Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-15-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

I just want to hear what you guys think happened. There's been lots of plot twists in this story.

U.S. officials now speculating that this was deliberate by humans.

Timeline according to CNN:

- Takeoff: 12:41 a.m.
All tracking systems are working as the Boeing 777-200ER plane takes off from the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur, headed to Beijing, on Saturday, March 8, at 12:41 a.m.

- ACARS disabled (time unknown)
Shortly after takeoff, one of the plane's communication systems is turned off.

- Event: Transponder disabled 1:30 a.m.
A transponder is an electronic message sent out by the airplane: It sends out so-called "squawks" to radar systems about the plane's flight number, height, speed and heading.

- Event: Voice check-in (time unknown)
It's not yet clear whether the voice check-in happened before or after the transponder was turned off, but it's believed to have happened at about the same time, Quest said.
Someone in the plane's cockpit made a voice check-in with air traffic controllers as the airliner was apparently leaving Malaysian airspace and entering Vietnamese airspace.
"All right, good night" were the final words from the cockpit, said Zulazri Mohd Ahnuar, Malaysian civil aviation officer.

- Event: Military radar 2:40 a.m.
Though the Malaysian plane is not transmitting information -- by ACARS or transponder -- radars on the ground or elsewhere can still detect a plane in the air.
According to a Malaysian Air Force official, military radar tracked the plane as it passed over the small island of Pulau Perak, in the Strait of Malacca.
At this point, the plane was now hundreds of miles off course.

- Event: Satellite 'handshakes'8:11 a.m.
The Prime Minister revealed Saturday that a satellite tracked the plane at 8:11 a.m., more than seven hours after takeoff.
Najib didn't provide details on the satellite tracking, but it appears that orbiters high above the ocean detected the plane as the satellite or satellites attempted a series of "handshakes" -- or electronic connections -- with the plane below, Quest said.

Last edited by Overflow; 03-15-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
It's sickening to think about even. So many innocent lives lost. I really hope they find out what happens soon so at least the families affected can have some peace.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:15 PM   #3
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
It's sickening to think about even. So many innocent lives lost. I really hope they find out what happens soon so at least the families affected can have some peace.
To me, the scary thing is that they could be alive because the plane landed.. or they could be at the bottom of the ocean. I do hope they find something soon though just to give some answers to the families.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
I know, it's mind boggling that in this day and age a plane carrying that many people can just vanish without a trace. I would be shocked if it safely landed somewhere.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:21 PM   #5
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
with the things that were done to that plane as far as shutting down the identifications that it sends , 3 different systems supposedly, I think it Is looking more like the pilots. the last communication happened after the transponder was turned off.
'expert's keep saying it must have crashed. But why turn the plane around only to cruise into the indian ocean until they ran out of gas? why not just crash it to begin with? if it really was in the air for 7 hours then I'm guessing they were heading somewhere and there was a plan behind it.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:27 PM   #6
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
with the things that were done to that plane as far as shutting down the identifications that it sends , 3 different systems supposedly, I think it Is looking more like the pilots. the last communication happened after the transponder was turned off.
'expert's keep saying it must have crashed. But why turn the plane around only to cruise into the indian ocean until they ran out of gas? why not just crash it to begin with? if it really was in the air for 7 hours then I'm guessing they were heading somewhere and there was a plan behind it.
Maybe someone made a math error and thought they had more range than they really did.

A 777 is a pretty damn big plane so it'd be hard to miss a random one landing at even a small airport. Either it landed on an airstrip nobody knows about or it crashed into the ocean.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:29 PM   #7
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
if they went south they'd crash eventually, but if they kept going west or north they should have hit land.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:30 PM   #8
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Maybe someone made a math error and thought they had more range than they really did.

A 777 is a pretty damn big plane so it'd be hard to miss a random one landing at even a small airport. Either it landed on an airstrip nobody knows about or it crashed into the ocean.
I am subscribing to the theory that it landed somewhere.. if it did indeed crash somewhere (anywhere for that matter) you would be able to find small bits or pieces of the planes wreckage..

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/Magnuson TVS2300, ZL1 Fuelpump / ADM FPCM, NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, OEM 1LE Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers, Dropped on BMR Split Drop Springs
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:36 PM   #9
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13FastBlkSS View Post
I am subscribing to the theory that it landed somewhere.. if it did indeed crash somewhere (anywhere for that matter) you would be able to find small bits or pieces of the planes wreckage..
This is what keeps me on the theory that it didn't, lets say, "crash" into the ocean. Over such a sensitive part of the world, you know that there's tons of spy satellites over there, and you mean to tell me none of them are finding the wreckage?
Old 03-15-2014, 11:40 PM   #10
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/...014?source=abc

This site is using crowdsourcing to analyze the satellite imagery to see if someone can spot anything that might be of value.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:46 PM   #11
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I don't know. Seriously I would say Hollywood can't even make this stuff up.

But Stephen King did, The Langoliers.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:56 PM   #12
flyinglow57

Drives: rumble bee,2SS 6sp
if they landed someone would have made a call w a phone. everyone has a phone
Old 03-15-2014, 11:58 PM   #13
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinglow57 View Post
if they landed someone would have made a call w a phone. everyone has a phone
Depending where they landed (more like if) they may not have had service. Ever gone on a cruise to the Bahamas before? Even though it's so close to Florida, you still can't get service. This plane flew for another 7 hours after they lost contact, they could be in the middle of nowhere.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:01 AM   #14
flyinglow57

Drives: rumble bee,2SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Depending where they landed (more like if) they may not have had service. Ever gone on a cruise to the Bahamas before? Even though it's so close to Florida, you still can't get service. This plane flew for another 7 hours after they lost contact, they could be in the middle of nowhere.
somewhere at sometime id imagine a text could go out in the 6+ hours