Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 11:35 PM   #99
kcox2010
synergy2011

Drives: 2011 synergy green 1ss/rs
Send a message via AIM to kcox2010
I am tryong these method and it seem it diffulct to remove the toogle when taking it ofd thanks
Old 05-04-2014, 07:13 PM   #100
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I just did this but didnt see the idea here, small world.Had to as I got at fix it ticket.
Ccox it is easy to remove with the toggles. Just start unscrewing them to get rid of tention, use a screw driver to make the toggles paralell with the grill if needed and pull outward, had no prblems.
Funny thing is later When I went out to the car the whole thing was missing
Old 05-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #101
Powhusku

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Here's a custom one I had made to fit my ZL1 front fascia. Installed two bolts under the lower splitter, where the mount is held on by two wing nuts. The wing nuts are so the plate and mount can be easily removed for shows or racing or what have you. The plate attaches using 3 of its mounting holes. This prevents it from bending in the wind. The plate has been attached in excess of 100 mph so it's quite sturdy. And the mount weighs nearly the same as the license plate itself.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #102
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
Thanks very much. After getting pulled over for lacking a front plate, even with just a warning, I thought I should put one on. The motorized 'show n go' option was tempting, but I wasn't motivated enough to install that and worry about how it would hold up. I liked your solution as it doesn't stick that frame to the bumper with non-removable rivets. I got the next size larger in toggles and bolts (1/4 x 3") and the bolt heads were big enough that washers weren't needed. The toggle end needs to be forced through the grille slot a bit, but even with your suggested cushioning tape, it did go through. It feels very sturdy. Thank you for a great simple solution that still allows for exploring other options down the road.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #103
IHB2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
2014 factory plate frame doesn't require drilling anywhere on the bumper except 2 holes at the top of the black air intake, but IMO still ruins the line of the front end b/c it sticks out beyond the bumper.

the air intake has 2 guide indents spaced for license plate top holes. just drilled those to hold the 2 screws I didn't need for the back plate and used black cable ties for the bottom holes.

this accomplished my main goal, which was to keep the plate inside the lines of the front end.

not the most elegant mod, but the 2 small holes are invisible when the plate is removed and replacing the cable ties is cheap.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2015, 05:42 PM   #104
BOOMER CAMARO

Drives: 2012 2SS 6 speed CRMT
Very great idea! Just finished using your idea on my 2012 SS.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:03 PM   #105
AndyMac

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS
IHB2, did you just use self-tapping screws and go right in? Or did you have to do anything to prep the holes to hold the screws?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2015, 11:39 AM   #106
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
doing this right now. How tight do you tighten up the toggles?? that grill back there is just plastic and i worry about cracking it by really tightening them down too much. but then i worry about them loosening up over time.

Last edited by Denis; 09-20-2015 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:40 AM   #107
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Great modification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHB2 View Post
2014 factory plate frame doesn't require drilling anywhere on the bumper except 2 holes at the top of the black air intake, but IMO still ruins the line of the front end b/c it sticks out beyond the bumper.

the air intake has 2 guide indents spaced for license plate top holes. just drilled those to hold the 2 screws I didn't need for the back plate and used black cable ties for the bottom holes.

this accomplished my main goal, which was to keep the plate inside the lines of the front end.

not the most elegant mod, but the 2 small holes are invisible when the plate is removed and replacing the cable ties is cheap.
Would it be an issue if the bottom was left without the cable ties?
Old 04-24-2016, 10:27 AM   #108
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
It's your car but you spent good money for it too. But it is your car. Don't drill holes in the grill and use plastic ties. Just look up jacfab. for the best plate holder. Powder coated and mounts to the to screw holes already under neath the splitter.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #109
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Question Same question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHB2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
IHB2, did you just use self-tapping screws and go right in? Or did you have to do anything to prep the holes to hold the screws?

Thanks!
There doesn't seem to be enough space to get behind the lower grille to install nuts on the screws. Am I mistaken or was there a different type of screw used?

Closed Thread