Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #127
Rockey33

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro SS
Our 2012 Camaro has become my family's hobby (modifying, shows, etc.). My wife and I were never really into cars before we bought this one. I think GM/Chevy has done a great job with the Camaro. The unveiling of the Z/28 is just another positive step forward. Thank you for building such a great car!
Rockey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #128
BloodRain
Account Suspended

Drives: 1LE
And in rush the sheep of yay sayers. No wonder popular vote is so easy.
BloodRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #129
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer21 View Post
Scott, I mean you no disrespect. But being a retired GM Engineering veteran of over 30 years and having bought a brand new 1973 Z28 in 1973 at 19 years old I can,'t hold back my opinion. When I first saw the 1968 Camaro I was a huge fan at 15 years old. I had to have a Camaro. I am now 59, soon to be 60 and through the years I watched the Camaro grow uglier and uglier with every change. This was partly because GM would cut funding half way into a design change and ruin the recipe. I watched it with the Oldsmobile Cutlass too. It was horrible to watch great cars ruined by bean counters instead of creative designers.

The reason the 5th generation Camaro was such a great success was all the input by the Focus team. They were not invited this time. How quickly GM forgets. The front of the car isn't that bad but the rear didn't get much thought at all. There are a lot of people on here that has "the Emperor's new clothes" syndrome. Just because you say everyone put in hard work in this redesign doesn't make it not suck. Those taillights are a big fail. They wrap around and are not flat like the 69'. They look like sedan taillights. Cheap at that and only the SS gets LEDs. Not modern in any way and they don't look at all like the 69's. It wasn't until the 4th generation did GM finally start making the Camaro look better after nearly twenty years of ugly designs. Then what, they stopped making them.

I can't believe that only two people besides me has the nuts to tell you the truth. Hence the Emperor's new clothes syndrome. Just because you say " we tried really hard," people feel bad that they insulted you so they are kissing your behind. Don't take it personal. The car has some good attributes but also has some bad ones. That's life.

I am in the process of buying a 2013 Camaro. I had a 2010 Camaro. I loved it. I won't be buying a redesigned new one until the 6th Generation comes out. Hopefully there will be real peoples input in that one.
SilverSurfer - I'm not sure if I know you or not - but let me respond to your thoughts.

We're about the same age. Your opinion is that the Camaro got uglier and uglier through the years. I don't agree with you and I don't think a whole bunch of Camaro Enthusiasts would agree. True, it's always been an internal struggle between design, engineering, manufacturing, and finance. That's the nature of the beast. I don't know of another automotive manufacturer where this doesn't happen to one extent or another. If it's true that you were an engineer for GM for 30 years, I wonder how loudly you protested when something was proposed that didn't make sense. I'm not saying you don't but I've sat in meetings where a lot of people sit there like bumps on a log during a very "spirited" discussion - and others of us spoke up and argued. We didn't always win - that's impossible But these very same bumps on logs would then leave the meeting -and suddenly find their voice and complain after the fact........... I hope that wasn't you.

"The Emperor Wears No Clothes" I think, does not apply on this website or any other - and the proof is the many posts that precipitated this post as a way of explaining WHY things were done. I've been on this site from the very beginning - and in fact I was on many sites when it was not 'blessed' by GM to do so. I'm here to tell you that the people on this site have no problems telling me exactly what they think. HOW they say it goes a long way. (...such as using fowl language-- and when people behave badly, I tend to sometimes discount their comments....)

As you are a retired GM Employee, I really wish you'd not use words like "Suck" as I don't think it's befitting the position you held and I don't think it reflects well on your fellow GM Employees and Retirees.

The LED Tail Lamps come with the RS package. The regular tail lamps are incandescent. There are reasons - one is cost. Another is that not everyone loves LEDs. Further, we listened to our enthusiasts who told us that there should be greater differentiation between an RS and a Non-RS. Yes, we listened to our customers and we will continue to do so. So we have two different types of tail-lamps on the 2014.

You may not like the tail lamps - but if you go back and read what I wrote at the beginning of this thread, I explained that a lot of people hated the current lights as well - but they evidently got used to them.

As to 'real' people input, I can't think of another car in this industry that takes more input from their enthusiasts.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #130
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRain View Post
And in rush the sheep of yay sayers. No wonder popular vote is so easy.
Not everybody hates it

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #131
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
thanks for spending your time to write an interesting message Scott.. I think the refresh is moving in the right direction..
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #132
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast

Drives: 2010 VR LS3
Great read. Thank you for keeping the history alive
Old 03-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #133
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
SilverSurfer - I'm not sure if I know you or not - but let me respond to your thoughts.

We're about the same age. Your opinion is that the Camaro got uglier and uglier through the years. I don't agree with you and I don't think a whole bunch of Camaro Enthusiasts would agree. True, it's always been an internal struggle between design, engineering, manufacturing, and finance. That's the nature of the beast. I don't know of another automotive manufacturer where this doesn't happen to one extent or another. If it's true that you were an engineer for GM for 30 years, I wonder how loudly you protested when something was proposed that didn't make sense. I'm not saying you don't but I've sat in meetings where a lot of people sit there like bumps on a log during a very "spirited" discussion - and others of us spoke up and argued. We didn't always win - that's impossible But these very same bumps on logs would then leave the meeting -and suddenly find their voice and complain after the fact........... I hope that wasn't you.

"The Emperor Wears No Clothes" I think, does not apply on this website or any other - and the proof is the many posts that precipitated this post as a way of explaining WHY things were done. I've been on this site from the very beginning - and in fact I was on many sites when it was not 'blessed' by GM to do so. I'm here to tell you that the people on this site have no problems telling me exactly what they think. HOW they say it goes a long way. (...such as using fowl language-- and when people behave badly, I tend to sometimes discount their comments....)

As you are a retired GM Employee, I really wish you'd not use words like "Suck" as I don't think it's befitting the position you held and I don't think it reflects well on your fellow GM Employees and Retirees.

The LED Tail Lamps come with the RS package. The regular tail lamps are incandescent. There are reasons - one is cost. Another is that not everyone loves LEDs. Further, we listened to our enthusiasts who told us that there should be greater differentiation between an RS and a Non-RS. Yes, we listened to our customers and we will continue to do so. So we have two different types of tail-lamps on the 2014.

You may not like the tail lamps - but if you go back and read what I wrote at the beginning of this thread, I explained that a lot of people hated the current lights as well - but they evidently got used to them.

As to 'real' people input, I can't think of another car in this industry that takes more input from their enthusiasts.
I for one am glad you listen to owners... Now one request I have made since I purchased my 2010 Camaro... Please make a handling package available for the V6 models. I love my V6 I just would like a factory handling package.. Maybe go old school and call it the F-41 suspension...
Old 03-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #134
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Thank you,Thank you Thank you, I love the 2014 SS and the Z/28 makes me feel 25+ years younger when I had lust for a Lamborghini Countach on a poster that hung on my wall. (In Farmington Hills). Fast forward to today and I just hang my "poster" as the wallpaper on my laptop. (The 2014 Z/28)

I have to admit I was not in love with the 2013 SS/1LE that I was about to order....I loved the performance numbers and available aftermarket support....but felt is was lacking something in the "gotta have it" department for me.

The 2014 update took care of that and the Recaro option is the icing on the cake! After the launch I was corresponding with Becky D and told her I want the first Z/28 from Rogers if I can afford it (wife vetoed that one....and then I came to my financial senses as well ) So I asked for the first 2014 SS/1LE w/Recaros she delivers. My order will be placed as soon as it is open.....

I only have one request.....Can I please have my car before Dream Cruise (week)? I am only 1.5 miles from Woodward.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #135
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
I will just say that everytime I walk into the garage I smile. I purchased this car brand new December 29th 2010, and nothing greater then seeing other people get excited when they see the car or when you cross paths with another 5th gen and get the thumbs up as you pass..

I personally love this moment in time we have with the Camaro. I have always loved the first gen's, and the 70 1/2 split bumper was always one of my faves as well but I was never able to have one..

I have debated many times in trading up to the ZL1 but I have hard time wanting to part with the SGM, plus the work I have done to the SS also holds me back..

Anyway I will finish with saying thank you Scott and the rest of the team for bringing the gen 5 to life. It is the nicest car I have ever owned and it turns the heads of lovers and haters alike..

Peace to you and yours!!

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #136
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Thank you,Thank you Thank you, I love the 2014 SS and the Z/28 makes me feel 25+ years younger when I had lust for a Lamborghini Countach on a poster that hung on my wall. (In Farmington Hills). Fast forward to today and I just hang my "poster" as the wallpaper on my laptop. (The 2014 Z/28)

I have to admit I was not in love with the 2013 SS/1LE that I was about to order....I loved the performance numbers and available aftermarket support....but felt is was lacking something in the "gotta have it" department for me.

The 2014 update took care of that and the Recaro option is the icing on the cake! After the launch I was corresponding with Becky D and told her I want the first Z/28 from Rogers if I can afford it (wife vetoed that one....and then I came to my financial senses as well ) So I asked for the first 2014 SS/1LE w/Recaros she delivers. My order will be placed as soon as it is open.....

I only have one request.....Can I please have my car before Dream Cruise (week)? I am only 1.5 miles from Woodward.

Thanks,
Matt
Congrats on your '14 order, those Recaro seats Rock sorry, off-topic, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #137
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Scott, thanks for your hard work and taking the time to explain the Camaro genealogy. Looking forward to the rollout of the 2014 model year - such awesome cars! I still get so many compliments on my 2011 SS vert. Kudos to you & all of Team Camaro!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #138
L88WOW

Drives: 1967 Camaro 2010 Camaro LS
Great post Scott and thanks to you and the Camaro team for all of your hard work!

The reveal of the Z/28 this week took me back to April '77. That's when I was a high school senior and was working afternoons and weekends at the local Chevrolet dealership. The 77 Z28's were coming back since getting discontinued in '74. I special-ordered a red Z28 with the 4 speed manual trans, 3.73 posi rear, and no air conditioning. Of all the cars I've had during my lifetime, that Z28 was my favorite.

I sure do like the new Z/28! Buying a red one could definitely make me feel like 18 years old again!
L88WOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #139
Jer4251
Camaro Addict

Drives: too many
If people hate it then go buy something else. I for one love the new Z/28. Hope to own one. Its change people can't handle. I dont think it would have made a difference what the refresh looked like, people would hate it because they learned to love the first 5th gens. As for the cost... It should be high, Not everyone needs to own it. I for one dont need it, but i want it in the worst way. I didnt need my ZL1 but i had to have it. If the cost is within reason i might have to make a hard decision between ZL1 vert or Z/28... Only time will tell
1992 Z28 Z03 L98
2018 Sierra Denali 6.2
1997 Z28 Z4C
1995 Z28
Jer4251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #140
Camss57

Drives: 2008 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post

Thanks,
Matt
I really want some details on the 2014 1LE!
Camss57 is offline   Reply With Quote