Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-01-2007, 01:19 AM   #29
$anani

Drives: chevy s10
i really want a stock ss hopefully they come out when the z 28 comes out too that one thing im still wondering?
$anani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:32 AM   #30
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
New poster here. I'm a Mustang guy who will more than likely trade in for the new Camaro when it comes out.

I really hope the engine offered for the Camaro is in the 450+ hp range. Though I have read that the base V8 engine in the Camaro will likely be the 5.3L that is found in the current Impala SS. Has anyone else heard that?

I don't know how realistic that is since I don't know my GM engines quite as well as Ford engines so forgive me.

Either way I think the Camaro needs something to compete with the Shelby GT500, and I have read rumors of a SRT-8 version of the Challenger too. Both will have at least 500hp. So it stands to reason that a high performance Camaro should have around that same amount.
Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:13 AM   #31
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
New poster here. I'm a Mustang guy who will more than likely trade in for the new Camaro when it comes out.

I really hope the engine offered for the Camaro is in the 450+ hp range. Though I have read that the base V8 engine in the Camaro will likely be the 5.3L that is found in the current Impala SS. Has anyone else heard that?

I don't know how realistic that is since I don't know my GM engines quite as well as Ford engines so forgive me.

Either way I think the Camaro needs something to compete with the Shelby GT500, and I have read rumors of a SRT-8 version of the Challenger too. Both will have at least 500hp. So it stands to reason that a high performance Camaro should have around that same amount.
Based on what little info that has been hinted by GM execs like Bob Lutz and Scott Settlemire, the Camaro will have more than enough HP to put both the Mustang and Challenger in there place very easily. They are quite confident of that.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:50 AM   #32
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
I think the SS will be available at launch and the Z28 will come a year later
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #33
IROC'em

Drives: Chevy 1500 5.7L Vortec
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Ok

click 3Whiterag member name...check
click "find all posts by"...check
Get crackin tag! lol

My dad has a HD Softail Heritage, 1450 I think he said, sunset orange. He is continuously going to the Harley shop and buyin chrome pieces for it. I told him he might as well pay to have the whole bike dipped in a chrome bath.
IROC'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #34
3whiterag
GM Powertrain Retired

Drives: 67SS350, 87 IROC L98, 96SS ver
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Ok

click 3Whiterag member name...check
click "find all posts by"...check
What does all that mean?
3whiterag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:16 AM   #35
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
You said you worked at GM powertrain and you already gave us enough hints at what to expect and that you would leave it at that. I said okay and went back checking all your posts. Still, I didn't find what I was looking for. The main thing I got was LS3 6.2 ltr as a possibility.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:08 AM   #36
Rock36
I just like V8s

Yeah that is what I was getting too...the LS3. I was trying to pick the brain of my brother-in-law, who owns a GM dealership, about what he knew about the new Camaro all that he heard was that they might be some kind of supercharged engine.

So maybe a S/C'd LS3 for the SS, and just a standard LS3 for the base V8?

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Last edited by Rock36; 03-02-2007 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:25 AM   #37
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
Yeah that is what I was getting too...the LS3. I was trying to pick the brain of my brother-in-law, who owns a GM dealership, about what he knew about the new Camaro all that he heard was that they might be some kind of supercharged engine.

So maybe a S/C'd LS3 for the SS, and just a standard LS3 for the base V8?
Your BIL owns a Chevy dealership, and you drive a Mustang... wow, how does he feel about that?
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:40 AM   #38
karr1008
Supercharging

Drives: 20XX Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
Well if you really want to kick some serious butt, I'm sure that there will be some serious aftermarket kits out there. For an example, check out www.ststurbo.com to see what they did to a stock corvette. They replaced the twin mufflers with twin turbos. The stock 'vette dyno tested at 357 RWHP. After the kit was installed, it dyno tested at 537 RWHP. It's not cheap at about 5k, but it has more HP than a Z06. Also check out their kits for '98-02 LT1 package. About 4k.
Hello everybody, this is my first post and hope to be a proud owner of a Cam5 whenever it is available. I had several Gen 4 f-bodies, Z28 and WS6.
Now, waiting for the mighty Cam5 to put an order to this mess on the streets.

Anyways, back to topic...
That's my route exactly. I will be ready to cough up 5K to get the extra HP I want from a SC or TC whichever works best but only if it guarantees me over 500plus RWHP:eek:
karr1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:43 PM   #39
Rock36
I just like V8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
Your BIL owns a Chevy dealership, and you drive a Mustang... wow, how does he feel about that?
He aquired the franchise within the last year, so he has worked for many other car dealerships until he could get the backing and experience to buy/run his own place. He was a general manager at a Mercedes when I puchased my Mustang, and as much as I like Mercedes and respect them for what they are. My car of choice is and always will be RWD American V8s.

Plus he knows that when the time I comes, I will see him about buying that Camaro.

But yeah, back to the topic. I just want a Camaro that will hold its own on the power for awhile. In 2005 when I bought the Mustang GT, 300bhp was a respectable amount. One of the reasons I got the Mustang was that I wanted a new car, and unfortunately the Camaro and Firebirds were already on hiatus. Now, 2 short years later, there are ALOT of cars, including pedestrian import family sedans, that are creeping up or that have passed that 300bhp mark. Eventhough I am modded and make about 340-350 at the crank it still just isn't enough.

We are in the middle of another horsepower craze, and I'm not sure when it is going to end, but I think if I can get a 500 bhp Camaro (with a similar torque rating) out of the box with the potential to get to 500 rwhp with relative ease, I will be happy for a long while. At least until cars are put under new and more stringent environmental regulations, and we find ourselves in the mid to late 70s again.

Generally speaking, if the Camaro gets an S/C'd engine of some sort, swapping a pulley to produce a few extra PSI of boost for some pretty sold gains should be easy.

Last edited by Rock36; 03-02-2007 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:47 AM   #40
shelbyGT500

Drives: 07 shelby GT-500
after this hp war we are going back down in a hurry................
shelbyGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:42 AM   #41
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyGT500 View Post
after this hp war we are going back down in a hurry................
I disagree. The difference between this horsepower war and the one from the 1960s-1970s is that the technology for making cars today is far superior. Companies are coming up with 300HP-400HP cars with better weight distribution and the capability of 30+ MPG fuel economy. Not too mention we have 500 HP cars like the ZO6 that are not only fuel efficient, but very user friendly for everyday driving (just not in winter). That's a big change from the crude, gas guzzling muscle machines like the Hemi Cuda and LS6 Chevelle.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #42
Rock36
I just like V8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rray200 View Post
I disagree. The difference between this horsepower war and the one from the 1960s-1970s is that the technology for making cars today is far superior. Companies are coming up with 300HP-400HP cars with better weight distribution and the capability of 30+ MPG fuel economy. Not too mention we have 500 HP cars like the ZO6 that are not only fuel efficient, but very user friendly for everyday driving (just not in winter). That's a big change from the crude, gas guzzling muscle machines like the Hemi Cuda and LS6 Chevelle.
We do have a much larger capacity and capability with today's technology, but I think the general expectation that people have for cars has increased as much if not more.

I would say that for many people looking for fuel efficiency, 30+ MPG just isn't enough anymore. They are looking towards the hybrid cars and battery assisted cars that get well over 40 MPG. Which at this time don't make all that much power.

With the growing focus on global warming, we might see a huge crackdown on emissions within the next ten years that forces most cars to be of a hybrid or maybe even fully electric design.