Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Capvid
Preditor

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT2 RS
ATTENTION: Two Plate State Owners!

I'm in Maryland, which currently by law requires a front plate on all vehicles registered in the state.

Needless to say, I was extremely surprised when I took delivery to discover there is no front plate bracket, nor does there appear to be any place to install one without drilling and cutting into the bumper.

I discussed this with the dealer, and they said both the Corvette and the Camaro have been delivered this way for the past five years, and that they could not promise that if drilling and cutting is done, there might not be spider-webbing damage that spreads over time, like a crack in a windshield, and they would not be responsible for that damage.

Sooooooo......I'm wondering what if any "run ins" with Deputy Dawg any of you "2 plate staters" may have had, and how it turned out.
Capvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Search JacFab on this site. They have a nice bracket that I use.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
The bracket is usually in the trunk... it comes with the car. And yes, they drill to install it.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
KidKilowatt

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL1CK View Post
The bracket is usually in the trunk... it comes with the car. And yes, they drill to install it.
Agreed
2011 LLT RS Black on Black Loaded. [x]Showstopper 45th Anniversary inspired Camaro RS Stripes, [x] MPD1 Spoiler, [x] GM Heritage Grille. [x] Removed RS and Bowtie Emblems. [x] 30% Tinted Headlight Armour DRL's. [X ] Ruff Racing R954 Wheels [X] Solo Cat Back Mach X-LLT Exhaust [X ] Vmax Ported throttle body [x] Halo SC Reverse Hood Kit [x] Showstopper Painted, Modded Engine Cover [x] Cold Air Inductions CAI [x] Tinted Tails and Black Bezels [x] Megan Racing Street Series Coilovers [x] Belltech F&R Sways
Check out my build thread!
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212178
KidKilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Capvid, go and get your self a front bracket from Jac Fab, I did.....its a DO DRILL option....very high quality anbd worth every penny.

http://www.jacfab.com/camprod.html
Old 03-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
Capvid
Preditor

Yeah, it definitely looks like JacFab is the way to go. I like that it bolts on under the bumper and doesn't require cutting or drilling. Just attaches to the same bolts that mount the bumper to the front end. Thanks!

Last edited by Capvid; 03-25-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Haole
2017 SS

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
I agree, go with Jacfab. I've had mine for almost a year now with problems.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Go back to the dealer and ask where your front plate mount is. It should have come with the car since it is a state requirement. Ours was not installed either, it was in the trunk. Front plates are required in TX. There is NO cutting involved installing it, four small holes are drilled and the plate holder is riveted to the bumper cover. Your dealership is an idiot about the spider webbing.

The OEM plate holder installed in its intended place is not overly hideous. There are much worse looking ones on other vehicles. Man up and install the plate holder in its intended place. There are worse things in life to worry about.

Everyone has their opinion on what they like and dislike. That is our god given right. For me, the JacFab doesn't look good and I like the OEM holder much better. But, like I said, it is all personal preferance.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
Capvid
Preditor

Navy Dood:

Thanks for the advice, and I will contact the dealer about the plate mount, but I have decided to go with the JacFab bracket, since no drilling or cutting is required.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
Go back to the dealer and ask where your front plate mount is. It should have come with the car since it is a state requirement. Ours was not installed either, it was in the trunk. Front plates are required in TX. There is NO cutting involved installing it, four small holes are drilled and the plate holder is riveted to the bumper cover. Your dealership is an idiot about the spider webbing.

The OEM plate holder installed in its intended place is not overly hideous. There are much worse looking ones on other vehicles. Man up and install the plate holder in its intended place. There are worse things in life to worry about.

Everyone has their opinion on what they like and dislike. That is our god given right. For me, the JacFab doesn't look good and I like the OEM holder much better. But, like I said, it is all personal preferance.

Not exactly true... you've probably got spiderwebbing on yours since they drilled into your fascia. It's UNDER the bracket... in about 2-3 more years, it will be outside the bracket from vibration, temp changes.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
I just went with plan B (no plate). I keep the plate under my front seat if I get asked. I think my car looks better without it.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
Capvid
Preditor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
I just went with plan B (no plate). I keep the plate under my front seat if I get asked. I think my car looks better without it.
That's exactly what I'm doing right now for the same reason, and will continue until if and when I get nailed by Smokey Bear. Then, depending on how that turns out, plan B is the JacFab bracket.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
USARCPT

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS TF3 LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capvid View Post
I'm in Maryland, which currently by law requires a front plate on all vehicles registered in the state.

Needless to say, I was extremely surprised when I took delivery to discover there is no front plate bracket, nor does there appear to be any place to install one without drilling and cutting into the bumper.

I discussed this with the dealer, and they said both the Corvette and the Camaro have been delivered this way for the past five years, and that they could not promise that if drilling and cutting is done, there might not be spider-webbing damage that spreads over time, like a crack in a windshield, and they would not be responsible for that damage.

Sooooooo......I'm wondering what if any "run ins" with Deputy Dawg any of you "2 plate staters" may have had, and how it turned out.
I wrote a write-up/review on the installation of one method one can use when attaching the front tag, complete with photos.

In my full-time and part-time occupations, it's not a good example for me to run afoul of any laws ("Deputy Dawg[s]") if I can help it, even when I really don't like a few of such laws....
Old 03-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #14
Capvid
Preditor

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAR2LT View Post
I wrote a write-up/review on the installation of one method one can use when attaching the front tag, complete with photos.
I'd like to see that. Could you provide a link? Or PM me?

Thanks!