Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #43
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccinator View Post
I know the history also! Times have changed! A 100lbs will make all the difference in a 2 ton car? For $65,000 I should be able to buy a car with a radio if I want it.

It has a radio fwiw... just with one speaker. If you don't like the way it comes you don't gotta buy one, I'm sure they'll have no problem finding people who like 'em just the way they are.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #44
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
I know the history also! Times have changed! A 100lbs will make all the difference in a 2 ton car? For $65,000 I should be able to buy a car with a radio if I want it.
So you really thing a Z28 will be 10k more than a ZL1... If I were you I'd pay 55k, and have 80 more horses with speakers and more.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #45
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Quote:

You can its called a ZL1..

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #46
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
I don't mean this in a bad way but how old are you?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #47
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
The black box is under it and the battery cable runs through it. Having said that, they did drop it for the COPO's didn't they?
Yes and really does the Z28 really need plastic engines covers for each bank? I'd bet we can find even more weight to pare off.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #48
Fraxum

Quote:
What is special is it lost 100 pounds while gaining heavier performance hardware and a 10 quart instead of 6 oil capacity.

Impressive!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #49
revychevy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
They did it right! Someone will always complain, but if you want comfort buy a SS or ZL1 if you want a little track fun and your tunes and air conditioner, buy a 1LE.

It's all good, I just need to figure out how to get the ducats to buy a Z/28...
Old 03-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #50
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Yes and really does the Z28 really need plastic engines covers for each bank? I'd bet we can find even more weight to pare off.
I am going to ask Al if they considered deleting the seam sealer. That's got to be good for 20 pounds.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #51
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
After reading a few posts - I simply came here to respond to a couple of them because I realized that too many people don't understand what the original intent of the Z/28 really was.......:

go back and read the history of WHY the Z28 was introduced in the first place.

Don't 'guess' and don't try to 'interpret' - because some of us were actually around back then! (I didn't mean that as a shot -- but.......)

Tidbit: the 1967 Z28 didn't have Z28 anywhere on the car - it was simply an option code (RPO) that essentially said: "This is the car we're building to compete in SCCA's Trans Am racing series. All others beware!" It was not meant to be a daily driver - and this new Z/28 is not meant to be a daily driver. it will "separate the men from the boys" so to speak....... If you want comfort -- this is not the car for you.....

We stayed true to the original intent. Want a stereo radio? Go buy a ZL1 or a
1LE or an SS and make mods.

The Z/28 is essentially a race car.

Sorry that some of you don't like that.....but we have to make hard decisions and I stand behind this Z/28 'til the cows come home.

I don't like to be this abrupt - but I'm operating on very little sleep - it's been a long week -- and frankly my patience is running a bit thin with people who don't understand what a Z/28 really is meant to be........

(....oh - and for those of you who are nay-sayers? I wish you could have heard the remarks about the new Z/28 - people at the unveil were blown away.......)
Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #52
Splat

Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFan66 View Post
They built the Z/28 just as it should be. If you add all the other crap then it's not a true Z/28..

If anything they left to much in it..

You have the ZL1 if you want the comfort and performance..

If you want the badge buy it and slap it on your car, it will be cheaper in the long run and just as fake if GM put in all the luxury crap..
+1
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #53
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
IMHO, Chevy just about nailed it. I was first considering building out a 1LE Camaro as a track day car, but getting the track (road course) performance I wanted was getting expensive. I was getting ready to buy a Boss 302S for track days, even though it's not street legal. The Z/28 ticks all the right boxes for me. LS7 motor that revs to 7,000 rpm, with 500hp/500lb/ft. Carbon Ceramic Brembos with serious ducting and ventilation. 19" wheels to save on unsprung weight. Pirelli Trofeo R rubber. Killer suspension. Cooling for both the rear diff and the transmission. For someone with my use scenario -- I don't care about driving it on the street, except for on the way to the track -- this car is almost perfect!

In short, the car I would have built -- but for a lot less than what I would have spent. This will be a car that is seriously quick, but overbuilt enough that you can run the thing all day long without it breaking a sweat.

Sweet...
Old 03-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #54
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
No, they didn't miss the ball. They hit the ball with a Howitzer. It fills a gaping hole that the lineup had. It's the most capable out of the box track car in GM's lineup.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #55
Fraxum

To answer the OP:
"Do you think GM missed the ball my making the z/28 a track only car?"

No. The Z28 is the real thing. There are other performance Camaros with plenty of gingerbread.

While the Z28 is not for me, (I can only afford one car) I am glad Chevy built it. It tells me real gear heads are in charge and will be building us cars that are exciting. I can remember much darker days at GM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #56
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I am going to ask Al if they considered deleting the seam sealer. That's got to be good for 20 pounds.
If your talking about that crap that's under the carpet? There is a lot of it in my SS.

I pulled the carpet up to put down Dynamat, and I was shocked at how much there was.

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote