Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 02-07-2010, 03:30 AM   #1
Dartht33bagger

Drives: 1991 Z28
Dual exhaust on third gen.

I own a 1991 Z28 camaro. I bought it about a month ago. The original owner put an exhaust system on it that looks true dual, but it's not. It's single from the motor, to a single cat, to a big muffler, that comes out as two 2 1/2 inch pipes so it looks true dual.

Now the question. I live in Oregon where you have to meet a pretty strict emissions standard for new tags every 2 years. The car barely passed last time, took 5 tries and tons of driving around to get it to pass. That was probably because the main vaccum hose was cracked, which has been fixed. So what I want to do is make the car true dual exhaust. I've heard that it is almost impossible to route a second pipe under a third gen. My grandpa also seems to think if we go full dual that the computer on the car will freak out and not know how to adjust to the difference in exhaust and we will never get the car through emissions.

So is it possible to do dual exhaust with dual cats and then somehow reprogram the computer so that it will run good and pass emissions?

My car is a 305 V8; Tune port injection; automatic.
Dartht33bagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
They are all like that, that fake dual system is the standard, its called a cat back system.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:52 AM   #3
Dartht33bagger

Drives: 1991 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
They are all like that, that fake dual system is the standard, its called a cat back system.
I assumed as much. The muffler isn't stock though, I know that.

How about true dual though?
Dartht33bagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:30 AM   #4
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartht33bagger View Post
I assumed as much. The muffler isn't stock though, I know that.

How about true dual though?
You already coverd the problems, it will never pass emissions if you must have it done. And its just a 305 [hey don't you own a V6? yes with a blower.] In reality your not gonnna gain much going that far into it.

Just buy a good performance cat back system, and get a high flow cat.

It will be 50 state legal and pass with no problems.

Now if your looking for room for duals, look down the sides of the car.
I got a CherryBomb glass pack straight shot bullet and it fits nice in that valley between the floor and sides, let alone just a 3in exhaust pipe. And both sides have room for that but I only have 1. [v6]

[Often sub frame connectors use that valley, but they make ones that don't too, which I like better.]

http://www.top-downsolutions.com/pro...products_id=90

Ignore the rusty door, its been replaced.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/v6...-all-over.html

----------------------------------------------
"In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate.
In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law.
To pursue... natural justice.
This is not vengeance.
Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response.
No, not vengeance.
Punishment."
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote