Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
Sonoma

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, M6
Premature Tire Wear???

I have less than 15K on my P-Zeros and have just about 1/16" left before the warning indicator so I’m guessing these tires won't last much beyond 15K. I've been relatively easy going on these tires (never burned out or autocrossed them) since this is my DD. About the only thing I do which prematurely wears the tires is the occasional spirited romp here and there. Other than that 95% of my drive is commute traffic (easy driving).

Only reason I'm asking is because I considered myself to be in the same category of folks who have reported upwards of 30K and was expecting maybe I’d get mid to high 20s. So that makes me..sigh…suspect my dealership (the suspicion part is human nature, but doesn’t mean I like it) and I’m hoping my tire wear is normal so I can rest a bit easier and regain faith in them. But with only 15 – 16K, it seems to me there would have to be a bit more aggressive driving than I do…or a couple hard burnouts—the latter of which I suspect of my dealer.

So, is 16K what we can expect on our P-Zeros with light to moderate, spirited driving?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
MoCamaro20

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS L99
I did about 5 good looking burnouts overall. And I manAged to get 26,000 miles out of them. Now I have gforce tires on there. How many miles did you have on it when bought
MoCamaro20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
nshuff

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
i wouldn't expect a dealer could be responsible for taking half of your tire life off your tires. i would expect 20k miles out of those tires max.
nshuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
MoCamaro20

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by nshuff View Post
i wouldn't expect a dealer could be responsible for taking half of your tire life off your tires. i would expect 20k miles out of those tires max.
A good amount of people average well over 20,000 on those shit tires. So yeah something isn't right there
MoCamaro20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
Synergy_synner

Drives: Synergy Camaro
I got a 2010 with the original tires and I am just shy of 40,000. And I still got some life left in them.

Synergy_synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Is it your rear or front tires that are worn, or both? Also, is the tire wear even across the tread, or is the wear uneven? A bad alignment will wear out tires quicker than you would think, but it will show up as uneven wear.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
All Star
I'm an Engineer

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Send a message via AIM to All Star
From what I've read...the amount of miles you get out of the Pirelli's is akin to a crapshoot.

All Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
blgl1800

Drives: 11 SS/RS Vert/E-ForceSupercharger
10K and mine were looking rough. Some of that was driving in 30 degree temps, dry pavement and way to easy wheel spin. Went with Nitto's on the replacement, higher mileage (harder rubber) = less grip.
blgl1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
Sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCamaro20 View Post
I did about 5 good looking burnouts overall. And I manAged to get 26,000 miles out of them. Now I have gforce tires on there. How many miles did you have on it when bought
Ha, lucky you! I'll be lucky to get 16K with none burnouts.

I was concerned about the times I left my car with the dealer all day on three separate occasions. I’d hope the original dealer (different dealership) didn’t do burnouts with a brand new car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshuff View Post
I’m guessing there’s about 8 – 10K difference between what I was expecting and what I’m getting (for a car that’s been babied for roughly 95% of its life). I’m not sure how much a few burnouts would scrub, but I’m guessing it can be fairly significant depending on severity.

Just to be clear, my concern is entirely on building trust with my dealer. I’ve received subpar service from this dealer on a couple occasions and now rear tires that seem to me to have premature wear beyond what I've contributed. BTW, I’ve left my car with the dealer for an entire day on three separate occasions so the opportunity was there. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but given this is a muscle car, the shoddy service, and, finally, the stories I’ve heard about dealers recently, it’s been difficult to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
Is it your rear or front tires that are worn, or both? Also, is the tire wear even across the tread, or is the wear uneven? A bad alignment will wear out tires quicker than you would think, but it will show up as uneven wear.

The front tires have plenty of life left (almost look new) and have even wear. The rears have less than 1/16“ (to the warning indicator) and the wear between the two are the same.

To everyone who's responded, thank you for your input. From what I've gathered here, there's enough reason to be on guard, though not enough info to be certain of anything.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Those 21" pzeros are expensive too.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
15+ smokey 100' long burn outs,
6 water box burnouts and 1/4 mile passes at the drag strip,
driving in 30 degree temps with snow,
1 autocross,
1 high performance driving event
2,500+ miles of spirited mountain driving,
one screwed up alignment and another very agressive alignment

These P Zeros suck, I only got 15,000 miles out of them.
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #12
CAMARU

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/CGM/6M/Black stripes

Getting ready to get new tires this weekend at 42,000 mi. I might have gone longer but my alignment is out and showing threads on the outer left front.
CAMARU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 AM   #13
Sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Those 21" pzeros are expensive too.
Yep, cutting into my mod budget just when I was getting started.

BTW, nice wheels...nice ride!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:10 AM   #14
Sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post
15+ smokey 100' long burn outs,
6 water box burnouts and 1/4 mile passes at the drag strip,
driving in 30 degree temps with snow,
1 autocross,
1 high performance driving event
2,500+ miles of spirited mountain driving,
one screwed up alignment and another very agressive alignment

These P Zeros suck, I only got 15,000 miles out of them.
Holy crap!!! You're scaring me. Now I'm envisioning someone was only a couple 100', smokey burnouts short of all your wonderful escapades in my car.

Tags
p-zeros, premature tire wear