Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
2sharp

Drives: 2010 GT500
Complaints from the media

Did anyone else hear the complaints on the national news yesterday?? Here in Va the NBC4 had newscasters at 5:00 and 7:00 (national news) complaining that this isn't the right time for a "muscle car"...........A-Holes!!! They were saying " What was GM thinking"........................although they did mention the excellent mileage for the V6.

Last edited by 2sharp; 03-17-2009 at 09:21 AM.
2sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
I didn't hear that, but I did hear the reporter on the 6pm news say: "...Chevy is offering the Camaro with a V6, a V6? V6 in a muscle car?..." He did add an exclamation point when he read that it got 29MPG.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
so many things wrong with that statement...

GM started building this vehicle over 3 years ago. BEFORE the credit crunch, BEFORE the insane gas prices. The mustang was selling like hotcakes, why not build a competitor? Also, you can't really call 29mpgs bad timing.

Sounds like the media, as with many people, are fixated on the buzz phrase "muscle car", as in gas guzzler. If they pulled their heads out of their asses, they'd see this car gets better mileage than many mid sized sedans that used to be praised for their economy.

idiots.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
2sharp

Drives: 2010 GT500
I agree. I saw three separate newscasts.........and each had less than a minute about the Camaro. They all started negative.....showed the Yellow and Red V6's. and ended with the gas mileage of the car. But again, couldnt say anything positive. And man did the cars look good in High Definition rolling down the street. Too bad they couldnt have run over a reporter of two!!!
2sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sharp View Post
Did anyone else hear the complaints on the national news yesterday?? Here in Va the NBC4 had newscasters at 5:00 and 7:00 (national news) complaining that this isn't the right time for a "muscle car"...........A-Holes!!! They were saying " What was GM thinking"........................although they did mention the excellent mileage for the V6.
What else are they going to do with it after working on it for 3 years? Hold onto it and lose more money. What they neglect to say is that its a fuel efficient car and gets better mileage then some cars and trucks.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Well - we'll have leave it to GM to advertise Camaro as a more responsible car than the media has and really push that truly great mileage from the V6s (and V8s for that matter). It's better than the little 2.5L I-5 in my Jetta

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The SS auto gets roughly the same mileage as the Honda Accord coupe (manual) and Mazda Speed3. It beats the Mitsubishi Evo. Oh and by the way, it has at least 100 more hp than any of those and weighs a couple hundred pounds more. I wish reporters would actually do some research, all they've gotta do is go to www.fueleconomy.gov and compare some cars.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
If you want to find the dumbest people in town, go look for tv stations.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
Silverghost

Drives: Z28
Now it makes sense why GM is trying not to market the 5th gen as a muscle car and putting a big push on the six cylinder.

Funny how the media hasn't said the same about the challenger even though Dodge is in the same boat as GM.

www.rivercityperformance.com
Silverghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
achalk

Drives: 2SS/RS+GFX/black/black
14K pre-orders can't be wrong
achalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #11
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
Not to turn this into a political thread, but the mainstream media is very liberal, IMO, and would love nothing better than for us to be driving Toyota Prious's

Buy V-8's while you can, boys.
Dakota Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #12
Joe Remi

Drives: '17 Impala V6 LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Kid View Post
Not to turn this into a political thread, but the mainstream media is very liberal, IMO, and would love nothing better than for us to be driving Toyota Prious's

Buy V-8's while you can, boys.
Well you did, and to presume all liberals prefer import cars is Republican-talking-point BS. I'm a liberal and have owned lots of American, Japanese and one Korean car. My next car will be a Camaro. Liberals are proud of their country, too

PS. Fox News is the highest rated cable news network and Rush Limbaugh is the highest rated radio talker, so spare me the "liberal mainstream media" foolishness. You can't pretend the crew on your side isn't part of the mainstream.
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
it was funny, CNBC went crazy to over the news that GM is releasing the Camaro.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I think people have forgotten the Pursuit of Happyness part.

Hey as far I am concerned the Star called the Sun that's orbiting a supermassive black hole will swell up and cook the Earth. So I am gonna burn as much gasoline it does not matter we are all dead in the future anyway at least this rock we are sitting on is.

/end rant against enviro wusses.

P.S.
BTW This stuff always reminds me of one time I laughed so hard I could not stop crying at a stoplight cause this brand new black Prius came up behind me and the lady was giving me ugly "planet killer" looks cause my vette was shaking her whole POS electric car. On the radio at the same exact time Rush Limbaugh was ranting about gas and oil and it was the cherry on top of the cake. Also I had just seen the south park Prius episode.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote