Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-14-2011, 03:16 AM   #1
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Adams MF towels question...

I friggin LOVE the Adams double soft MF towels... Problem is after doing the two bucket wash, applying the wax with the PC, and wiping it off... I always get more grime on the towel from God knows where...

I wash the towels and the grime is gone...but the towels are discolored and you can still see where the grime was.... normal??

My car is a DD so I will never have Junkman perfect paint... I have no swirls in the paint, just the light occasional microscopic scratch which i can never seem to get around..

Any tips? Or am i just way to anal with my paint?

Here he is after the last dealing session..

And here is how it sits at work..

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:38 AM   #2
Moni
H-Town Camaro Club VP

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
Mine does the same thing. They still perform the same after wash.
Moni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
obviously you know to wash them seperatly (no other towels).....and use detergant that has no color, or perfumes......and YES, its ok to put a little bleach in the wash to BRIGHTEN them up. I got that info straight from Adams.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
obviously you know to wash them seperatly (no other towels).....and use detergant that has no color, or perfumes......and YES, its ok to put a little bleach in the wash to BRIGHTEN them up. I got that info straight from Adams.
Yeah i know that part, I also heard to use the liquid soap and not the particulate soap?

I'll have to try the bleach i guess. I don't mind having grungy looking towels..it's a mental thing i guess...

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

Old 03-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Looks sweet, and yes my towels do the same. Now, if Junkman comes in here and sees that you drive your car and then cover it, you know your going to get the lecture, right?

A dirty car can't get scratched if you don't touch it. Slap a cover on a car and all that fresh brake dust, road grime, etc etc and you've got scratch city.

(I guess you got the lecture already, lol)
Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Yeah i know that part, I also heard to use the liquid soap and not the particulate soap?

I'll have to try the bleach i guess. I don't mind having grungy looking towels..it's a mental thing i guess...
I was having the same problem you are, and ask the question about the bleach......after I got the "go ahead" from Adams....and after I washed my MF towels....they look SO MUCH BETTER.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Just try to limit how often you bleach them... while it will whiten them up its extremely hard on the towels and will shorten their usable life.

Personally I spot treat any nasty stains RIGHT WHEN THEY HAPPEN with our All Purpose Cleaner... spray into the towel, agitate by hand, then let them soak overnight in a bucket that contains clean water and a few ounces of APC as well... pull them out, run them thru the normal wash routine immediately and about 80% of the time they come out sparkling white.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
Moni
H-Town Camaro Club VP

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Just try to limit how often you bleach them... while it will whiten them up its extremely hard on the towels and will shorten their usable life.

Personally I spot treat any nasty stains RIGHT WHEN THEY HAPPEN with our All Purpose Cleaner... spray into the towel, agitate by hand, then let them soak overnight in a bucket that contains clean water and a few ounces of APC as well... pull them out, run them thru the normal wash routine immediately and about 80% of the time they come out sparkling white.
Hey, good tip..I don't like bleach, but love the APC. thanks!!!
Moni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:

hmmmmmm thats just as easy.....and not as hard on our GREAT MF towels....I will use that technique the next time I need to do anything other than the normal wash.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Looks sweet, and yes my towels do the same. Now, if Junkman comes in here and sees that you drive your car and then cover it, you know your going to get the lecture, right?

A dirty car can't get scratched if you don't touch it. Slap a cover on a car and all that fresh brake dust, road grime, etc etc and you've got scratch city.

(I guess you got the lecture already, lol)
Oh it gets a good dust off before the cover goes on...but it is a DD..soooo it's going to get scratches..just no swirls. heck.. I wash the car every week at least once..and try and wax it too... Plus I look at it this way... If it gets covered in dust (only takes 1 night of sitting in az) i have to wash it..so theoretically it will get more scratches just from drying than it would from the cover on it.

Quote:

Good tips there... I'll have to try it!!

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

Old 03-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
hmmmmmm thats just as easy.....and not as hard on our GREAT MF towels....I will use that technique the next time I need to do anything other than the normal wash.
Cool... a big part of it is treating them EARLY... the longer it sits the more stubborn the stain becomes.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #12
Parkmad

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Black/Orange Stripe
I love mine too and have the same issue, but I am not worried about slight discoloration. Surprisingly, the detail spray has turned one of mine pink.
Parkmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
Chobbs11
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro LS
I am surprised that no one has said this. And not to sound like a "know it all" but, if your getting dirt on your polishing towels on a regular basis, perhaps your not doing a thorough washing??? If there is still dirt on the car I would think the detail process could damage the paint, no? So far, and I'm new to this type of detailing, my white towels have stayed white through the polishing process. but it takes me around 3hrs or more just for a wash and dry.
Chobbs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #14
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobbs11 View Post
I am surprised that no one has said this. And not to sound like a "know it all" but, if your getting dirt on your polishing towels on a regular basis, perhaps your not doing a thorough washing??? If there is still dirt on the car I would think the detail process could damage the paint, no? So far, and I'm new to this type of detailing, my white towels have stayed white through the polishing process. but it takes me around 3hrs or more just for a wash and dry.
3 hours to wash the outside of your car?? I'd have a car covered in water spots if i took that long... I'm cleaning it thuroughly but yea i may miss a spot.. I'm not to worried with missing a spot every now and then.. it's easier to clean the rag and move on!

2G1FS1EWXD9163847