Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
rd-camaro

Drives: 2010 2LT Blk IOM stripes IO leather
foam gun procedure?

can somebody please tell me the foam gun procedure?

i keep seeing people rinse the car, then foam the car, then right away start scrubbing with a pad or mitt...this doesnt make sense to me...the foam gun is used to break up and loosen the dirt/film on the paint...so the dirt is floating around in the foam when it is loosened up right? why would you go ahead and starting scrubbing the car with the dirt mixed with the foam? wouldnt it be better the rinse the foam off the car then use the 2 bucket method? wouldnt this avoid swirls better? and yes i have watch the junkmans videos and have detailed my car many many times using adams polishes and junkmans methods....

thanks
Corsa Catback, Injen Wrinkle Black Short Ram Intake, 8000k BI XENON Bulbs, LED Fog Bulbs, RX Oil Catch Can, VMax Black Ice-olater, CNC spiral ported Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, BBK LT Ceramic Silver Headers

TEAM LLT

Ordered: June 2009
Born: September 2009
Delivered: October 2009
rd-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
DetailAddict

Drives: .
i usually start with the wheels and tires first
then pressure wash off dirt, bird dropping, etc
then foam (including wheels/tires again)
then dual bucket wash
then low pressure rinse

the key for me is that i use pressure washer to rinse off prior to foam
DetailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
rd-camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailAddict View Post
i usually start with the wheels and tires first
then pressure wash off dirt, bird dropping, etc
then foam (including wheels/tires again)
then dual bucket wash
then low pressure rinse

the key for me is that i use pressure washer to rinse off prior to foam
right i understand the 'whole' car washing process...my question is do you rinse the foam off before the 2 bucket method? or leave the foam on the car during the 2 bucket method?
Corsa Catback, Injen Wrinkle Black Short Ram Intake, 8000k BI XENON Bulbs, LED Fog Bulbs, RX Oil Catch Can, VMax Black Ice-olater, CNC spiral ported Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, BBK LT Ceramic Silver Headers

TEAM LLT

Old 09-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd-camaro View Post
can somebody please tell me the foam gun procedure?

i keep seeing people rinse the car, then foam the car, then right away start scrubbing with a pad or mitt...this doesnt make sense to me...the foam gun is used to break up and loosen the dirt/film on the paint...so the dirt is floating around in the foam when it is loosened up right? why would you go ahead and starting scrubbing the car with the dirt mixed with the foam? wouldnt it be better the rinse the foam off the car then use the 2 bucket method? wouldnt this avoid swirls better? and yes i have watch the junkmans videos and have detailed my car many many times using adams polishes and junkmans methods....

thanks
the dirt isn't "floating around in the foam"... the scum is loosened and "lubricated" by the foam...

you better watch those Junkman videos again. they made perfect sense the first time i watched them.
KeepItGreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

spray off the car, getting it completely soaked and rinsing off all the loose dirt

then foam

then two bucket method, and rinse

then pool the beaded water and let it run off

then dab the wet spots dry
Old 09-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
rd-camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItGreasey View Post
spray off the car, getting it completely soaked and rinsing off all the loose dirt

then foam

then two bucket method, and rinse

then pool the beaded water and let it run off

then dab the wet spots dry

after pooling the water off i usually spray the whole car with detail spray and then wipe it down using the MF white drying towel...

TEAM LLT

Old 09-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Quote:
after pooling the water off i usually spray the whole car with detail spray and then wipe it down using the MF white drying towel...
when in doubt, refer to the Junkman aka Grady
Old 09-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Gramps

Drives: 2011 1LT/RJT/Auto/
I'm totally against spraying the whole car with detail spray...then wiping it off. That makes NO sense to me whatsoever (yeah the people selling the stuff say it makes the drying process easier). It doesn't in my view. I've tried it several times, and each time I kick myself in the ass after-wards saying "why in the world did I do that"? No thanks...I will stick with drying the car (after I rinse with open nozzle water stream) using a good leaf blower...then dabbing the few remaining droplets with a double-weeve drying towel. There is NO wiping involved...I mean NONE.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
DetailAddict

Drives: .
i leave the foam and not rinse before the dual bucket wash because the pressure washer rinse.

Quote:
right i understand the 'whole' car washing process...my question is do you rinse the foam off before the 2 bucket method? or leave the foam on the car during the 2 bucket method?
DetailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
rd-camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
I'm totally against spraying the whole car with detail spray...then wiping it off. That makes NO sense to me whatsoever (yeah the people selling the stuff say it makes the drying process easier). It doesn't in my view. I've tried it several times, and each time I kick myself in the ass after-wards saying "why in the world did I do that"? No thanks...I will stick with drying the car (after I rinse with open nozzle water stream) using a good leaf blower...then dabbing the few remaining droplets with a double-weeve drying towel. There is NO wiping involved...I mean NONE.
so you pretty much dry your whole car off using the leaf blower? how long does that take? you dont manage to get water stream marks anywhere?

TEAM LLT

Old 09-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #11
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
RD-Camaro, i leaf blow my whole car. It takes my 7-8 min to dry the whole car. I might have 1 or 2 spots i didnt get in time that leave a slight water spot. 1 quick spray of the detail spray and im done.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #12
rd-camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
RD-Camaro, i leaf blow my whole car. It takes my 7-8 min to dry the whole car. I might have 1 or 2 spots i didnt get in time that leave a slight water spot. 1 quick spray of the detail spray and im done.
I think I'm going to try it and see what happens. What is your mph rating on your leaf blower? You detail spray the whole car after drying or just the spots you missed?

TEAM LLT

Old 09-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #13
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
A) Who said anything about using DS to dry the car?

B) Do you wear a tin foil cap too? Is everything a conspiracy theory to sell product?

To the OP -

I like to foam the car twice -
Rinse to release the heavy dirt and grit
1st Foam down - let dwell (5 min or so) and lift dirt (re-fill your foam gun)
Rinse foam and grit - again to get rid of all the heavy stuff
2nd foam down - and on to the two bucket method.

EDIT:
Is the second foam down necessary? Not really - I do it purely for extra lubrication between the wash mitt and clear coat.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #14
Blacknight11

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS
Foam spray gun

Where can I get a foam spray gun. I ordered a few products from Adams but they did not have any foan spray guns left.
Blacknight11 is offline   Reply With Quote