Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
tjk_art

Drives: 2010
How to fix bird poo paint damage?

I've got some raised areas on my paint due to bird shit from a long time ago. I know that wet sanding is an option but I was curious if there was any other way to fix it? Would a PC and some Adams products knock it out?
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Prospective Buyer

Drives: Acura TL Acura MDX
Ive got damage on our TL too. This one damn bird continues to shit all over it.
Prospective Buyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Raised areas? Like bubbling? If thats the case your SOL pretty much b/c the paint is failing.

Are you sure is raised? Any pictures you can share?
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
tjk_art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Raised areas? Like bubbling? If thats the case your SOL pretty much b/c the paint is failing.

Are you sure is raised? Any pictures you can share?
I can feel it when I run my hand across it. I didn't noticed it was raised until I was detailing yesterday, I always thought they were just outlines I could buff out. I will get some pictures in a sec.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Adam's Polishes

raised would be unusual... typically a bird bomb etches the finish leaving a void
Old 06-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
tjk_art

There you go Dylan.. lemme know if you think anything can be done
Old 06-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Adam's Polishes

YIKES! That does look to be bubbling in which case I'd say theres not a whole heck of a lot you can do... that spot will likely not take to well to polishing as a bubble means that part of the paint is no longer bonded with the surface below it and could easily just flake off.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
tjk_art

Quote:
YIKES! That does look to be bubbling in which case I'd say theres not a whole heck of a lot you can do... that spot will likely not take to well to polishing as a bubble means that part of the paint is no longer bonded with the surface below it and could easily just flake off.
What is causing it to bubble??

Looks like its time to finally buy a sinister hood ....
Old 06-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Well if there was a bird bomb left on there for a long time and the sun got to it, probably that. Bubbling (paint failure) can be caused by poor paint prep as well, but since yours is in the shape of a bird bomb and you said thats what was there its likely the cause.

This is why is SO important to get stuff like that off your paint ASAP.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
Tecca

Drives: ...
Man what was that bird eating that must have been some acidic sh**
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
Quote:
Well if there was a bird bomb left on there for a long time and the sun got to it, probably that. Bubbling (paint failure) can be caused by poor paint prep as well, but since yours is in the shape of a bird bomb and you said thats what was there its likely the cause.

Any way to remove other than re-painting? And will it eventually chip/flake off? I've got the exact same thing on my roof.

First I tried APC. Nope.
Then clay. Nope.
Then rubbing compound. Nope.
Then 3000 grit wet sanding. This smoothed the surface but the paint is still "warped" looking like the OP's pic. I'm furious. I haven't had any problems with bird bombs before. This one was from hell. I was way to busy with work to get it when it happened and didn't have my WW with me. It was only on there two days and now my paint is effed!

lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
Adam's Polishes

With what hes got there, no not really... once paint bubbles its no longer repairable. When that 'blister' pops you'll be left with a bare spot.

With etching it depends on the severity, sometimes polishing will fix, sometimes it takes wetsanding, but what he has is beyond just etching.

I agree with Tecc... the bird that dropped that on the car must've been chewing batteries before it let that one go LOL
Old 06-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #13
Hetfield03

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black/IOM
I just had to clean some off when I went into work. Need to buy a gun. Start killing birds I guess.
ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Hetfield03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
tjk_art

Quote:

If it was poor prep that led to the bird bomb causing paint failure, would I be able to get any warranty on that?