Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
cam fan

Drives: fast
MRTv1 axle back <or> Cherry Bomb v8 cat back

Need help deciding between MRT V1 axle back or a Cherry Bomb V8 system (it fits the v6 camaros)

This is the conversation discovering that the v8 system works well on the v6
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81962

- Both are equally priced (MRT: $429; Cherry Bomb: $400)
- axel vs cat back --> apples/oranges?

People that have the MRTv1 swear by it & that gives me comfort

The chance to have an true performance exhaust though (i.e. the full cat back) is enticing

The link above showed that of the ppl that did the Cherry Bomb application - 1 or 2 heard some rasp and complained it was too loud YET the rest raved (blah blah ferrari blah v12 sound blah)

best stock to MRTv1 I found:

stock to Cherry bomb v8 on v6:

That's the other thing - so few people have done this mod (I only counter about 4). This is another vid from one of the first to try it out and love it:
Old 12-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
That cherry bomb exhaust actually sounds pretty good. But I've decided myself on the ARK N-II with BBK LTs w/HFCs.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Go MRT. You won't be dissapointed.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
Taintedveins
Shark attack!

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I am in this exact same situation.... I have been thinking about the cat-back for ages, just don't know which to pick.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
i had cherry bomb, now i have pypes.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #6
cam fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
i had cherry bomb, now i have pypes.
I was wondering how come you didn't re-use your old system

....why Pypes now? Took a loss on the cherry bomb?
Old 12-03-2011, 02:19 AM   #7
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
That cherry bomb exhaust actually sounds pretty good. But I've decided myself on the ARK N-II with BBK LTs w/HFCs.
You sir are filled with knowledge and enlightnement. You will love the ARK's.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:37 AM   #8
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taintedveins View Post
I am in this exact same situation.... I have been thinking about the cat-back for ages, just don't know which to pick.

See if ARK offers a Christmas sale and then do yourself a favor and buy either one of their cat backs. N-2=loud, DT-S=not quite as loud and no drone even with LT's...both are simply stunning in build quality and sound. Ppl are flipping out over the burnt blue tips.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:47 AM   #9
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
cherry bomb

I currently have the V8 Cherry Bomb Catback in my V6. honestly, I love it. it is loud. i was in the same situation as far as for the exhaust system, trying to decide if i should get MRT or cherry bomb. listened to a million videos of MRT and a few of cherry bomb. MRT sounds good, really good. but to me, just me, MRT makes the V6 sounds like an import. nothing wrong with that but personally i didnt want that sound. I wanted something different. so I had a second opinion on both of the systems. and my friend and I concluded that cherry bomb sounds more like a muscle car. now keep in mind, this is not a V8 so it will never be as good but having said that, I know that no one in the V6 community is looking to make their car sound like a V8.

so let me tell you a little about cherry bomb. cold start is amazing. it sounds very close to what a V8 engine sounds. its a nice rumble. after that it settles down a bit and you still can hear a little bit of a rumble too. i dont drive my car much on the highway or freeway so most of my driving is around 45-50. at this speed in 3rd or 4th gear it sounds great. loud and aggressive. however once you get your RPM to 2500 to 3400, it is loud. the drone is badd. so driving on the freeway at 65MPH in 5th gear is really loud. the in cabin drone is pretty bad. it makes the car shake quite a bit. however if you have some music going on, then you will not hear anything.. anyways, I love the system. i wanted loud and i knew that that was gonna come with a price. that is drone.

now what do you want? do you drive your car a lot for long distances?? it depends on ur wants? MRT will probably be more pleasant if you drive for long period of time since the drone is less from what I have heard.
Wuiquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #10
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
oh yeah i forgot to tell you. the cherry bomb is aluminized steel which if you drive your car during the snow time, you gonna need to wash it all the time or else the salt will rust it. MRT is stainless steel so you should be good. if you are really interested in listening to the catback from cherry bomb, you could come down to Dover,DE where i live. idk if thats too far for you too drive. let me know if you need anymore advice.
Wuiquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #11
melvinakshay
Vrooom Vrooom

Drives: Camaro 2011 black LS
MRT V2. You wont regret it. I think the V1 is a bit too loud.
melvinakshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
Jaime068
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS RJT
MRT v1.0
Old 12-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
cam fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
oh yeah i forgot to tell you. the cherry bomb is aluminized steel which if you drive your car during the snow time, you gonna need to wash it all the time or else the salt will rust it. MRT is stainless steel so you should be good. if you are really interested in listening to the catback from cherry bomb, you could come down to Dover,DE where i live. idk if thats too far for you too drive. let me know if you need anymore advice.
Wow - thanks pal...that is a comprehensive and well thought out review. I PM'ed you some thoughts

I drive seldomly during the week as I walk to work. On the weekends though I do a lot of highway driving - oftentimes 60+ miles one way at speeds in the 55-80 mph range. Upon reaching my destination I am doing a ton of city driving (several 15-20 minute jaunts around NYC ~15-40mph range).

I am fearful of the 2 things Wuiquen mentioneded about the Cherry Bomb set up: the rusting (it's my "daily driver") & the drone. In the same respect, for MRTv1, I am fearful of the primary concern for all v6 camaro owner: the semi-rice sound. I agree the MRT rev does not match the Cherry Bomb muscle, but it seems like I may avoid potential headaches i.e. rust-proof-painting the CB's or the highway noise.

In this regard I am leaning towards the MRT because I guess it would be a plug in and forget set-up. I am still on the fence. I am relatively young and don't mind a loud exhaust but i am relatively young and do mind how I spend hundreds of dollars (lol!)

Last edited by cam fan; 12-03-2011 at 02:58 PM.
cam fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #14
cam fan

Wuiquen raises a good point via PM - Would the Cherry Bomb axle back ($300) reduce/eliminate the drone?

Potentially the drone comes from switching from stock H-pipe to X-pipe.

Tags
cherry bomb v8 on v6, mrt, ver1