Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Pfadt Camaro Rear Toe Link Reinforcement Kit Install write-up

Hello everyone!

At Pfadt, we are not just content with building products that look pretty. We design all of our pieces to take care of problems and needs that your Camaro has. We started by looking at the factory pieces to see where the deficiencies are. Under a realistic cornering load the deflection in the steel arm itself is 2.4mm. That is obviously not conducive to good handling and cornering feel. The deflection amount is almost exactly the same in compression.

Armed with this information, we decided that we could stiffen up that arm with a simple, inexpensive DIY brace. With the brace installed on the part, the deflection is reduced to less than 1mm with the same load.

If you are looking for more information, including more images and FEA discussion, please visit this thread here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54813

Below I have outlined a procedure for the installation of this product. Take a look and by all means please let us know if you have any questions. Thank you!

The full version of install documentation for this and other products are located here: http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/?page_id=113

Product:
Rear Toe Link Reinforcement Kit

Part Number:

Applications:
Chevrolet Camaro, 2010-Present

Description:
The Rear Toe Link Reinforcement Kit is designed to strengthen the OEM rear toe link, reducing deflection and unwanted toe change in extreme performance applications.

What’s in the box:
(2) –Reinforcement Plates

Difficulty of Installation:
Beginner |-------------------------------x-------------| Advanced
Reason: While the general installation of this product is very simple it does require welding which is considered advanced.

Expected Installation Time: 1 Hour and 20 Minutes

Recommended Tools:
•18mm Socket and Ratchet
•21mm Box End Wrench
•21mm Socket and Ratchet
•Needle Nose Pliers
•Press
•Marker/Scribe
•TIG Welder
•Sand Blaster

Installation Procedure

Safely lift and support the rear of the car.
Remove rear wheels.

Below indicates the toe link that you will be working on.

Mark position of rear toe adjuster bolts with marker/scribe so you can realign them later.

Using needle nose pliers unclip wheel speed sensor wire from toe link by squeezing the tabs together and pushing through the slot in the toe link.

Using the 18mm socket and ratchet remove the bolt connecting the toe link to the rear upright. Using the 21mm box end wrench and 21mm socket and ratchet remove the toe link adjuster bolt, eccentric washer and nut. Remove rear toe link.

The removed toe link should look like below.

On a press support the steel housing around the rubber bushing and press the factory bushings out of each end of the toe link.

Using a sand blaster or wire wheel remove the paint in the areas to be welded. Slide brace onto OEM toe link as shown below.

Stitch weld around each of the bushing housings in four places as shown below

Stitch weld along each side of the toe link where the reinforcement plate touches.

Clean the welded assembly then paint or powder coat the welded toe link.
On the press again, support the steel bushing housing and press the bushings back into the toe link.

Slide the toe link back into the chassis and install the toe adjuster bolt, eccentric washer and nut. Align toe link and threaded hole in upright and install bolt and tighten with 18mm socket and torque wrench to 68 ft*lbs. Realign the mark on the adjuster bolt you made earlier and torque the nut to 98 ft*lbs with a 21mm socket and box end wrench taking care to keep the mark aligned while tightening.

Clip wheel speed sensor wire back into slots in the toe link.

Reinstall the wheels and safely lower car. Torque lug nuts.
Test drive and Enjoy!

Please contact Pfadt Customer Support with any questions!

Last edited by PfadtRacing; 02-04-2010 at 11:34 AM.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Dntblnk22
Awaiting my vert...

Drives: 2003 Dodge Ram
Why not just make a direct replacement part?

Please don't take this as a hostile response. I am inexperienced with suspension work and I am planning on doing the suspension work on my car myself after learning proper methods.

So, I am naturally curious as to why Pfadt would not just simply make a direct replacement part instead of a reinforcement that requires all the extra work to install.

The only reason I can figure is for cost. But I would think that most consumers would want to just install a direct replacement with some upgraded bushings.

By the way, the Pfadt coil overs look great and I am almost set on using them on my car. Looking forward to your response!

Thanks a bunch!

Tony
Old 01-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
PfadtRacing

Hi Tony, no worries on the questions at all. We are here to help, not to take offense at questions!

First and foremost, we are not pretending as if this is an "end all" solution to the rear tie link deficiencies. But, what it is, is a low-cost initial solution to this problem. For minimal cost, you can see an incredible gain in tension/compression and torsional stiffness. We intend on providing solutions to the rear suspension links at varying levels of cost and performance. This is simply the entry level offering, and we are currently designing/testing other offerings that will be available in the near future.

To be more specific, we are going to be offering steel replacement links, as well as carbon/aluminum pieces. You may have seen pre-release pics of them on the forums. These will have a higher cost of course, but will also be a bolt-in installation and have better strength/weight ratio's. We will also have replacement bushings for these links available with the components.

Thank you for the compliments on the coilovers. We anticipate that we can begin to ship these VERY soon so let us know if you have any more questions on them or other products we offer.

Last edited by PfadtRacing; 01-16-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
Dntblnk22
Awaiting my vert...

Drives: 2003 Dodge Ram
Thanks for the response!

That makes complete sense to me. I will be watching very closely as I am very interested in your products for my future car.

Thanks again for the explanation. Very much appreciated!

Tony
Old 01-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
PfadtRacing

Any time, Tony.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
PfadtRacing

These pieces are currently available for purchase Please call us or any of our dealers for more info/pricing.

We will be posting up a direct replacement link shortly.... keep an eye out next week!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
SSmegatwinky

Drives: I have a 4th & 5th gen camaro
Why is it so difficult to remove the inner bolt. The 21mm one. There's almost no room to pull it out. Any advice? Or specific instructions

2010 SS. Hotchkis Lowering Springs, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, Hotchkis Sport Adjustable Sway Bars, Granatelli Motorsports Adjustable Toe Rods, Flowmaster Cat Back Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Koni front and rear shocks/struts.
SSmegatwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #8
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Hi Tony, no worries on the questions at all. We are here to help, not to take offense at questions!

First and foremost, we are not pretending as if this is an "end all" solution to the rear tie link deficiencies. But, what it is, is a low-cost initial solution to this problem. For minimal cost, you can see an incredible gain in tension/compression and torsional stiffness. We intend on providing solutions to the rear suspension links at varying levels of cost and performance. This is simply the entry level offering, and we are currently designing/testing other offerings that will be available in the near future.

To be more specific, we are going to be offering steel replacement links, as well as carbon/aluminum pieces. You may have seen pre-release pics of them on the forums. These will have a higher cost of course, but will also be a bolt-in installation and have better strength/weight ratio's. We will also have replacement bushings for these links available with the components.

Thank you for the compliments on the coilovers. We anticipate that we can begin to ship these VERY soon so let us know if you have any more questions on them or other products we offer.
I thought you already had replacement links (link below)?
http://store.pfadtracing.com/2010-camaro-rear-tie-rod/
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #9
130R

Drives: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWNERW View Post
I thought you already had replacement links (link below)?
http://store.pfadtracing.com/2010-camaro-rear-tie-rod/
The post you quoted is from 2010…
130R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #10
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
The post you quoted is from 2010…
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote