Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #57
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
What do you use in those little 6 cylinders......Singer Sewing Machine Oil???

Just livin' life
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #58
6polarbear9

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
I change my oil 3-4k like a religion w mobile 1. I had a 2000 silverado I put all of 285k miles on and she only was a 1/2 quart low with every change. 11k is way too long. Max should be 5-6k if u plan to keep her for a while
6polarbear9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #59
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
What do you use in those little 6 cylinders......Singer Sewing Machine Oil???
Even if I did it would probably last longer than that Joe Gibbs oil...

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 11-17-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #60
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
GM a year or two again changed the OLM calibration for the 3.6 to be more conservative (change more often). Having said that the oil reports I have seen support the OLM generally speaking. I do think there is a difference with commerical use, in that for the same amount of miles, the engines sit less and cold start fewer times.

This is interesting: http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=6267.20

You guys can go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and research. Lots of opinions there as on any internet site, but the raw data is there too.

Really the biggest issue with oil is the amount of dirt in it. Nothing else seems to make that much difference. So keep your intakes sealed and change more often in dusty conditions.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #61
mailclerk

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
The sticker they put on your windshield with next recommended oil change says I should have done it today or at 10800 miles. Currently I'm at 11500 and DIC says I have 42% oil life left. This would be my 3rd oil change, past 2 times I had car serviced at dealership with the semi-synthetic. Should I change oil now or wait??
Jenner,

Your pretty close to what my DIC would tell me on when to do my OCI's. According to mine my OLM would have me change oil every 6K and that's OK with me.

In your case I'd wait til you closer to the 12K and then have the dealership start using a good synthetic instead of a blend. That way for sure you can go by what your DIC tells you.

Based on your figures you must drive allot of freeway driving cuz with that kind of miles driven and at only 42% left on your DIC I'd say your a little over due.

In the future you have to decide wether to go by your OLM says or do your services based on miles. Personally I'd go by my OLM tells me strictly but would never allow my oil to go that distance like the quote you gave.
Again mine tells me to change every 6K based on my driving habits.

Mail Clerk
mailclerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #62
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailclerk View Post
Jenner,

Your pretty close to what my DIC would tell me on when to do my OCI's. According to mine my OLM would have me change oil every 6K and that's OK with me.

In your case I'd wait til you closer to the 12K and then have the dealership start using a good synthetic instead of a blend. That way for sure you can go by what your DIC tells you.

Based on your figures you must drive allot of freeway driving cuz with that kind of miles driven and at only 42% left on your DIC I'd say your a little over due.

In the future you have to decide wether to go by your OLM says or do your services based on miles. Personally I'd go by my OLM tells me strictly but would never allow my oil to go that distance like the quote you gave.
Again mine tells me to change every 6K based on my driving habits.

Mail Clerk
I'm not sure but I don't think he is saying it's been over 11,500 miles since his oil change but that is the odometer reading. The dealer oil change sticker said 10,800 miles change the oil (usually they add 3,000 miles to whatever the odo reading is at the time they changed it), if he is at 11,500 now it just means he probably has 4,700 miles since his last oil change.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #63
Jenner

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I'm not sure but I don't think he is saying it's been over 11,500 miles since his oil change but that is the odometer reading. The dealer oil change sticker said 10,800 miles change the oil (usually they add 3,000 miles to whatever the odo reading is at the time they changed it), if he is at 11,500 now it just means he probably has 4,700 miles since his last oil change.
Yes, exactly.
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #64
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
GM a year or two again changed the OLM calibration for the 3.6 to be more conservative (change more often). Having said that the oil reports I have seen support the OLM generally speaking. I do think there is a difference with commerical use, in that for the same amount of miles, the engines sit less and cold start fewer times.

This is interesting: http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=6267.20

You guys can go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and research. Lots of opinions there as on any internet site, but the raw data is there too.

Really the biggest issue with oil is the amount of dirt in it. Nothing else seems to make that much difference. So keep your intakes sealed and change more often in dusty conditions.
Damn, they got an Equinox forum?

I did see a brand new one today and think it is a "refresh" as it looked better than I remember.

Not sure if the GMC Acadia is the sibling, but that one is nice too.

Wait, this is a Camaro forum, sorry for hijack.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:40 AM   #65
MightymouseSS

Drives: 2011 LS3
I change mine at 40/45% no more no less. I ve got a silverado with over 100k of towing and off roading and never had a issue. Ill stick to my routine I peronally feel the DIC is stretching oil a lil to much. Id rather spend a few extra $$$ on oil every year and keep my engines running strong and smooth.
SLP loudmouth 2
Nightfury Cam
Mike Norris CC
Tuned by Southwest Speed
MightymouseSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:31 AM   #66
joe h

Drives: victory red 2010 camaro 2ss/rs
Olm = bare minimum, gm requires a yearly oil change regardless of the olm, gm doesn't care what happens after 100,000 and five years, and if they feel any damage is due to a lack of lubrication, you better have documentation and receipts available or they can wash their hands of the whole mess.
joe h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #67
VQ35DE

Drives: 2013 / 2SS / RS / L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I think you meant to say "3,700 miles since his last oil change". At least the math comes out to that.
VQ35DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #68
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQ35DE View Post
I think you meant to say "3,700 miles since his last oil change". At least the math comes out to that.
Oops, guess that's what I get for doing it in my head..either that or fat fingered my IPhone...