Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Triton2110
LUV'N THE CAMARO

Drives: 2110 2SS RS
69 Camaro Restoration Questions?

Hello,
I am new to this sight and had some questions regarding my 69 Camaro Coupe. This is an original complete numbers matching car that is in need of everything.
(1) I decoded it to be a factory 327 powerglide, however the fenders had 350 badging?
(2) Also has the chrome fish gills, wheel well chrome, and rocker chrome. which I did not think came with the coupe package?
(3) What is everyones thoghts on the restotration of this car. restore back to all orginal (frost grren car with green intertior) or Clone it into the Camro of my choice. (RS SS 396 or Z28 RS) If I clone I would keep all the original drive train.

I want to be sure I am doing the right thing when I restore her. This will be a full rotisserie restoration.

I am looking forward to your reponse.
Triton2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
family man

Drives: .
Check out http://www.camaros.net/forums/. They are more tailored for the 1st gen Camaros and can provide a lot of assistance. I use to hang out there when I had my '67.
family man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
My advice would be to build the car you would enjoy. Production numbers on 1969's were way higher than 67 & 68 due to running into 1970 and the popularity the cars enjoyed. A 327 car that is not a true, unmolested "survivor" will never generate enough money when sold to outweight you enjoying your own investment. I'm all for keeping mods reversible and keeping the original parts but enjoy the car!
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
My advice would be to build the car you would enjoy. Production numbers on 1969's were way higher than 67 & 68 due to running into 1970 and the popularity the cars enjoyed. A 327 car that is not a true, unmolested "survivor" will never generate enough money when sold to outweight you enjoying your own investment. I'm all for keeping mods reversible and keeping the original parts but enjoy the car!

It seems to be an early build '69 if the 327 is original so the "350" badges were added for the effect only. Not original.

The chrome you speak of was part of the style trim group option. It also included stainless steel trim on the roof rail gutters. If you don't currently have them you could add them and make the package complete. The trim tag could tell us if it was originally equipped with the package or not.

I personally see no issue in adding some factory options to an otherwise basic level car that is far from being a survivor. Change the colors if you decide that's what you like. Color is fixable if you or a future owner really wants to put it back to original some day. Try not to make an effort to hide anything or cut anything up and you are good in my book.

That being said, "Clones" or "tribute cars" will offend a good number of enthusiasts. Think about it for a while before you make a decision. It is your car but you can alienate yourself somewhat the more you change it from what it was, into something it isn't.

Just one opinion.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
Triton2110
LUV'N THE CAMARO

I have attached a picture of the Cowl tag. I also have the POP, but did not find a build sheet. This is an early model 327 car and I know the 307 came later. Will this make this a rare 327 car?

Yes this car has the stainless steel trim on the roof rail gutters included.

Would it have been possible the 350 badges were put on then?

I appreciate all the imformation I ahve been getting, I find it all very helpful. If I do decide to clone her I will be sure not to hide anything, but would want to look correct. Would also keep the entire drive train, sterring column ect..

Thanks to all!!
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Frost Green is a killer color and way more unique nowadays than painting it red or orange like everyone else. That color combo would be awesome if done right.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Your car was built at the Norwood Ohio plant before the X-codes were being used. They started using the X-codes on the second week of January '69 but your build week is too early. That means we can't tell from the trim tag if it was originally equipped with the style trim group. You might find a crayon marking on the rear bulkhead behind the back seat. If you have the seat out you can look for a crayon marking on the passenger side rear bulkhead of the car. You may see "X-1" written there (or some other letter related to the interior color followed by -1) and that would tell you the style trim option was original to the car.

-Mark.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
Triton2110
LUV'N THE CAMARO

Okay will check that out more closely. I have the car completely apart and ready to be preped for new metal ect.... Would the POP tell me anything? I do have that just no build sheet :( Thanks, Ron
Old 11-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
Triton2110
LUV'N THE CAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
Your car was built at the Norwood Ohio plant before the X-codes were being used. They started using the X-codes on the second week of January '69 but your build week is too early. That means we can't tell from the trim tag if it was originally equipped with the style trim group. You might find a crayon marking on the rear bulkhead behind the back seat. If you have the seat out you can look for a crayon marking on the passenger side rear bulkhead of the car. You may see "X-1" written there (or some other letter related to the interior color followed by -1) and that would tell you the style trim option was original to the car.

-Mark.
I found the crayon letters you spoke of LG-1 (light green interior??) Or does this mean something else???
Thanks
Old 11-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
family man

Drives: .
Check this link out, I used it to decode my 67 before I bought it.

http://www.nastyz28.com/decode.php
family man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:14 AM   #11
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton2110 View Post
I found the crayon letters you spoke of LG-1 (light green interior??) Or does this mean something else???
Thanks
Very cool! Yes, you have the Style Trim group option due to the "1" crayon marking and the "LG" part of the crayon marking makes sense due to the rare "721" Light Green standard interior color you have. This would have been an "X-11" Norwood tag code if it had been built later when they started putting the X-codes on the trim tags. Nobody has published any research on this early pre-X code crayon markings but from what I have seen over the years is that these trim codes were marked on the body so the Fisher production line would know what to build. They added the style trim pieces to the rear half of the car and sprayed the exposed interior metal parts light green on the Fisher body side of the assembly line. There are parts of the interior that need to be painted to match the interior color and this seems to be a way to communicate that information for workers at the beginning of the line. Just my opinion from looking at the few examples over the years. Again, this has never been fully researched.

My '69 was originally "79" code Rally Green with the very rare "722" Light Green Comfortweave interior. I doubt if anyone has ever even seen one like that. It is rare for a reason. The car was built in the first week of October '68 so mine is also too early for the X-codes on the trim tag. The crayon marking is "LG7" on the rear bulkhead so it had the light green interior color paint and the "7" decodes to Z/28 without style trim or RS.

My car was already repainted black and the interior had been partially replaced/re-dyed to black before I got it in the late 70's. I didn't love the original color combo much at the time and the pieces are impossible to find in that rare color so it just didn't make sense for me to try to put it back to original when I restored it. I apologise in advance to the Camaro restoration purists out there. The car is now Lemans Blue/White with Houndstooth interior .

Here is a link for you that will keep you busy for DAYS http://www.camaros.org/index.shtml

-Mark.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:08 AM   #12
pincoin
Camaro owner since 1982

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS-RS Conv IBM L99
If it was me I'd try to keep as original as possible.
pincoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Unless you plan to put it back complete the way it was from the factory then I would make it your own. Any deviation at all (even as much as a stereo or engine block) will not bring the big bucks. People that pay the big money for all orginal want that....all original.

I say make it your own.....which is what I did to mine.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I thought Forest Green was a Dark Green. My dad has a what we were told was Forest Green Camaro and it's much darker. Luckily it came with black interior. Green interior is

I will also say that even though it's not a common color and it looks good, his car seems to never win against other 1st Gens. Most people/judges still like brighter colors like blues, reds, and oranges. So I go back to my statement of Make It Your Own.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote