Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
sandrr

Drives: rsss on order lotsa other cars
get em while u can

My dad bought me my first car in the fall of 57 a black 58 impala coupe 348 4 barrel auto.( said l would kill myself with the tri power 280 horse stick) l did get it sideways few times but didnt ever put a scratch on it. Had quite a few fun cars through the yrs was able to hold on to a few. l remember when the driver controled the car not the other way around.( 2 brake lts were enough, we turned the lights on and off, knew enough to take keys out of car, stepped on brake when we started car, we locked the doors if we wanted to etc. l am not against safety items like airbags, padded dashes and reasonable mandates but according to a recent thread, calif. wants to choose the color of the car u drive and in effect tells detroit what type of car we drive through unleaded gas.( lm sure u know that lead is an additive not removed) cafe standards. We have a 2ss/rs on order suppossed to be built nx month may not be the last new car we ever purchase but probably will be the last fun American car available. The only reason l am writin this is to suggest that if a camaro, mustang or challenger is safely within ur reach, they may soon be as unattainable as Ls 6s real hemi cudas and 429sj cobra torinos. l know there are several "old timers" in here that remember the freedom we had and lost it. get em while u can.
sandrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Douge
Eurotrash Connossieur

Drives: 1985 Mercedes 500SEL
This is foolish. Todays cars are vastly superior to cars even 10 years ago, V6 cars today crush V8's from a decade ago, hell there are now turbodiesels that would run down a Corvette from the early 90's.

We may get to the point where cars are no longer fueled with petroleum based fuels, but there will always be something fun on wheels as long as there are humans running around.

Face it, a Honda Civic would beat your old V8 Impala in every way shape and form and 50 years from now, some everyday car will blow away what we think is untouchable today.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
sandrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douge View Post
This is foolish. Todays cars are vastly superior to cars even 10 years ago, V6 cars today crush V8's from a decade ago, hell there are now turbodiesels that would run down a Corvette from the early 90's.

We may get to the point where cars are no longer fueled with petroleum based fuels, but there will always be something fun on wheels as long as there are humans running around.

Face it, a Honda Civic would beat your old V8 Impala in every way shape and form and 50 years from now, some everyday car will blow away what we think is untouchable today.
Ya but who wants to drive a honda civic lol and l agree tuners will beat corvettes
Old 03-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:

Perhaps you are one of those that does not mind the government telling you what you can and cannot do. And perhaps you also don't understand that "those cars" from years ago were simply a lot of fun to drive. Sure today's cars will outperform "those cars". I think you missed the OPs real point, after expressing some nostalgia he made the point that in a few years we may not be able to get cars like the new Camaro due to our government regulatings cars like that out of existence, so if you can afford one then buy it while you can. And maybe it's OK with you if the government regulates them out of existence, it's not OK with me and I would quite frankly like for the government to keep their damn nose out of my business.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
sandrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Perhaps you are one of those that does not mind the government telling you what you can and cannot do. And perhaps you also don't understand that "those cars" from years ago were simply a lot of fun to drive. Sure today's cars will outperform "those cars". I think you missed the OPs real point, after expressing some nostalgia he made the point that in a few years we may not be able to get cars like the new Camaro due to our government regulatings cars like that out of existence, so if you can afford one then buy it while you can. And maybe it's OK with you if the government regulates them out of existence, it's not OK with me and I would quite frankly like for the government to keep their damn nose out of my business.
Clyde
Happy to see u got it clyde.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I'm 31, so I am obviously too young to have ever had the chance of driving a car like that, but I did drive a 1938 Pontiac once. Inline 8 cylinder engine, 3 speed on the tree, and no power anything (turn signals, brake lights, and a heater were the options on this car).

I have to say it was a joy to drive! To start it, turn the key to run the generator, push the clutch in (no such thing as hydraulic clutches) with your left foot and with your right foot stomp the starter pedal. The engine will churn to life.....

Pull the gear lever in and up to engage reverse. In and down is first gear, up and out is second gear, and straight down is third gear.

I loved it. I got a sense of how people HAD to learn how to drive manual transmissions because, there were no such thing as an automatic (the hydramatic came out in '53 I think, right?). The steering wheel was flippin huge, but due to the diameter of the wheel, it was surprisingly easy to steer the car without power steering. When I got going I was expecting to have to flex my triceps to turn the car, but it was not the case.

It was wierd to be sitting on the bench seat with no seatbelts in sight - as much as I agree some cars may have too much in the world of safety, the thought of hitting something at even 40 mph with that huge wheel, steel steering column, and steel dashboard right in front of me did actually cross my mind a bit. And I realized we should be thankfull for the seatbelts, airbags, crumple zones, and long wide padded dashboards of today's cars.

I would encourage anyone who gets a chance to drive an old relic like that to take advantage of it.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
SpeedDemon

Drives: 2002 ZTS Silver Focus
coolness doesn't age. Old Black V8 Impala will turn more heads over a Honda Civic any day. when you see a car you go, 'that looks cool' then performance comes next, you can tweek,mod, do whatever to the performance of any car! but if it ain't nice on the outside no one will Really Care, sure it goes fast, but whats it look like? look at the Black 67 Dodge Charger from the fast and the furious, it didn't 'need' a nitro button. and it keep't up just fine.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #8
NVMY68SS
Drives #296

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS - 350/5 Speed
Quote:
Clyde
+1

There is no comparison to how my 1968 Camaro will compare to the ride, handling and performance of my 2010, but that doesn't mean that I'll stop driving it. They are representations of different times and I enjoy everytime I get to take her out. I was 16 in 1986 and my first car was a 1962 Impala SS....blue on blue with a 327, 4 speed and (2) 4 bbl carbs...........I'd do just about anything within reason to get that car back.........

I think everyone should get the experience of some vintage Detroit other than just walking by them at car shows.......maybe then people would appreciate them in a different light and realize what we have lost and also what we have gained.
#296 Delivered 6-1-09 Dynoed 10-3-09 384.56HP 387.65TQ with the bolt-ons listed, no tune.....yet!
Roto-Fab CAI (Install pics here), Doug Thorley Shorties, Flowmaster American Thunder 409S Cat Back Vid
NVMY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Quote:

Uh no.... Your way off the mark man.

Are you look at numbers or are you living and driving both?

Forget the numbers the old cars ****ing rocked. There is more to driving and owning a car than just some statistics.

And 10 years old huh? My 17 year old vette can keep right up to an SS and it's 100 HP less. I beat a brand new 08 Mustang GT just last month...

The original poster is correct. These are are fading breed till we get uber fast electric cars in the future and another generation is born. For now this is it for gasoline piston cars in terms of just wild fun body and fun performance.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #10
StuMac

Drives: 2010 CMG 2SS
I'm going to start out stating that I started out in a power-nothing older car and frankly I like all the convinces. The auto locking is a little excessive since I've now got a button next to my elbow to do the same thing, but over I don't like the nostalgic things mentioned by the OP. However whoever came up with the car colour legislation needs to go into their teenager's room, find their stash, have a joint and relax. There's already legislation controlling emissions of a vehicle. If a vehicle passes these standards, it doesn't matter what colour the car is, only if it passes. Though I do find it hilarious to think that someone might be denied permission to buy a Prius just because it's black while someone drives by them in a silver Camaro.

I wonder if they realize the legislation they are proposing will extend to limos and they will thus be forced to look like they rented when they are driven everywhere.

Cyber gray!
StuMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
Vash

That's why I laugh at black priuus they burning gas and absorbing UV from the Star that's orbiting the supermassive black hole (I.E. we screwed one way other another eventually).
Old 03-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #12
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
Clyde
The government is the only thing keeping GM and AIG afloat right now. I wouldn't discredit them so quickly.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
DaddySS
Kept The Faith

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:

Yea, and I tell you what..put 61 409, a 63 SS convertible, a 66 GTO, a 68 Roadrunner, a 69 Camaro SS convertible, and a 69 Chevelle SS convertible in a parking lot along with a Civic and offer free drives - see how many takers you get for the Civic.

As stated above you missed the point of the post, and I can assure you the people on this forum are not here because they would really prefer the whir of an electric motor pulling 200 pounds of batteries but will have to settle for the new Camaro.

What's foolish is your critique of a persons "view" and opinion. Don't mean to be harsh but "foolish" statement touched a nerve.
DaddySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #14
Vash

Oh it's more than a fact. Gas prices will never be this low again it's only going up.

This is the last of the high power gasoline V8's.

6th Camaro gen prob will be electric performance like Tesla's sports coupe.
8th Gen Corvette prob electric performance too.