Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #43
McGruff

Drives: 98 Saturn
Quote:
I wonder how many Corvette owners have to justify why their 'vette only has 430hp when the Z06 (505hp) and ZR1 (638hp) exist...
Very few. If a guy pulled up with a Vette coupe and popped the hood to brag though, then yes, I would ask him why he didnt get the Z06. Vette's have been around long enough that people don't bother asking questions anymore.

I'm sorry V6'ers, but at least until the Camaro becomes more common on the road you will always be questioned why you didn't buy the V8. It's a muscle car...the engine is the most important thing about the car.

Quote:
Nope. They don't have to deal with the stereotype of a V6 being a slow, girly, all show no go, no balls car.. I don't care what they think. There are a couple of people I know who have this attitude I'm sure.
It'll be tough to break this opinion with the V8 out there, especially if they get to ride in both. The V6 is like the Cobalt SS in a way, you go in thinking it wont be too impressive but it turns out to be pretty fast. Afterwards, most will still say "well, it's still a Cobalt". I enjoyed the Cobalt SS but it's still just a Cobalt. Some people will enjoy the V6 but it's still just a V6. That's just people for you, they get it in their heads that the V8 is better (it is, not in every regard though) and they will use that as the unreachable comparison block.

If you go around trying to prove to people that the V6 is just as good as the V8 you will be fighting a losing battle. It will likely be extremely annoying and exhausting. Point out the reasons why you chose V6 (insurance, gas, mileage...anything to do with money saved) and call it a day. If they still talk about the V8 then oh well, ignore them. What matters is if you're happy! Everyone that cares about what people think though...well, you were all warned this would happen. There are people who will knock the V6 on the account it's not a V8 and there's nothing you can do to change their mind.
McGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #44
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Ignore them. Too many punks use their car to substitute for their d!ck. Get what you want and enjoy it. Let the haters wallow in their own inadequacies.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #45
RedRaider

Drives: 2000 Tahoe LT, 2010 2LT/RS
It came down to cost of ownership for me. I like owning a house. Satelitte HD television and high-speed internet are nice as well. Season football tickets and road trips, vacations,...oh yeah, and no credit card debt, are also nice perks. All this plus a new 2010 Camaro, life is good. I would love to own a V8 if someone else would cover some other bills of mine!
RedRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #46
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Dont ever worry about what other people think! Its your car, not theres.
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #47
StuMac

Drives: 2010 CMG 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbrankxx View Post
I'm 27 and I ordered the same 2LT RS, I don't need a V8 to drive to work everyday. The SS would be overkill for my needs. I'm not looking to blow the doors off anyone, just wanna get to and from work in style!
There is no such thing as overkill!!!!

Cyber gray!
StuMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #48
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGruff View Post
This topic has been discussed forever. Everyone who buys a V6 will constantly need to defend their purchase over a V8, that's just the way it's going to be. The more you brag about your car...(ex: popping the hood)...the more you're going to be called out for it.

V6 is a fine car...for a V6. It beats all the other V6's. It does not beat V8's. People will always comment when you buy a muscle car and ignore the option with the most muscle.
This really does sum it all up.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #49
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
V8 > V6

You'll always be second. Just be happy with your purchase and stop worrying about what others think. If it bugs you bad enough, sell your V6 Camaro and go buy a ZR1.
-1 haha

V6 = saved money = win

-Saved money at the pump (mpg x regular = $$$ saved over time)
-Cheaper insurance
-$10k cheaper

I'll put that $10k towards a new kitchen and increase the value of my house. (something that will make me money in the future) Maybe when things are more stable in the future, I'll upgrade....

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #50
mikenmar

Drives: Camaro 1LT
Quote:
This topic has been discussed forever. Everyone who buys a V6 will constantly need to defend their purchase over a V8, that's just the way it's going to be. The more you brag about your car...(ex: popping the hood)...the more you're going to be called out for it.

V6 is a fine car...for a V6. It beats all the other V6's. It does not beat V8's. People will always comment when you buy a muscle car and ignore the option with the most muscle.
So what will the V8 owners say every time some kid in a WRX/STI leaves them in the dust?

Last edited by mikenmar; 06-15-2009 at 08:04 PM.
mikenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #51
CamaroSS426

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro 1SS
Send a message via AIM to CamaroSS426
V6 V8 doesn't matter, just get a camaro and drive it like you stole it. This car looks amazing regardless, and from what I here feels pretty good to... I would like to think True Camaro owners just respect you for supporting the car and taking part in its great history... Ride on, I bet that SIM looks amazing.
CamaroSS426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #52
DntWrryBeHappy21
Patiently Waiting...

Drives: whatevers in the driveway atm
Send a message via AIM to DntWrryBeHappy21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richochet83 View Post
Ok. So its no point in modifing something when you are damn near the only one in your area with one.
well I'd beg to differ because personally you are modifying your car to make it YOUR own car so it doesn't look, sound, perform like anyone elses, so I would probably still customize mine even if I am the only one around with that car just to show that its MY car and Its exactly how I want it, just like your camaro is YOUR car and its how YOU wanted it =)

One day....
DntWrryBeHappy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #53
McGruff

Drives: 98 Saturn
Quote:
So what will the V8 owners say every time some kid in a WRX/STI leaves them in the dust?
So what will the WRX/STI owners say when a ZR1 leaves them in the dust?

We could play that game all day. The topic is defending choosing the V6 over the V8 Camaro, not "The V8 Camaro is an unbeatable race car". However, your odds of winning races should you choose to do that are greatly increased with the V8.
McGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #54
mikenmar

Drives: Camaro 1LT
Quote:
So what will the WRX/STI owners say when a ZR1 leaves them in the dust?

We could play that game all day.
My point exactly.
mikenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #55
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
I have to say that through all the generations of Camaro I have always looked down on the V-6 cars. They were usually strippers and very unattractive compareed to their V-8 brethren, or severely underpowered.

Fortunately the 5th has ZERO of those attributes. This is the first car where I have considered and can see myself purchasing the V-6 car and being very happy with it. I just hope a turbo kit comes out for it.................
14 Silverado
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #56
kga10734
Don't Feed the Troll

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS & 1999 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
It came down to cost of ownership for me. I like owning a house. Satellite HD television and high-speed internet are nice as well. Season football tickets and road trips, vacations,...oh yeah, and no credit card debt, are also nice perks. All this plus a new 2010 Camaro, life is good. I would love to own a V8 if someone else would cover some other bills of mine!

I also ordered a 2LT RS. I wanted all the nice interior of the 2SS but without the extra cost. The exterior of the LT and SS is almost identical except for a few changes. 300+ hp is plenty for me to get back and forth to work everyday and to cruise around some on the weekends. If I wanted to race I would just go pull out the '78 Z28 and blow most anything away on the streets. See link below.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26799

One reason for getting the LT is I have a son that is 10 years old. My plan is to drive this and have it paid for when he turns 16. He will then get this car for his first ride. A 300+hp v6 will be plenty of car for him at that age and I'm sure we will add some go-fast parts before that time comes. It will be a lot better car then the one I had at that age. I am planning for the future, because when he turns 16 and gets this car, I get to buy my Vette I always wanted.

Bottome line... get what you want not what others tell you to get . It's your car and your payment. If they think you need to get a SS tell them to give you the extra money if you don't have it or if the bigger payment will put you in a bind.
kga10734 is offline   Reply With Quote