Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
MaRoFreK

Drives: IOM 1SS w/factory Hurst
Headers Void Warranty?

OK, I've seen quite a few people on this forum that have LT headers on their Camaro. My question is did that void you're warranty? I was told by a Dealership today if you get LT headers its gonna void the warranty. I just wondering what other dealerships have said.

He is also saying I will need a tune for the Headers/Cat back.

Stainless works Catback with Flowmaster Single Chamber Mufflers, Vararam, Factory Hurst, SLP SS emblems, SLP Skip Shift
MaRoFreK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
Technically yes it does void your warranty. However, my dealership does not even have the software to check if my tune is not factory. In fact I just had my car in for the 25,000 mile service and they commented on how nice and clean the headers and exhaust look under the car. It is actually the custom tune that kills the warranty.
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCowboy View Post
Technically yes it does void your warranty. However, my dealership does not even have the software to check if my tune is not factory. In fact I just had my car in for the 25,000 mile service and they commented on how nice and clean the headers and exhaust look under the car. It is actually the custom tune that kills the warranty.

Yup. Shorty headers do not require a tune. So if you're worried about warranty you could go down that route.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
MaRoFreK

I'm not gonna get a Tune. But this guy told me that Any headers will void the warranty. I just find that hard to believe because there are alot of people with headers, and if this is true void warrantys also.

Stainless works Catback with Flowmaster Single Chamber Mufflers, Vararam, Factory Hurst, SLP SS emblems, SLP Skip Shift
Old 01-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
sfgiantsfan9

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS and 2001 Ford F250
No headers alone will not void the warranty. This is a common misconception. Say your radio went out or your power steering pump etc etc. They cannot refuse to fix it just because you have headers. The Magnuson-Moss warranty act proves this. Now if you were to tune (which I'd recommend) then I think they can void your warranty. But even then if it was something like a radio or seat or something like that I don't think they could refuse to fix it under warranty.
sfgiantsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
If you are worried about the warranty do not mod your engine or your suspension. Stick to cosmetic mods.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
Oh no! Here we go again!!!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by csjcsj View Post
This answer should be in the Camaro owners manual.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
MaRoFreK

Quote:
Originally Posted by csjcsj View Post
Yes, I know lol I just needed a quick answer before I made a decision ordering a car I was gonna regret. The dealership told me that if they put headers on my car it would Void the warranty and they could do no repairs to my Engine. And with Their tune they put in would Void my warranty. So my question has been answered. But on the Bright side I ordered my SS so im Happy!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
I have LT's , no tune. Broke tranny outputshaft. No issues. However they did check for factory tune, prior to the warranty fix.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #11
MatchbookSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryman96 View Post
I have LT's , no tune. Broke tranny outputshaft. No issues. However they did check for factory tune, prior to the warranty fix.

Are you throwing a CEL? My SS is stock, but every other car I've had that had LT or some sort of off-road application header/headers threw CELs due to catalytic converters not being there.

If so, would running defoulers for the o2 sensors eliminate the CEL?
MatchbookSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
JasonK

Drives: 2010 Camaro
It will only VOID your exhaust manifolds warranty.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #13
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchbookSS View Post
Are you throwing a CEL? My SS is stock, but every other car I've had that had LT or some sort of off-road application header/headers threw CELs due to catalytic converters not being there.

If so, would running defoulers for the o2 sensors eliminate the CEL?
Yes it does. Although I have a Ted tune, I have yet to put it in. I use my SCT tuner to clear it or just ignore it.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #14
MaRoFreK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonK View Post
It will only VOID your exhaust manifolds warranty.
Well I have the Emails from this dealership saying that with Headers if something goes wrong with the Engine it wont be fixed cause the headers Void the warranty.