Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
avo25

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Help! Rear end noise problem.

So ive been reading a lot of posts about this rear end noise that people have been having problems with on sharp turns and reversing. Ive been having this issue for a few weeks now and im only at 2000 miles :( Ive gone to two different dealers and neither would even look at the vehicle because GM said they havent heard of any other cases involving this issue yet so im forced to wait til it gets worse..

So I was wondering if anyone has had luck with getting this fixed...I live in Chicago, So I was also wondering if anyone in the area has gone to a dealer and had it fixed, So I could possibly go there instead. At this point im starting to get kind of aggravated so hopefully someone can give me some feedback and help a girl out over here haha
avo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by avo25 View Post
So ive been reading a lot of posts about this rear end noise that people have been having problems with on sharp turns and reversing. Ive been having this issue for a few weeks now and im only at 2000 miles :( Ive gone to two different dealers and neither would even look at the vehicle because GM said they havent heard of any other cases involving this issue yet so im forced to wait til it gets worse..

So I was wondering if anyone has had luck with getting this fixed...I live in Chicago, So I was also wondering if anyone in the area has gone to a dealer and had it fixed, So I could possibly go there instead. At this point im starting to get kind of aggravated so hopefully someone can give me some feedback and help a girl out over here haha

Check this thread out, I am waiting for a call from my dealer but they replaced the ring and pinion. I was having the same issue.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260659
Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
What, they refused to even look at it??? That is extremely poor service, I have an appointment next week to have mine looked at as I am having noise from differential since it has gotten cooler outside. As you said, in reverse and when turning when car is cold. Dealership told me it is likely needs a little more slip additive but I am going to ask they swap out the fluid as I have driven it pretty hard at the track many times now.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
it needs a fluid change. My fluid looked like total crap at 1K. More than likely it will fix your noise.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
What, they refused to even look at it??? That is extremely poor service, I have an appointment next week to have mine looked at as I am having noise from differential since it has gotten cooler outside. As you said, in reverse and when turning when car is cold. Dealership told me it is likely needs a little more slip additive but I am going to ask they swap out the fluid as I have driven it pretty hard at the track many times now.
you Have to change it once you drive it on the track 24h. Some even say after 1 track day but I think it's more like 24h of driving hard.
It was the oil in my case. check the other thread on this.
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
avo25

Thank you for the link!

And yes I couldnt believe that they wouldnt even put my car on a lift to check it out. They drove and agreed that they heard it but once they called GM they sent me on my way and told me to come back when its worse. I just want someone to at least look at it...I work at a custom car shop but id rather has this issue resolved through my warranty of course. It is starting to get cold over here so Im hoping once its warm again the sound will go away somehow because it doesnt look like the dealer will be helping me any time soon :(
avo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Thank you for the link!

And yes I couldnt believe that they wouldnt even put my car on a lift to check it out. They drove and agreed that they heard it but once they called GM they sent me on my way and told me to come back when its worse. I just want someone to at least look at it...I work at a custom car shop but id rather has this issue resolved through my warranty of course. It is starting to get cold over here so Im hoping once its warm again the sound will go away somehow because it doesnt look like the dealer will be helping me any time soon :(
email GM customer service. there's a guy Brandon on the forum that's pretty responsive. The dealer is not only and Shole but an idiot as this is warranty work that they get paid for...needs oil change
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
email GM customer service. there's a guy Brandon on the forum that's pretty responsive. The dealer is not only and Shole but an idiot as this is warranty work that they get paid for...needs oil change

I am beginning to wonder if there is more of a problem, I have seen a lot of posts that said the fluid change or slip additive worked. I am wondering now if it isn't just covering up the problem temporarily. I should be picking up my car soon and will report back after I look at the ring and pinion.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
hognutz

if it is in turns it is most likely the diff.

I would change the fluid out over adding the additive (my .02) the TSB they did on my Z06 was for fluid change.

what happens is sometimes the clutches don't slip and either make noise or physically drag the tire like a spool.

Now once the cover is off you can easily verify backlash and gear wear pattern though of the ring and pinion. Backlash is a simple measurement and is either in or out. wear pattern takes a bit of getting used to to read. The nice thing about inspecting the gears at this point is you would just eliminate that variable.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
if it is in turns it is most likely the diff.

I would change the fluid out over adding the additive (my .02) the TSB they did on my Z06 was for fluid change.

what happens is sometimes the clutches don't slip and either make noise or physically drag the tire like a spool.

Now once the cover is off you can easily verify backlash and gear wear pattern though of the ring and pinion. Backlash is a simple measurement and is either in or out. wear pattern takes a bit of getting used to to read. The nice thing about inspecting the gears at this point is you would just eliminate that variable.
It was the backlash, they replaced the ring and pinion and bearings and she is as quiet as can be.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:

If you would like, I can look into this a little bit further by setting up a case with GM customer service and contacting the dealership you have been working with. Please provide me with your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and involved dealership name in a PM.

I look forward to your reply.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service