Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-24-2018, 06:36 PM   #1
Starfall
1bad6

Drives: 2010 camaro
Questions about loudness

Mrt v1, manual v6

The question is: i want to mak it louder, i want to wait before i do headers for warranty to expire

I have heard there are 4 cats, and also resonators, one thing i am open to is doing the magnaflow x pipe, what can i do to make my car louder?

Is there a way to get rid of the 4 cats, and would that make it louder?
Old 01-24-2018, 07:01 PM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
Mrt v1, manual v6

The question is: i want to mak it louder, i want to wait before i do headers for warranty to expire

I have heard there are 4 cats, and also resonators, one thing i am open to is doing the magnaflow x pipe, what can i do to make my car louder?

To get rid of the cats you will need long tubes or shorties. The cats are the main contributor to how quiet these cars are stock.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7Ί overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160Ί thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:01 PM   #3
Starfall
1bad6

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
To get rid of the cats you will need long tubes or shorties. The cats are the main contributor to how quiet these cars are stock.

How does the headers get rid of the cats?
Old 01-24-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
they replace the cats with tubing... You can have a high flow cat or an off road connection behind that. How do you have a warranty if you have a 2010?
Old 01-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #5
Starfall
1bad6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
they replace the cats with tubing... You can have a high flow cat or an off road connection behind that. How do you have a warranty if you have a 2010?
Had a new 6 put in it, it came with a 2 yr warranty
Old 01-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #6
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
How does the headers get rid of the cats?
Ahh, didn't see you were V6. Not sure how those cats are mounted or the stock exhaust setup.

On the LS3/L99, the cats are connected to the stock exhaust manifold.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7Ί overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160Ί thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:56 PM   #7
Starfall
1bad6

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Ahh, didn't see you were V6. Not sure how those cats are mounted or the stock exhaust setup.

On the LS3/L99, the cats are connected to the stock exhaust manifold.
I havw no idea man that's what i'm trying to figure out
Old 01-24-2018, 10:09 PM   #8
Dylan1214

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS L99
Dude just search/do research, there are literally hundreds of threads regarding header swaps.
MODS: GPI MAX Package ported and milled heads+(229/250,111 LSA),Johnson 2110 Lifters,BTR .660 Springs,CHE Trunnions,C5R chain,DSX Flex Fuel kit,LSA Injectors,ZL1 Fuel Pump,MAMO Ported MSD Intake manifold,BOWhite ported Throttle body,25% UDP,CAI Intake,Intake Scoop,Kooks 1 7/8 headers,Borla attak catback,Elite catch can,BMR Motor mounts,CircleD 5C 4000-4200 Torque converter,ADM trans cooler,Jannetty Trans dipstick,DSS Aluminum Driveshaft,3.91 Gears,Eaton TrueTrac,JRE Billet caps,BMR Trailing arms,BMR Toe rods,BMR rear sway bar,Pegasus Solid sub frame bushings,DSS 1,000HP Axles
Dylan1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:21 PM   #9
Starfall
1bad6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1214 View Post
Dude just search/do research, there are literally hundreds of threads regarding header swaps.
Can't find it
Old 01-24-2018, 11:04 PM   #10
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Real sound improvement will only come from changing out the headers, assuming shorties are your only option if you're waiting for the warranty. Research in the v6 engine, exhaust, and bolt-on's thread for how your header set up comes on the car. Then either get rid of the cats or get high flow ones. Still want it louder? Ditch the axleback and get a full 3in catback. Most will offer small performance gains and delete the factory resonator as well as replace the h pipe with some sort of x pipe.

Assuming you're talking about the Magnaflow resonated x pipe, do not do this. It will make your car quieter. Without adding a catback, messing with the stock h pipe is pointless.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:25 PM   #11
Starfall
1bad6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
Real sound improvement will only come from changing out the headers, assuming shorties are your only option if you're waiting for the warranty. Research in the v6 engine, exhaust, and bolt-on's thread for how your header set up comes on the car. Then either get rid of the cats or get high flow ones. Still want it louder? Ditch the axleback and get a full 3in catback. Most will offer small performance gains and delete the factory resonator as well as replace the h pipe with some sort of x pipe.

Assuming you're talking about the Magnaflow resonated x pipe, do not do this. It will make your car quieter. Without adding a catback, messing with the stock h pipe is pointless.

I was going to save the x pipe for the headers, i have bbk long tube headers, i'm just extremely confused about the whole cats thing, the cats that have two on both sides, the headers come with these tiny little pipe things, how does that get rid of the cats? That's what i'm not understanding
Old 01-25-2018, 03:45 AM   #12
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
I was going to save the x pipe for the headers, i have bbk long tube headers, i'm just extremely confused about the whole cats thing, the cats that have two on both sides, the headers come with these tiny little pipe things, how does that get rid of the cats? That's what i'm not understanding
I believe there are 4 cats total, 2 per side, when the car is stock. Longtubes are the same length as a factory manifold plus the first cat. So you're left with the length of the second cat before you reach where the catback begins. The tiny pipes you received with your longtubes are most likely hollow, indicating they are catless midpipes. If they were high flow, they would have cells. Either way, the length of the cats after longtubes is drastically shorter/smaller due to how much longer the longtubes are compared to a stock manifold/shorty, so there is less room to work with before the start of the catback. Hopefully that makes sense, it's kind of hard to explain lol I'm going to include a picture for reference, comparing a stock manifold and its cats to a longtube with its cat(less) pipes.
Attached Images

*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:40 AM   #13
yzinger

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - IOM - LS3
Thats a great find Gun.
yzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:01 PM   #14
Cenafan85

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Mrt v1, manual v6

You already posted asking to make it louder http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514740

And going louder on a V6 isn't always better. Exhausts sound good to a certain point, then they become obnoxious and horrible sounding.