Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
87irocz
Intermediate Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Problem Window Tinting?

I asked my dealership today if they could do window tinting on my new Camaro when it arrived. This was their response

"We don’t do window tinting, you have to be careful with tint on windows that index, like the Camaro and the Corvette."

Has anyone heard of problems associated with tinting?
Thanks,
87irocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Maybe this will help!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ng-for-c6.html
Old 04-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
cyberbro

Drives: Not a Camaro at this time
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87irocz View Post
I asked my dealership today if they could do window tinting on my new Camaro when it arrived. This was their response

"We don’t do window tinting, you have to be careful with tint on windows that index, like the Camaro and the Corvette."

Has anyone heard of problems associated with tinting?
Thanks,
I had a vert that had this feture and you can still tint them. they need to add heat to dry fast.
2000 9/22/15 (Order changed)

2016 2SS With Auto, NPP, MRC, Nav, Split 5 Spoke Bright Aluminum.
cyberbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Good information. Thanks. I'll be doing this too

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
zzz28zzz

Drives: 2010 Chev Camaro 2SS/RS VR -
Will they have to remove door panels to install the tint??
That just makes me cringe
zzz28zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:15 AM   #6
acerothstien

Drives: 2007 gt500, 1993 cobra R ,
Window Tinting

I owned a window tinting and auto accessory shop for almost 10 years ... they wont take any panels off the car and as far as the indexing this is not by far the first car to have this feature. The bmw has been doing it for years. Dont worry about it just take it to a pro they will hook you up. As far as the dealer saying not to... he doesent have a clue , probrobly has not ever tinted a window in his life!
acerothstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
hw
VIN:3802

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS
I had my windows tinted the second day after getting my Camaro. No problems with the door windows. What I did not like was how they did the back window. The installer was not able to get behind the center brake light to get the bubbles out from under the film, so he cut around it. If you look at the brake light, you will notice that it is molded into to the back dash panel. I have since picked up the drawings from the dealer service department. However, to get the back dash out of the way, the lower side quarter panels will have to be removed. Starting to get a bit difficult. Has anyone else had their camaro tinted, and if so, how did the installer do the back window. If someone has gotten the entire rear window tinted could you send me a picture and instructions how they did it. Thanks.
hw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Jferrell88

Drives: black 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hw View Post
I had my windows tinted the second day after getting my Camaro. No problems with the door windows. What I did not like was how they did the back window. The installer was not able to get behind the center brake light to get the bubbles out from under the film, so he cut around it. If you look at the brake light, you will notice that it is molded into to the back dash panel. I have since picked up the drawings from the dealer service department. However, to get the back dash out of the way, the lower side quarter panels will have to be removed. Starting to get a bit difficult. Has anyone else had their camaro tinted, and if so, how did the installer do the back window. If someone has gotten the entire rear window tinted could you send me a picture and instructions how they did it. Thanks.
my installer worked around the light in the back window and had no issues at all i went over my windows for an hour looking for an imperfection and found not a one, he did say it was a little tricky in the back window but he said all it took was a little patience and just knowing how to work your materials. As for the indexing he said he simply just made the tint go down a little father toward the bottom of the car than he normally would as to you would see no long term issues with the windows indexing and bubbles and streaking. this guy knows his stuff and is a true professional
Old 05-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #9
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Does anyone know what the TINT % is already on the Camaro from Oshawa??

I noticed It was marked on the window already....70%

Last edited by RickRay; 06-03-2009 at 10:30 PM.
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
Jferrell88

Drives: black 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRay View Post
I didn't think there was any tinting to the windows at all from the factory. I could be wrong, I'm sure one of are camaro know it alls will correct me if i am incorrect.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerothstien View Post
I owned a window tinting and auto accessory shop for almost 10 years ... they wont take any panels off the car and as far as the indexing this is not by far the first car to have this feature. The bmw has been doing it for years. Dont worry about it just take it to a pro they will hook you up. As far as the dealer saying not to... he doesent have a clue , probrobly has not ever tinted a window in his life!
+1 I own a BMW took it to a pro tint shop, they did it just fine
Old 05-22-2009, 02:47 AM   #12
Shadowmind

Drives: 2010 2SS - IOM, fully loaded
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRay View Post
No factory tinting. All of the images of Camaros on the Chevy cite are just eye candy.

You have to take care of it yourself, since the tint laws vary state to state.
Shadowmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #13
hw
VIN:3802

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jferrell88 View Post
my installer worked around the light in the back window and had no issues at all i went over my windows for an hour looking for an imperfection and found not a one, he did say it was a little tricky in the back window but he said all it took was a little patience and just knowing how to work your materials. As for the indexing he said he simply just made the tint go down a little father toward the bottom of the car than he normally would as to you would see no long term issues with the windows indexing and bubbles and streaking. this guy knows his stuff and is a true professional

Thanks for the info., I'll be back to the tint guy next week to have the back window redone.
hw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #14
bob2the2nd

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
ALL windows that come on cars are pretinted, this had been said as much by I believe FbodFather. the key is knowing what percent they are. because when you start adding up tints you can quickly pass the legal amount without knowing it. (im not sure but I believe it started in a thread about an IOM car with blacked out windows)

1100: 11-29-08
6000: 6-29-09
cracked windshield: 7-1-09
1000 miles 7-4-09
windshield replaced: 7-9-09
2000 miles 7-10-09 (yep 2000 miles in 11 days)
3000 miles 7-16-09
4000 miles 7-30-09
bob2the2nd is offline   Reply With Quote