Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 AM   #71
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
I LOVE THIS CAR PERIOD!
Old 07-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #72
JBz007
Broke College Student

Drives: 2000 Hyundai Elantra
I believe GM is doing the right thing by holding onto the cars until the problem is fixed, all GM needs is another recall...
Old 07-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #73
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajikMD View Post
Jeez, man. Lay off a bit. If GM hadn't had all of the financial issues that it has recently, there's a good chance you wouldn't be bit**ing as much as you are.

As others said, it is a supplier part issue - GM didn't MAKE the tranny, they bought it. It seems that as soon as they realized there was a problem, they are working to fix it.

On another note, do you know how much energy is in a 4000-6000 rpm clutch dump?? I almost expect a few to break. Although I'm a ER doctor now, my initial degree is in mechanical engineering, so please trust me on this.

And on my last note...do you know the reason GM went under???? Is is NOT because they built a bad car. It is because they are trying to pay full retirement to 700,000 people, and only employ 50,000. It is a monumental strain on their finances. 700,000 retired employees. Just so you can see numbers...IF each of those people received 30k/yr as their full retirement (many receive ALOT more), that means GM is paying out $21 BILLION dollars each year just for retirement. Think about how they could make enough profit to maintain their facilities, pay their workers, fund concept development, advertise...you get the point.

I only say this because I get so tired of people ragging on GM without knowing the root of the problem - its not because of a recall or a bad part that GM went under. Keep that in mind, educate yourself a bit before you rant, and give them a break - they are immediately researching the problem as soon as it arose - what more could you expect?

That's not true, the Union I believe now pays for most of the retirement.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #74
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Some thoughts:

Go to a drag-strip and watch some people in their cars--

I saw a guy do a burnout (by accident I'd hope...) in REVERSE!

Launch control can maximize times in many cases.

HOWEVER -- you CAN turn the launch control off.....and when you do, some will hit the rev limiter and then just "dump" the clutch.....

......and THEN there are the 'burn-out' contests....(esp. from those who don't know what they're doing...)

.........and then there are the performance mods that have been done --

........so all I'm saying is this: Don't dump the clutch -- it's not a good thing to do no matter what you drive.......
yea, I see what you are saying. Maybe they should have made it so it wouldn't turn off and if someone mods it then warranty void. Still a great car for a good price. I'm sure gm will get it under control.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #75
CamaroSS24
Ford Convert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Yellow/RS pk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajikMD View Post
Jeez, man. Lay off a bit. If GM hadn't had all of the financial issues that it has recently, there's a good chance you wouldn't be bit**ing as much as you are.

As others said, it is a supplier part issue - GM didn't MAKE the tranny, they bought it. It seems that as soon as they realized there was a problem, they are working to fix it.

On another note, do you know how much energy is in a 4000-6000 rpm clutch dump?? I almost expect a few to break. Although I'm a ER doctor now, my initial degree is in mechanical engineering, so please trust me on this.

And on my last note...do you know the reason GM went under???? Is is NOT because they built a bad car. It is because they are trying to pay full retirement to 700,000 people, and only employ 50,000. It is a monumental strain on their finances. 700,000 retired employees. Just so you can see numbers...IF each of those people received 30k/yr as their full retirement (many receive ALOT more), that means GM is paying out $21 BILLION dollars each year just for retirement. Think about how they could make enough profit to maintain their facilities, pay their workers, fund concept development, advertise...you get the point.

I only say this because I get so tired of people ragging on GM without knowing the root of the problem - its not because of a recall or a bad part that GM went under. Keep that in mind, educate yourself a bit before you rant, and give them a break - they are immediately researching the problem as soon as it arose - what more could you expect?
Well said MajikMD. GM's issues are so complex, it's ridiculous. I'm just glad to be in a position to get one of these beauties, and especially b/c of the situation GM is in, they probably won't be around long. Take heed in Bob Lutz saying 4s and 6s are the future.
ORDERED: April 15, 2009 Est. Delivery: August, 2009?

Old 07-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #76
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleybacker View Post
My car has a TPW of July 20th. Does this mean my car won't be made?
Everybody's car will be made and delivered. The question here is "when".

It shouldn't take long to figure out and fix what the problem is, though. Stay tuned.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #77
attymf

Drives: 2017 SS
The issues we have been seeing or very common for a new design car for the first year no matter who built it.

As to the Tremec T56 tranny. I am very surprised this is the issue. I beleive that tranny has been around for some time and used in many other vehicles.

I've been waiting for 5 months. My car is built and not being delivered. Believe me I am going nuts over here but everything that is taking place is routine in my opinion.

Also, I hate the UAW but isn't the tranny Mexican. So, the UAW has nothing to do with the tranny.

We are just a bunch of little kids who cant wait for Christmas.

SS, A8, Procharger, M&T's and stuff...
Old 07-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #78
OldTimer

Drives: 2012 Victory Red ZL1 MG9
I have had my 2SS/RS 2 and 1/2 months, 2025 miles. Not one problem. Taught my two sons how to drive a manual with it, so you can imagine how many times that clutch got popped and the car stalled.

Anyone who purchased or is purchasing the first year of a brand new model car and does not expect a few problems or recalls is kidding themselves. And if you think the foreign cars are any better, think again. I turned in a 1998 Lexus under the lemon law. Yep, they took it back and gave me another. By then, the '99s were out and I got one of them.

I have not had any issues with mine yet, but, after reading all the posts on this forum I know one will most likely come my way. I won't be surprised when it does and I know it will be handled appropriately by the warranty.

Anyway, just my two cents for what its worth.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:49 AM   #79
McGruff

Drives: 98 Saturn
If they don't have a recall, can we still take our cars in to have the tranny replaced anyways? I don't want to be driving always worrying about when my tranny will break and having to baby it.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #80
Mr. Wyndham

Just a reminder to everybody to try and stay on topic, please.

We will know soon enough what exactly the issue was, the cause, and what will be done about it, so please have some patience.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #81
mondain

Drives: toyota
The tranny is a Tremec TR6060, a derivative of the T56. It is the same tranny (according to Wiki) used in the 2007 GT500, 2008 Corvette, 2008 Viper, 2009 Challenger, 2009 G8 GXP, etc.

There should be NO reason we cant rev to 6000 RPM and dump the clutch. You dont think any owners of those other cars do that?

The tranny isnt the problem, it has to be something specific with a certain batch.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #82
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGruff View Post
If they don't have a recall, can we still take our cars in to have the tranny replaced anyways? I don't want to be driving always worrying about when my tranny will break and having to baby it.
No. As stated in the OP, dealers won't replace anything unless it's a legitimate warranty claim....which this is not, yet.

So far, this issue seems to have been limited to a small amount of SSs, so chances are your car will be fine. In the event it's not -- that's what a warranty is for. There's no benefit to babying the car out of fear the tranny will break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondain View Post
The tranny is a Tremec TR6060, a derivative of the T56. It is the same tranny (according to Wiki) used in the 2007 GT500, 2008 Corvette, 2008 Viper, 2009 Challenger, 2009 G8 GXP, etc.

There should be NO reason we cant rev to 6000 RPM and dump the clutch. You dont think any owners of those other cars do that?

The tranny isnt the problem, it has to be something specific with a certain batch.
While your point is a good one, Tremec has many different versions of the TR6060, all with their own sub-designations like "MM6"... and all of them are rated to different power/torque levels. The transmission in the Viper, for instance, is NOT the same one in the Camaro.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #83
BackinBlack
KASPR

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS RS LS3
I hear the occassional funny noise out of my MN6, but it drives fine. With only 1100 miles and a perfect break-in period so far (never exceeded 4000rpm, no stalls, no lugging in a high gear, and never seen 100mph), I really doubt I'll see a problem.

Maybe it'll just be a TSB that the dealers will handle the next time you come in for service.

To McGruff, no one is going to replace your tranny if it isn't broken. Drive it like you normally would, and if it breaks take it in for repair. If it doesn't break I hope you at least enjoyed the time you spent driving it.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #84
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by attymf View Post
The issues we have been seeing or very common for a new design car for the first year no matter who built it.

As to the Tremec T56 tranny. I am very surprised this is the issue. I beleive that tranny has been around for some time and used in many other vehicles.

I've been waiting for 5 months. My car is built and not being delivered. Believe me I am going nuts over here but everything that is taking place is routine in my opinion.

Also, I hate the UAW but isn't the tranny Mexican. So, the UAW has nothing to do with the tranny.

We are just a bunch of little kids who cant wait for Christmas.
The launch control is generating an extreme amount of energy then it's unleashed on the poor tranny lol. So KITT's fault.

The component is simply gonna have to be hardend and probably in future years might even need to make a design change or two.

Closed Thread