happened to me. My driveshaft is hanging loose in between my exhaust.. Haven't gotten it on the lift but looks like three bolts are missing .
Old 04-18-2013, 02:51 AM   #9
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
OP, I'm glad you were able to find this without any further damage... but....

For all of us... the bolts used on the driveshafts are a one time use bolt. There were some reported early on that were breaking or loose without ever having been removed. I've had several people I know have broken or loose bolts create vibration issues and one suffered pretty substantial damage...

I haven't heard of this one in a while so I imagine it was limited to earlier model cars...

If you remove or loosen these bolts, please get new bolts from the dealer or another reputable supplier and replace them...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #10
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

i hope it is just earlier models. but with all the guys getting the gear swap done...i suppose we could begin to see it as an issue again. as long as the shop gets some new bolts in there they should be good to go.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #11
Vader2011v6

Drives: 2014 custom blue ZL1
Unfortunately it happened at the track. Right at my first run I started a burn out and then it snapped.so didn't even get a run down the track
Old 04-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
ive broken 4 sets of those bolts! ugh! my latest, monday this week. just got my car back from the dealer last night. my car is #35770

2010 M6 LS3

production date August 2009

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #13
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
Ive had a few issues as well, replace 3 times, the GM bolts are torque to yield so they should not be reused. I now put a torque wrench on them every oil change.