Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
AutoAgenda

Drives: 69 Camaro, 02 Escalade, 67 Eleanor
Arrow GM’s New 6.2 Liter V8 L86 vs. 3.6 Liter Twin Turbo V6 LF3: By The Numbers

GM’s New 6.2 Liter V8 L86 vs. 3.6 Liter Twin Turbo V6 LF3: By The Numbers

In the red corner, weighing in at 6.2 liters of displacement, we have GM’s new 6.2 liter V8 (L86). The naturally-breathing engine makes 420 horsepower and 450 lb-ft of torque in the all-new 2014 Silverado and 2014 Sierra, using the trusted small-block push-rod setup, but with a few modern technologies, including Variable Valve Timing, Cylinder Deactivation (or Active Fuel Management/AFM), and Direct Injection.

In the blue corner, weighing in at 3.6 liters of displacement, we have another new GM engine: a twin-turbocharged 3.6 liter V6 (LF3). The boosted six-banger also makes 420 horsepower, but 430 lb-ft of torque in the all-new 2014 Cadillac CTS. The engine is as power-dense as they get (116 horsepower per liter), representing the state-of-the art in powerplant engineering and design, through and through.

As you may have expected, both engines take entirely different approaches to optimizing the modern internal combustion engine, but put out the same amount of power and sport similar torque figures. As it stands, The General can pick and choose the best engine for the appropriate application — using the big and burly V8 for trucks, and the smaller, boosted six-pot for sports cars.

Feast your eyes on the similarities, and on the differences: (Chart on link)

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/06/...#ixzz2XlAm0Pq7

Very interesting article! This may be what is to come if EPA standards continue to raise the bar every year.
AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
AFM is back, huh? Will GM ever learn its lesson?
Old 06-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
No weight mentioned?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
Ucantctchme

Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutro View Post
As long as there is CAFE there will be afm.
Vararam, XS Power longtubes and exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers, 1LE gears, Vengeance Racing spec'd comp cam with all supporting valvetrain upgrades, Melling Pump. QTP cutouts. 480rwhp.http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h179/ucantctchme/d5c3102c.jpg
Ucantctchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutro View Post
AFM never went away. And for the vast majority of people out there it's a non-issue.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
VR38DETT is way more power dense than LF3
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
VR38DETT is way more power dense than LF3
All down to boost levels...

Cosworth's/Jaguar's CX-75 concept engine is a 1.6 and has 500+hp... so on that matter, it beats GM's and Nisssan's efforts
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
GM isn't the only manufacturer with AFM. Fiat uses it on all their V8s if I'm not mistaken and even Honda uses it on their V6s.

The issue with AFM isn't cutting the cylinders off it's isolating the engine so you can't feel it. One of the biggest issues is the exhaust. As the engine shakes more in 4 cylinder mode, so does the exhaust and if it isn't isolated you can feel it.

You can barely feel it in the FS Pickups and SUVs. But go look at the Camaro exhaust. I think in 2011 they added one more flex coupling for a total of 4 I believe to try and better isolate the exhaust.

It's very tough to do when the exhaust is hanging off the body. The trucks have everything attached to the frame with one more level of isolation through the body mounts.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
GM isn't the only manufacturer with AFM. Fiat uses it on all their V8s if I'm not mistaken and even Honda uses it on their V6s.

The issue with AFM isn't cutting the cylinders off it's isolating the engine so you can't feel it. One of the biggest issues is the exhaust. As the engine shakes more in 4 cylinder mode, so does the exhaust and if it isn't isolated you can feel it.

You can barely feel it in the FS Pickups and SUVs. But go look at the Camaro exhaust. I think in 2011 they added one more flex coupling for a total of 4 I believe to try and better isolate the exhaust.

It's very tough to do when the exhaust is hanging off the body. The trucks have everything attached to the frame with one more level of isolation through the body mounts.
I don't believe the 6.4 in the SRT8s has cylinder de-activation.

Another part of AFM that I think affects truck owners less than Camaro owners (and in particular, Camaro owners on this website) is aftermarket exhausts. I'm sure GM does what they can to eliminate the unpleasantness of the 3.1L V4 sound through careful exhaust tuning. But if you replace the muffler with one that isn't trying to minimize some of the bad frequencies (and instead might amplify a few of them), its not going to be a fun experience.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:

Actually CHRSLER'S V8s do. 1 Chrysler is not 100% owned by Fiat, 2 the engines and a lot of the tech is different enough throguh Fiats different companies (Maserati, Ferarri, Fiat, lancia, Alfa Romeo) differes enoguh that even if they did it is important to mention which umbrella the engine you are speaking of falls under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I don't believe the 6.4 in the SRT8s has cylinder de-activation.

Another part of AFM that I think affects truck owners less than Camaro owners (and in particular, Camaro owners on this website) is aftermarket exhausts. I'm sure GM does what they can to eliminate the unpleasantness of the 3.1L V4 sound through careful exhaust tuning. But if you replace the muffler with one that isn't trying to minimize some of the bad frequencies (and instead might amplify a few of them), its not going to be a fun experience.
The 6.4 on automatic SRTs do, on manuals they do not. Same with the 5.7.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
RocketCutlass
Property USMC

Drives: 95 Caprice 9C1
Guess no one is going to mention the RPO of the 6.2 which is L86. Wonder what's next in line as far as L87 and..........
RocketCutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Actually CHRSLER'S V8s do. 1 Chrysler is not 100% owned by Fiat, 2 the engines and a lot of the tech is different enough throguh Fiats different companies (Maserati, Ferarri, Fiat, lancia, Alfa Romeo) differes enoguh that even if they did it is important to mention which umbrella the engine you are speaking of falls under.

The 6.4 on automatic SRTs do, on manuals they do not. Same with the 5.7.
Sorry majority owned makes them Fiat. JMO. Will you guys buy it in 6 months when they own 100%? They are controlled by Fiat plane and simple.

It was really close to being GM if the government had their way but that didn't happen so Fiat basically took the 2 billion they got from GM and got a controlling stake in Chrysler.

So one could argue that Rick Wagner gave Fiat Chrysler.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #13
evilstevie

Drives: 2022 RBM 2SS 1le
I'd be a lot more interested in seeing the physical dimensions and weight of both motors.
evilstevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #14
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:

Audi uses it on their V8 as well (at least on the S6 I've been looking at)...