Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-12-2015, 09:52 PM   #1
LSXDoc

Drives: 2015 1SS/RS/1LE
SS vs 1LE Rear End Feel/Noise

Ok, so I have about 200 miles on the car so far. When I am on the highway, it is almost like I am hearing rear end whine, but only on the highway. My question is, is this normal for the 1LE rear end/3.91s? Am I just so used to the stock SS rear end that I am making a big deal out of nothing? The car is smooth, no vibration with my perceived noise. Just making sure I am not
Stainless Power LTs w/ CATs
Stainless Works ZL1 Res. Delete 3" Retro Catback
DST Ported ZL1 TB
619RWHP / 539LB-FT
LSXDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Time to change the rear differential fluid
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:49 PM   #3
LSXDoc

So soon? Car only has 200 miles. What fluid would you guys recommend?
DST Ported ZL1 TB
619RWHP / 539LB-FT
Old 07-12-2015, 11:21 PM   #4
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
It is your tires. They are quite noisy. Rear end should not be making any noise and certainly does not need a fluid change. I hear the same whine...bugged me at first thinking it was gears or trans. Then figured out it is tire noise.
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:37 PM   #5
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall421 View Post
It is your tires. They are quite noisy. Rear end should not be making any noise and certainly does not need a fluid change. I hear the same whine...bugged me at first thinking it was gears or trans. Then figured out it is tire noise.
I have to disagree with that one
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299450 http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248463 http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233565
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309102

You can search the forums with people having similar problems

Maybe im wrong who knows
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:08 AM   #6
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I had no whine and changed fluid at about 28K. It was between the hard use and normal use recommendation in the owners manual. If you have rear end noise, and only have 200 miles on the car, I would take in in because it is not normal. I have also not found these tires to be all that loud. Tires make different sounds on different road surfaces, so if this is a consistent whine, I would get it checked out.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #7
Kendall421

The Rear end is not going to make a whining noise unless the car is moving...same with the tires. Makes it a bit harder to discern where the noise is coming from. I had rear end gears go out on me when I raced dirt late model and let me tell ya, when they whine...it is LOUD! Could here it over a 765HP open header alky motor! LOL if you have a slight whine, I bet it is tires. But...as others have said, take it in and get it checked out. Maybe not all sets of these tires whine. I can tell you that mine do. More on some roads than others. More so on newer smoother pavement for sure. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:25 PM   #8
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
I had what sounded to me (and felt like) transmission noise and/or gear whine and the car was hard to shift. I took it into the dealer to get it checked at around 250 miles or so (I'll check later for actual mileage) and they had the car for 1 week. They replaced the rear bearings and seals due to (what they said was) excessive play and they put in new full synthetic gear fluid (the same type used in the ZR1 corvette.) All under warranty. Ever since then, the drivetrain is still a bit noisy but not near as bad.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:23 PM   #9
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXDoc View Post
Ok, so I have about 200 miles on the car so far. When I am on the highway, it is almost like I am hearing rear end whine, but only on the highway. My question is, is this normal for the 1LE rear end/3.91s? Am I just so used to the stock SS rear end that I am making a big deal out of nothing? The car is smooth, no vibration with my perceived noise. Just making sure I am not
Should sound the same as your stock SS.

I too don't find the 1LE's G2 tires that loud as gajagfan mentioned already.

At 200 miles, time for immediate warranty action, before you elect to experiment with other diff fluids.

Do yo
Fwiw, my previous BMW exhibited slight rear whine. This car does not, so I know how to discern. Hopefully you do as well.

The fact your previous SS did not raise the red flag in your head is reason enough to act ASAP IMHO.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:29 PM   #10
Kendall421

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
I had what sounded to me (and felt like) transmission noise and/or gear whine and the car was hard to shift. I took it into the dealer to get it checked at around 250 miles or so (I'll check later for actual mileage) and they had the car for 1 week. They replaced the rear bearings and seals due to (what they said was) excessive play and they put in new full synthetic gear fluid (the same type used in the ZR1 corvette.) All under warranty. Ever since then, the drivetrain is still a bit noisy but not near as bad.
This really confuses me. You state it had a whine and was hard to shift. Then that they replaced rear bearings and seals and it shifted better? Huh? The rear end has nothing at all to do with shifting. That is 100% in the transmission.

GM and Tremic engineers are smart guys. The fluid specified for the rear end and trans in these cars is tested and proven. However, there is definitely a chance the rear end gears can be set slightly wrong given lash is important and high volume production of said gears...you could have some with bad lash settings from the factory.

The fact that all the mechanics of these cars, in mass production, can be that well tuned and tight. It is truly a work of art in reality.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:57 PM   #11
LSXDoc

Thanks for all the input guys. I spoke to the dealer and now just got to set up a time to take it in. I just wanted to know from you guys here if something like this was normal for a 1LE. Now that I know that it's not, she's going in.
DST Ported ZL1 TB
619RWHP / 539LB-FT
Old 07-15-2015, 09:43 AM   #12
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall421 View Post
This really confuses me. You state it had a whine and was hard to shift. Then that they replaced rear bearings and seals and it shifted better? Huh? The rear end has nothing at all to do with shifting. That is 100% in the transmission.

GM and Tremic engineers are smart guys. The fluid specified for the rear end and trans in these cars is tested and proven. However, there is definitely a chance the rear end gears can be set slightly wrong given lash is important and high volume production of said gears...you could have some with bad lash settings from the factory.

The fact that all the mechanics of these cars, in mass production, can be that well tuned and tight. It is truly a work of art in reality.
They determined there was excessive play and that the noise was from the rear. They never fixed the shifting issues, I still have those. I have 2nd gear grind and sometimes cannot shift into 1st or R with the car stopped.