Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-10-2010, 04:36 AM   #15
BlissStreet
High Plains Drifter

Drives: Captiva 3.2, Aveo 1.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
cheaper to sell your ls3 and start over with a 427 LSX short block now!! $5650
This. The LSX block is Approx $1700. Plus the truing, boring, and forged bits....
Old 12-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #16
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Drives: A 4000 Lb BeaSSt
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
Lol @ "the ls series shortblock can handle 1000 rwhp stock, except for the *insert almost every component for the shortblack here*"

Quote:
Lol wtf are you talking about? Foundation? We are building a motor here, not a house. Lol

Are we copying all of this from a magazine?

Awaiting appropriate responses.....
Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/6410Jrod
Follow me on Instagram: @J_Rod6410
J-Rod6410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #17
SSTony

Drives: SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to SSTony
i wonder if my ls3 maggie supercharger will work on a crate lsx 454. If you can brake the ls3 apart and put it all on a short block then that would make it all worth it.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #18
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Just dump a LSX 454 in your Camaro!
Old 12-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #19
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
We could re-work your block for $4900 and make it safe for 1000 hp.

The LSX 434 is $6610 or $6750 for higher boost applications.

The LSX block is $2150 or $2250 for the tall deck.

That crate 454 uses the standard rod, it is not a completely forged bottom end. The LSX376 they sell is like a 409 cid or something and they sell that at 9.0:1 for boost and again standard powdered metal rod with a forged piston.

Our engine is very similar in price but uses better components and is precision built by one of the very best.

We do offer an LSX 461 extreme duty that can handle 3500 hp as well.

But for this thread a nice forged 416 would do at $4900. It would be very stout.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #20
Prochargedchevyi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrrod6410 View Post

Awaiting appropriate responses.....

Not even worth formulating a response. People never cease to amaze me with their idiotic comments.

You'd figure with over 1500 posts he might have learned something by now.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #21
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prochargedchevyi View Post
Not even worth formulating a response. People never cease to amaze me with their idiotic comments.

You'd figure with over 1500 posts he might have learned something by now.
you mean by idiotic comments because you claim the ls short block (ranging between a 4.8l motor all the way to a 7.0l motor), that all of them can run 1000 rwhp.

What the proper thing to say is that the stock crankshaft is capable of withstanding 1000 rwhp. The crankshaft is NOT the short block, it is only a mere piece of it. I think it's funny on how you defined the entire shortblock by just the crankshaft..... shows a thing or two about the "idiotic comments" in the said posts.

Then you somehow said that stock rods/pistons are only capable of 8 psi of boost. When there are countless people running 10+ of boost, and there was a local guy up here in pittsburgh that ran 20+ psi on a stock longblock. how much boost you can run is factored in by an extremely long list of variables... not by just your pistons/rods. so sorry.

go ahead and try to make somewhere near 1000 rwhp with an ls7 with forced induction..... even with forged internals.... let me know how that works out with you and your "foundation" and let me know when the thin cylinder sleeves crack.

k thanks bye

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #22
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissStreet View Post
This. The LSX block is Approx $1700. Plus the truing, boring, and forged bits....
Show me where you can find a good LSX block for 1700 delivered.

Cheapest place on ebay was $1975 with $550 shipping.

Danr there is doing it and then there is having it last. An engine built for boost from the factory at the very least uses forged pistons.

What did they use in the LS9 for internals? Why didnt they just use an LS3 off the shelf instead?

Ring material, ring gaps bearings gaps are all different for an n/a motor than a boost motor. Then you factor in the inherent difference between aluminum and iron. Like I said, there is doing it and then there is making it last. Lasting isn't 25,000 miles either. Lasting means 300+ track passes and still going strong at 60,000 plus miles. Your not getting that at 20 psi on a stock long block. Your not getting that at 8 psi on a stock long block.

The shortblock is considered the foundation for the build. You don't start at the intake or roof and work your way down do you ?

You want to make big power and not just be a dyno queen for a day you need a good foundation and it starts with the short-block and its components. This terminology is common.

Last edited by CC Performance; 12-10-2010 at 08:32 PM.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #23
Prochargedchevyi

Quote:
you mean by idiotic comments because you claim the ls short block (ranging between a 4.8l motor all the way to a 7.0l motor), that all of them can run 1000 rwhp.

What the proper thing to say is that the stock crankshaft is capable of withstanding 1000 rwhp. The crankshaft is NOT the short block, it is only a mere piece of it. I think it's funny on how you defined the entire shortblock by just the crankshaft..... shows a thing or two about the "idiotic comments" in the said posts.

Then you somehow said that stock rods/pistons are only capable of 8 psi of boost. When there are countless people running 10+ of boost, and there was a local guy up here in pittsburgh that ran 20+ psi on a stock longblock. how much boost you can run is factored in by an extremely long list of variables... not by just your pistons/rods. so sorry.

go ahead and try to make somewhere near 1000 rwhp with an ls7 with forced induction..... even with forged internals.... let me know how that works out with you and your "foundation" and let me know when the thin cylinder sleeves crack.

k thanks bye
Listen Son,

I realize you're still in High School and your generation's reading comprehension is elementary at best, so I can't critize you for misreading what I wrote. I'm sympathetic to the mentally handicapped.

That said, where in ANY of my posts did I say "shortblock"? Show me where I said that! A "shortblock", junior, is the block PLUS a rotating assembly.

I SAID "the stock crank and block" will handle 1000hp; and that encompasses ALL of the LS series (including your weak attempt to differentiate the 4.8) which is the same engineered foundation (yes I said foundation) as the the 5.3, 6.0, 6.2, and 7.0.

So next time you try to educate someone that has been building cars longer than you've been alive, make sure you read exactly what they wrote rather than making yourself look like an imbecile amongst other enthusiasts.

Now turn your hat forwards and pull your damn pants up!
Old 12-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #24
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabearcamaro View Post
Will soon be installing a Maggie and ported heads on my car.
Question is,what is a rough estimate to have the bottom end on my LS3 reworked to accept a higher boost from the Maggie?
I realize there are alot of variables with this question so that is why I am wondering about a ballpark figure. I would have the shop do the motor,heads,and Maggie install all at the same time.
If it is something that sounds near my budget I will persue my question with the shop that I use.
Thanks everyone!

The best advice I can give you is take what you think you are going to spend and double it. Trust me. I'm picking my car up tomorrow after doing this very thing over the last three wks. It's adds up quickly when you use the gd stuff!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #25
GJG

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Listen Son,

I realize you're still in High School and your generation's reading comprehension is elementary at best, so I can't critize you for misreading what I wrote. I'm sympathetic to the mentally handicapped.

That said, where in ANY of my posts did I say "shortblock"? Show me where I said that! A "shortblock", junior, is the block PLUS a rotating assembly.

I SAID "the stock crank and block" will handle 1000hp; and that encompasses ALL of the LS series (including your weak attempt to differentiate the 4.8) which is the same engineered foundation (yes I said foundation) as the the 5.3, 6.0, 6.2, and 7.0.

So next time you try to educate someone that has been building cars longer than you've been alive, make sure you read exactly what they wrote rather than making yourself look like an imbecile amongst other enthusiasts.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #26
Irnwkrkev

Drives: 2011 SS/RS LS3
/\ Great response to the post whore!
Irnwkrkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:18 AM   #27
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Quote:
Listen Son,

8+ lbs of boost can not be had on stock pistons right?

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/dynod...ldnt-done.html

hey look... a 700 rwhp STOCK UNTOUCHED 4.8 LONGBLOCK.... that thing saw 20+ lbs of boost

You said BOTTOM END... BOTTOM END = Short block. Maybe you should re-read your posts and read what you said instead of going off what you thought you said

and again... NOT ALL LS CRANKS/BLOCKS CAN HANDLE 1000 RWHP. Again... try making those numbers on a stock sleeved ls7 block, thin cylinder sleeves + boost = ruined motors.

Maybe you should read less magazines, turn more wrenches or go back to gen i sbc's.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #28
Prochargedchevyi

Quote:
8+ lbs of boost can not be had on stock pistons right?

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/dynod...ldnt-done.html

hey look... a 700 rwhp STOCK UNTOUCHED 4.8 LONGBLOCK.... that thing saw 20+ lbs of boost

You said BOTTOM END... BOTTOM END = Short block. Maybe you should re-read your posts and read what you said instead of going off what you thought you said

and again... NOT ALL LS CRANKS/BLOCKS CAN HANDLE 1000 RWHP. Again... try making those numbers on a stock sleeved ls7 block, thin cylinder sleeves + boost = ruined motors.

Maybe you should read less magazines, turn more wrenches or go back to gen i sbc's.
I swear you're 1 chromosome away from being completely retarded.

Again, your entire response was predicated off of incorrect (misread) information.

A 4.8 BLOCK AND CRANK can handle over 1000hp easily. You wanna know why? Because it's the same friggen design (foundation - there it is again) as all the rest of the LS series! You said "4.8 longblock" which is not what I wrote. A long block is the ENTIRE motor.

Here's the Tickle Me Elmo version of car terms next time your rebuilding your Tonka truck.

Bottom end - crank, main bearings, main caps, windage tray and oil pan
Short block - above + rods, rod bearings, wrist pins, pistons, piston rings (cam optional)
Long block- above + heads, intake and accessories

So it's pretty clear, Boy, that you have no idea what your talking about. You see, back in my day there were things called books. And you opened these books and you read them. These books made us so much smarter and they also helped with reading comprehension, so that we didn't make fools of ourselves in public. Oh, I miss those days!

But I guess I'll just stick to my magazines