Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-24-2014, 11:36 PM   #15
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
You guys are all forgetting, we live in America. The land where nobody is responsible for their own choices or decisions and everything is somebody else's fault. Why should the consumer do any research before spending $50, 000? Who has that kind of time, to find a very well known issue in this age where Google can find anything in 10 seconds? Not me, no way. I just throw money blindly and hope for the best.

Oh man, I forgot my caps lock.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-24-2014, 11:46 PM   #16
NovaDaddy
Nova Daddy

Drives: 2012 Cummins/1972 Nova 2 door coupe
This THREAD is AWEsome!!
NovaDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:47 PM   #17
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Summer tires are not winter tires.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:51 PM   #18
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Fail thread is fail.

This has been common knowledge for ages.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #19
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
I counter that by saying...... winter tires are not summer tires.

So Touche.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #20
OzzySS

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE, 2004 Cavalier
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
You guys are all forgetting, we live in America. The land where nobody is responsible for their own choices or decisions and everything is somebody else's fault. Why should the consumer do any research before spending $50, 000? Who has that kind of time, to find a very well known issue in this age where Google can find anything in 10 seconds? Not me, no way. I just throw money blindly and hope for the best.

Oh man, I forgot my caps lock.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
I COULDN'T HEAR A WORD YOU JUST WROTE!!!

OzzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:09 AM   #21
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
PZero's are horrible in the winter and I live in the south... I have driven on many different lower profile tires on many different cars and none has performed well in the winter..

235/35/19 Falken Zeix
225/35/19 Toyo Proxies
245/40/20 - 285/35/20 Nitto Extreme
265/30/22 - 315/25/22 PZero
And of course the stock Camaro PZero

All bad in winter...
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:13 AM   #22
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2021 Mazda MX-5
This guy has over 400 posts and still made a post like this? I mean this is common knowledge for people on this forum... I knew about the tires before purchasing my car and informed the service guy at my dealer.

2018 1SS 1LE, HyperBlue Metallic (Sold)
2014 1SS 1LE, Black, Twin Turbo (Sold)
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:27 AM   #23
Mmar88

Drives: 2013 BRM 2SS/RS/1LE/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine View Post
This guy has over 400 posts and still made a post like this? I mean this is common knowledge for people on this forum... I knew about the tires before purchasing my car and informed the service guy at my dealer.
I definitely thought troll until I noticed over 400 posts...
Mmar88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:27 AM   #24
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Hmmm...rear wheel drive, check
400+hp, check
2 door coupe or vert, check
vehicle designed to operate in the winter months (under 30 F), chec...errr

Chevy, in their infinite wisdom, realized that this type of car is going to be driven primarily on dry roads and usually in states where the temp is above 35 degrees most of the year.

Since the 1LE was meant to give people a taste of tracking and racing it makes sense to give them sticky tires that may not work so well on cold icy roads. These are not rally cars, they are muscle/pony cars.
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:38 AM   #25
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
A true story from a Chevy dealer employee and 1LE former owner I persoanlly know ...he had someone take over his lease because of this!

LONG STORY SHORT .THE 1LE HAD THE GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 THAT CANT GO OUT IN ANYTHING BELOW 20 or THEY WILL CRACK,THERE WAS ALL KIND OF ISSUES WITH THEM... NO TRACTION IN ANY WEATHER BELOW 50 IT WAS HORRIBLE .

THERE WAS ALL KIND OF HIDDEN BULLITINS I FOUND ON THEM AND STOP SALE ON ALL 1LE FOR 3-4 MONTHS IN THE WINTER , SO I WROTE GM ABOUT THE ISSUE AND HOW THE 1LE ALSO HAS NO TRACTION CONTROL EITHER WHICH MAKES THE CAR COMPLETELY USELESS IN 75 % OF THE TIME .... AND IN NJ A WASTE... GM WROTE BACK THAT SINCE I WORK FOR CHEVY I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN WHAT I WAS BUYING AND SO ON BASICALLY SLAMPPED ME IN THE FACE AFTER SPENDING 47,000 THAT WAS BS. THEN I TALKED TO THE SERVICE MANAGER AT OUR DEALER HE CALLED THE AREA REP AND THEY BLOW ME OFF FOR 2 MONTHS AT THE POINT I SAID I HAD ENOUGH I DONT NEED TO DRIVE A GM CAR AND THIS CUSTOMER SERVICE REALLY SUCKS AND GOT SOMEONE TO TAKE OVER THE LEASE... I STILL HAVE MY FJ CRUISER ....I WILL NEVER EVER BUY GM AGAIN AFTER THAT ISSUE AND THEN I FIND OUT WE HAVE A CAR IN OUR BODYSHOP WITH THE SAME TIRES AND A 1LE AND THE GIRL WASTED THE SIDE OF THE CAR AND CLAIMS SAME THING AS ME GM TOTALLY BLOWING HER OFF AS WELL.... CUSTOMER SERVICE IS BAD
1. Information wasn't really "hidden". Chevy announced ceasing all new ZL1 and 1LE deliveries during winter because of the sticky tires (as previously stated, even the P-zero's aren't that great).

2. Have you not bought a car in the past fifteen years. TC is standard and federally mandated on any new vehicle now (including ABS).

3. A little research before spending 47k should have been in order.

4. See above post on tire "issue".

I am not normally this acidic in my responses but you post comments are why there is now the warning label "...may cause drowning..." on Jacuzzi's.
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:40 AM   #26
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
This is not in response to the OP's opening comment but just a general reply to anyone who happens upon this thread in the future regarding tires. I work in the auto repair industry and I tell this to all my guys;

When you buy a car, especially a new one even a lease, you will wear out tires. That is a given. The average person is going to buy tires every few years so even if you only keep the car a short term, say 3-4 years, you will buy one replacement set before you get rid of the car. So, why not buy a good set of Winter tires right away ( unless you are down South, obviously ). In essence what you are doing is pulling a future tire purchase forward because the summer/all season tires it has will last twice as long because you will drive 4-5 months of the year on your Winters. You will end up have to buy replacement tires anyway, so why not get the Winters now and extend the life of your summers. Then you can drive safely with good traction and not kill yourself or others. Remember, my kids are out there on the roads with you and you are slipping all over the place spinning, sliding and blaming the poor traction of your all season or Summer tires because you can't be bothered getting a good set of Winter tires.

Just get them up front and be done with it.

Rant over.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:11 AM   #27
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Well I for one don't hear so good, so I'm just glad I didn't have to turn up my hearing aid so much to understand this one.

That being stated. I have the same tires. My dealer didn't tell me about it. He flat said "You probably know more about this car than I do" and sent me packing, which is fine. In fact I did little or no research on the vehicle. I knew I just wanted it and was going to love it regardless of little things like tires. In fact, a better way to put it was no real research was necessary because there wouldn't have been any little quirk about the 5th gens that would have kept me from buying one. I just needed to buy it and read the manual and go from there.

Fortunately I live in the south, had I lived further north I would have been fine with needing to maintain a winter beater or getting a different set of tires. Would have just been part of the deal.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:15 AM   #28
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Glad GM gave you a wake up call... Who doshes 40k for a sports car and expects it to handle in winter poor climate?

Dude your making yourself look like a ass

revived is offline   Reply With Quote