Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-01-2011, 01:30 AM   #1
tribone
Searchin' ....

Drives: Powered by Bowtie
Arrow HOT WHEELS CAMARO CONCEPT SEMA 2011 Debut

Featured on Camaro5 HOMEPAGE.

Quote:
Name:  Chevrolet-Camaro-HotWheelsConcept.jpg
Views: 8793
Size:  104.6 KB

Press Release:

LAS VEGAS
– Fulfilling the wish of every child who has ever played with one, Chevrolet and Hot Wheels®have created a life-size Hot Wheels Camaro Concept. The car debuted at the 2011 SEMA Show – the aftermarket industry’s premier display of automotive toys.
The Camaro Hot Wheels concept is inspired by the “Custom Camaro” – the dazzling Spectraflame® 1:64-scale toy that was part of the original 16 Hot Wheels cars released in 1968. The project was a collaborative effort between the General Motors Design studio in Michigan and the Hot Wheels Design studio in California. Each sketched its own ideas of a life-size Hot Wheels Camaro, compared notes and refined their visions until the concept hit the right note for each group of designers.

“The Camaro has been a mainstay in the Hot Wheels lineup since 1968,” said Phil Zak, GM design director. “Several generations of car enthusiasts grew up playing with Hot Wheels Camaros, while dreaming of driving the real thing, so this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make that dream a reality.”

There was a similar buzz of excitement in the Hot Wheels studio.

“The Hot Wheels and Camaro brands have been paired together since their inception,” said Felix Holst, vice president of design for the Mattel Wheels Division. “As part of the brands historic sweet 16, the Camaro was the first Hot Wheels car ever produced. The Spectraflame paint and redline tires of those first Hot Wheels cars have been the dreams of guys for generations, and it was thrilling to inject these elements into a Camaro for real.”

The synergistic project created a car that is instantly identifiable as a Camaro with styling cues – including flat-black graphics, red-line wheels and, of course, the dazzling metallic-green finish – that are classic Hot Wheels.

The original Hot Wheels cars debuted with their metallic Spectraflame paint finishes, and the Camaro Hot Wheels Concept features a brilliant, chrome-style finish created in a similar manner: a tinted top coat over a shiny base.

In the case of the original Hot Wheels lineup, the process involved polishing the die-cast metal vehicle bodies and applying a metallic lacquer to them. With the Camaro Hot Wheels Concept, the process was decidedly more complicated.

“We are always looking for innovative ideas and processes that push the boundaries of design – including paint finishes – and the Hot Wheels concept definitely stretched our team to the limit,” said Zak. “They had to essentially invent a new way to paint the car.”

The reflective finish was created using Gold Touch Inc.’s Cosmichrome product, starting with the application of a primer coat on an immaculately prepared surface. The primer coat was then sprayed with a liquid-metal solution to create the mirror-smooth, silver-chrome base coat. Afterward, the green tint was applied in several layers until the just-right color effect was achieved.

“It may sound pretty straightforward, but no one had ever tried using this process to paint a whole car,” said Zak. “The bodywork and paint team experimented with several processes before spraying the first body panel. There were so many variables that contributed to getting the finish perfect, from the drying time to the air pressure of the spray guns – none of which was known before this project – and the team absolutely nailed it perfectly.”

Additional features of the Camaro Hot Wheels Concept include:

• Over Chrome Green paint with ghosted Hot Wheels logo on the quarter panels
  • Satin black ground effects (splitter, rocker and rear fascia-side extensions)
  • Satin black wheels with milled face and Torch Red stripe: 20x10-inch (front) and 20x11-inch (rear)
  • ZL1 grille with Hot Wheels badging
  • Hot Wheels badge on the decklid
  • Euro-style taillamps with new inner smoked lens
  • Euro-style rear fascia with new diffuser and exhaust bezels
  • ZL1 rear spoiler
  • Chevrolet Accessories Modified Satin Black Stripe
  • Black aluminum “CAMARO” fender badges with milled face
  • Black aluminum hood insert with milled hood vent extractors
  • Chevrolet Accessories Synergy Series gill decals
  • Black leather-wrapped IP and door inserts with Torch Red accents, and cut-and-sew flames
  • Hot Wheels sill plates
  • Hot Wheels cut-and-sew embroidered logos in the front seatbacks
  • Chevrolet Accessories pedal kit
  • Chevrolet Accessories footwell and cup holder lighting (red)
  • Brembo brakes: six-piston front with two-piece rotors and four-piston calipers (Chevrolet Official Licensed Product)
  • Suspension lowering kit by Pedders (Chevrolet Official Licensed Product)
  • Chevrolet Accessories strut tower brace
  • Chevrolet Accessories black engine cover
  • Chevrolet Accessories exhaust system
  • Under the hood is the all-aluminum 6.2L LS3 V-8 backed by the Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual transmission.
  • Collector’s model

Hot Wheels will offer a collector’s edition 1:64-scale model based on the full-size Concept. Purchase information is available at www.hotwheelscollectors.com, as well as the Hot Wheels and Chevrolet Camaro Facebook pages.

It will be the 18th 1:64-scale Hot Wheels Camaro model produced since 1968, all with a variety of colors and configurations. During the past 44 years, literally millions of Hot Wheels Camaro models have been produced.

The original Custom Camaro from 1968 remains one of the most valuable Hot Wheels toys among collectors. That year, Hot Wheels produced all the Custom Camaro models with Spectraflame paint – except for one version in white enamel.

Today, examples of the Spectraflame Custom Camaro in excellent condition can sell for $150 or more. Only 15 white enamel versions are known to exist, and none are in their original packages.

“The value of a white enamel Custom Camaro is upwards of $3,000,” said Holst. “But if one still existed in the package, the value could be tens of thousands of dollars.”

Making of video:

Wow!. I can't wait to see this car in the sun. The pictures do not do it justice! Nice job Adam! Hopefully I can get him to tell us more about the car soon.

Name:  IMG_7574.JPG
Views: 8568
Size:  55.2 KB

Name:  IMG_7576.JPG
Views: 8440
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  IMG_7577.JPG
Views: 8307
Size:  61.4 KB

Name:  IMG_7578.JPG
Views: 8551
Size:  50.9 KB

Name:  IMG_7579.JPG
Views: 8390
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  IMG_7570.JPG
Views: 8586
Size:  73.6 KB

Name:  IMG_7590.JPG
Views: 8357
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  IMG_7591.JPG
Views: 9042
Size:  95.4 KB

Name:  IMG_7593.JPG
Views: 8736
Size:  129.9 KB

Name:  IMG_7594.JPG
Views: 8427
Size:  63.2 KB

-Guillermo
My Pictures
tribone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
tribone
Searchin' ....

Drives: Powered by Bowtie
Name:  IMG_7596.JPG
Views: 8283
Size:  86.6 KB

Name:  IMG_7601.JPG
Views: 9339
Size:  88.1 KB

Name:  IMG_7603.JPG
Views: 9284
Size:  127.1 KB

Name:  IMG_7605.JPG
Views: 8436
Size:  87.1 KB

Name:  IMG_7607.JPG
Views: 8811
Size:  82.9 KB

Name:  IMG_7613.JPG
Views: 8399
Size:  79.0 KB

Name:  IMG_7615.JPG
Views: 8784
Size:  120.6 KB

Name:  IMG_7617.JPG
Views: 8781
Size:  93.6 KB

Name:  IMG_7661.JPG
Views: 9111
Size:  115.1 KB

-Guillermo
My Pictures
tribone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:34 AM   #3
ElManny

Drives: 2010 CGM SS/RS COTW 7/5/2010
Send a message via AIM to ElManny
pics do not do this car justice! one heck of a paint job. and dale jr was in the house!
ElManny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:36 AM   #4
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
There are so many different models, I am having trouble keeping up...lol
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:04 AM   #5
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
I would trade my car for this in a second I love the euro spec tail lights.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:32 AM   #6
pierre777
HT5 COTW 9/3/2012

Drives: Cyber Bullet
Send a message via Skype™ to pierre777
wooooooow WTF i'm getting those rims and wicked hood anyone know where to get them ,never seen a nicer looking camaro yet.
pierre777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #7
whamslam3
Camaro King [^*^*^]

Drives: Apollo 11 Camaro IOM
the exhaust area looks rly cool
Old 11-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Such a properly executed concept in every way. Man I love that hood!!!
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
That hood SHOULD have been the hood on the ZL1...that is both modern and retro to the Camaro DNA we all love.

I am seriously in LOVE with this concept. Wow. Blown away.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Joebot8484
ZL1 # 1307

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1, 2008 Hummzilla H3
wow! that looks awesome!
Old 11-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #11
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
love the hood,the ex. tips,those taillights will leave open to judgement as they look great in the photo but could come off as Buddy Holly glasses at night. Front grille is a must!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
562TROJAN
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS
I'd trade mine straight up for that! Love the pics! Thanks for posting.
562TROJAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #13
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
love the hood,the ex. tips,those taillights will leave open to judgement as they look great in the photo but could come off as Buddy Holly glasses at night. Front grille is a must!!!
I have seen, touched, played with, and ogled a Euro Camaro. The Taillights are STUNNING in person and really cool at night. This is Klaus, Fbodfather's CTF car that was Euro spec. Note the whole rear is different, not just the lights. They had a lot of other functions for euro spec as well (parking lights for instance.)
Old 11-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #14
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
I have seen, touched, played with, and ogled a Euro Camaro. The Taillights are STUNNING in person and really cool at night. This is Klaus, Fbodfather's CTF car that was Euro spec. Note the whole rear is different, not just the lights. They had a lot of other functions for euro spec as well (parking lights for instance.)
The ones on the hotwheels car look better. I think they have smoked lenses.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro concept hot wheels, camaro hot wheels, camaro hot wheels concept, camaro hot wheels sema, hot wheels camaro, hot wheels camaro concept, hot wheels camaro sema, hot wheels sema, sema hot wheels camaro, sema hot wheels concept