Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #29
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Think of it from GM's perspective:

1. You have a great product that is selling very well.

2. There is an expectation that next year's product will be more desirable to a large segment of the customer base.

My guess is they want to decrease that expectation to keep the current line selling well. After all, would you be as excited to buy a top-of-the-line 2SS when you know the Z28 is coming out next month?

Heck, I had even decided to wait for the Z, and I want one so bad I wake up remembering burnt rubber mixed with the "new car smell" from my dreams.

While we consider love of the car, they consider profitability first.

I hate that... but I can understand it.

( That still doesn't mean they won't make one when the time is right for best profitability. )

OK, on second thought, screw that.

"HEY GM, I got your profitability right here."

"Make a Z28 and I'll show it to Ya."

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #30
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
I think it's like the 2010-2011 mustang. Everyone knew the 2011 would be better and 2010 sales are very low because of it. I think GM will ride out this wave of Camaro success as long as then can and when sales slow they will officially announce the Z28. A company, no matter what their financial situation is, doesn't dump that much money and people as high up as Ed Welburn don't talk about a product unless it's coming out. My guess would be a 2011 NAIAS unveiling.

Last edited by Black5thgen; 12-03-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:10 PM   #31
priz23
On 2nd 2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS -Cyber Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
Think of it from GM's perspective:

1. You have a great product that is selling very well.

2. There is an expectation that next year's product will be more desirable to a large segment of the customer base.

My guess is they want to decrease that expectation to keep the current line selling well. After all, would you be as excited to buy a top-of-the-line 2SS when you know the Z28 is coming out next month?

Heck, I had even decided to wait for the Z, and I want one so bad I wake up remembering burnt rubber mixed with the "new car smell" from my dreams.

While we consider love of the car, they consider profitability first.

I hate that... but I can understand it.

( That still doesn't mean they won't make one when the time is right for best profitability. )

OK, on second thought, screw that.

"HEY GM, I got your profitability right here."

"Make a Z28 and I'll show it to Ya."

I think that's right on point. Convert out in 2011, z in 2012 or 2013. Pace them to keep interest up. Announce a Z today and you might kill a lot of purchases.

The whole profitability thing is bs. That's a car they can sell with limited advertising and incentives. Also, they're losing tons of money because of past sins (see the retirement program), a low volume car that actually sells won't save them, but its not going to hurt them. If anything, it will get more butts into the show room. To get out of their rut they need to have better high volume cars. Malibu is helping, but Ford is performing better because the Taurus and Fusion are kicking the Impala and Malibus tail combined. If they can get the impala back on track, and if the Cruze can compete with the focus and imports, GM/Chevy will be okay. The Z project is not going to sink or save GM. I think it could only help because of the press and foot traffic it might generate.
priz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #32
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
It's kind of hard to put something on hold that was never really a GO in the first place except in the rumor mills.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #33
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwby View Post
It's kind of hard to put something on hold that was never really a GO in the first place except in the rumor mills.
I said that once and the thread got closed.
meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #34
FrankT
400HP used to be enough..

Drives: 2010 2SS rs manual
I'm building my own Z28. Have more power than I need now, and handling will be there within the next few weeks...
Old 12-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #35
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Got news for ya, I didn't pay MSRP on my GT500, either. Yes, there is a considerable price difference between a 1SS and a GT500, but you get what you pay for, and by that I mean more than just the difference in the two car's quarter mile times.

ORLY? You better be prepared to spend more than a couple grand to do it. I'd hazard to guess your mouth is writing checks your ass can't cash.

"you Mustang guys". That kills me. I currently drive a Mustang so that makes one of them. Okay. Was I still a "Mustang" guy when I was sporting my 2006 GTO?

So, have you actually ever had your car on a track, or is your only source of reference to determine what car is faster than another YouTube?

Back on topic, I agree with the sentiments of some others. GM is not currently in the position to produce the Z28 in-house, at least not as far as the Board of Directors is concerned. If GM want to produce a niche-market version of the new Camaro, they are better off outsourcing it so someone else. Even then, they will have to find a way to allocate funds for making that happen which, given the current state of things at GM, could still pose a major issue.

LOL, not a mustang guy? Give it a rest. Why are you so worried about being called a Mustang guy anyway?
Old 12-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #36
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
The 2010 Chevy Camaro is finally starting to roll off the production line, but there are rumors that two of the hotly anticipated variants are in jeopardy.

The Detroit Bureau is reporting that the Camaro convertible and Z28 variants are being delayed and may eventually be canceled due to the budget crisis hitting GM and its many suppliers. The main issue with the Camaro convertible has to do with the collapse of the German company that was supposed to supply it. It was originally planned that the convertible would launch about a year after the coupe, but since GM now has to seek a new supplier, the convertible could be delayed even further.

As for the Z28, it may just cost too much to produce according to Gene Stefanyshyn, Camaro’s Vehicle Line Executive. Stefanyshyn estimated that it would cost GM approximately $50 million to bring it to market. The Z28 would have featured well over 500 horsepower and would have been the halo car for the Camaro lineup.

Full Story: The Detroit Bureau

Tags:Chevrolet Chevy Camaro GM
Posted by Marc Carter on March 20, 2009 9:21 AM |

OLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD information!

Keep the faith!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #37
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
After reading the article linked it apparent the author doesn't know much about the Camaro. He's says it was Holden designed, which is wasn't. It's Holden engineered, I agree. Keep the faith.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #38
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Very old information
Old 12-04-2009, 12:50 AM   #39
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
The 2010 Chevy Camaro is finally starting to roll off the production line, but there are rumors that two of the hotly anticipated variants are in jeopardy.

The Detroit Bureau is reporting that the Camaro convertible and Z28 variants are being delayed and may eventually be canceled due to the budget crisis hitting GM and its many suppliers. The main issue with the Camaro convertible has to do with the collapse of the German company that was supposed to supply it. It was originally planned that the convertible would launch about a year after the coupe, but since GM now has to seek a new supplier, the convertible could be delayed even further.

As for the Z28, it may just cost too much to produce according to Gene Stefanyshyn, Camaro’s Vehicle Line Executive. Stefanyshyn estimated that it would cost GM approximately $50 million to bring it to market. The Z28 would have featured well over 500 horsepower and would have been the halo car for the Camaro lineup.

Full Story: The Detroit Bureau

Tags:Chevrolet Chevy Camaro GM
Posted by Marc Carter on March 20, 2009 9:21 AM |

OLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD information!

Keep the faith!
I was about to suggest that. You one-uped me by providing their likely source
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:20 AM   #40
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
This is from ONE source in Australia. Don't believe it. Old, now inaccurate news.

Put another shrimp on the barbie mate...Leave the Z28 alone.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/c...1203-k71z.html
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:38 AM   #41
nashstat

Drives: 2SS Camaro
I think GM needs to focus on vehicles that will sell to the masses just the way Ford did with the Focus, Fusion and now Taurus. Ford is now making profits and GM is firing CEO's and is running on tax payers money...

They have the Camaro and the Corvette as performance vehicles, not to mention the CTS-V for luxury sports...

Now they need to make cars that make money like the Civic's, Camry's, Corolla's, Jetta's etc... say what you will about these cars, but they sell and make their respectable companies money...

I love the Corvette and Camaro, but personally would buy a Japanese or German car before touching a Malibu, Impala, HHR or Aveo... those cars just dont have the build quality that their competitors have and their interiors just look dull!
nashstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:17 AM   #42
Al Robinson
RACKM

Drives: 2001 Mazda MilleniaS
GM has been losing money on every car they build. If you can't make money on a Colbalt you can't make money on a Camaro. You could build a Z/28 from parts that are already in production as far as engines go. No re-tooling would be necessary. As for suspensions, Pedders street-pro or similar systems could be used since these are already aftermarket ready pieces. The same manufaturer that will make the heritage grill could make a similar grill from the Leno Camaro that would be available only on the Z. The Leno spoiler or Dale spoiler could be contracted to be made by companies already making after market spoilers.

GM has management issues that go beyond whether a Z/28 will be profitable. This years Corvette did not make it into Motor Trends "10 Best" this year because in they said that although it is a world class performer. They still don't understand why the interior is still cheap looking. A hyundai has a better looking interior. Even Cadillac and an Impala have better looking interiors.

Maybe the reason Ford is making a profit or an exceptable profit margin, is they made the hard choices to restructure. Not to make this a place for political speeches, but good businesses run on sound economics not Government businesses for politics, will win.
Al Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote