Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Anything I should do when I get my Camaro out of storage?

I live in northern Ohio and I put my Camaro SS/RS into storage in November and I plan on getting it out in late March depending on the weather.

I did a search and found a couple of threads that had a pre-storage procedure some guys recommended but I am not going to have the car in storage for a real long time so I didn't do much previous to storing it. I put a rag in the exhaust pipes to keep any critters out and the car is covered with the factory car cover, nothing other than that.

My question is that since I didn't do anything before I stored the car, is there any recommended procedures I should consider when I go to get it out of storage? Like letting it warm up for longer than usual, put anything in the fuel, etc?

Any idea if the battery will hold enough charge in 5 months to start the car?

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
Buelligun

Drives: 2SSRS manual yellow black stripes
I'd bet your battery will be flat!
As for anything else, let her idle for a few mins before you rev her and you should be fine.
I am in Calgary area and not driven mine since Nov either, I'm likely to do an oil and filter change-but thats me!
Buelligun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
mfr1950

Drives: 2011 challengerR/T , 2010 Ram R/T
Put sta-bul in the gas tank and run the engine to get it into the injectors,otherwise the dealer will have to clean the gunk out...
Put a trickle charger on the battery,if it goes flat it can freeze and you buy a new one..

Use jack stands to keep the weight off the tires so they don't flat spot ..
mfr1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
gtjacket
2G1FT1EW0A9118618

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black/IOM M6
^^READ the thread please. He is asking about taking his car out of storage and you are giving him advice on what to do before storage.
3400, Order broadcast 6/4
3800, Order produced 6/15
4000, Available to ship 6/16
4104, Bailment Invoice
4200, Shipped 6/19
6000, Delivered to the customer 6/25

2SS/RS BLK M6 GFX IOM interior
gtjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
deibelsan
1st Camaro, Love it

Drives: 2010 2LT M6 Black/Black sunroof
Drive it really hard and fast and then promise it you will do a better job of prepping it for winter next time.
deibelsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
OHIOSS
Russ

Ha ha good one Deibelsan. I think it will be fine but some of the threads I've read has gotten me a little paranoid about it. That is why I'm asking if there is something I should do other than start it and go when I pull it out of storage.

Russ
Old 02-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
kutch720

Drives: Camaro 1LT RS
First off that battery will be dead. Do not even attemt to start it. If you do your key will not come out until you get it jumped. Other than that you should be fine. Tires will most likey be flat spotted so the ride might feel off for a bit. Should go back to normal after driving around a few miles. Get the oil changed out and you should be fine. I see cars on lots that sit there forever out in the elements and they are always fine. No different putting a car away for winter. A lot of what people say for storing cars is for older cars.
kutch720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
Kalenn
Fan of all things Camaro

Drives: '13 Mercedes-Benz C250 Sport
Charge the battery. Start it and let it run for several minutes to allow for oil to circulate. If you have an A6 apply the brakes, including the parking brake, then move the gear select to each position and leave it there for about 30 seconds. This will ensure that fluid has circulated properly through the various parts of the transmission. Set the heater controls to maximum and crank up the fan. It's gonna be cold in there! Next, roll it out and hope you don't have bad flat spots on the tires. Brakes might be a little grabby so be careful.

"E for electricity... V For Chevy Volt and me!"
Kalenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
tony1

Drives: 2SS/RS Vortech/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hunsaker View Post
I live in northern Ohio and I put my Camaro SS/RS into storage in November and I plan on getting it out in late March depending on the weather.

I did a search and found a couple of threads that had a pre-storage procedure some guys recommended but I am not going to have the car in storage for a real long time so I didn't do much previous to storing it. I put a rag in the exhaust pipes to keep any critters out and the car is covered with the factory car cover, nothing other than that.

My question is that since I didn't do anything before I stored the car, is there any recommended procedures I should consider when I go to get it out of storage? Like letting it warm up for longer than usual, put anything in the fuel, etc?

Any idea if the battery will hold enough charge in 5 months to start the car?

Russ
Man ..don't let this happen again... it needs to be run.. You'll have some sunny dry days in the winter .. get her out.. you don't live in the Tundra.. the fluids need to circulate.. the tires can get flat spots also.. not good my friend .. I still roll her on the dry sunny days...
tony1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Is there a way to prime the oiling system before it starts? If it had a distributor I could remove it and prime it that way (I am happy it doesn't). Or should I just start it and let it idle for a few minutes?
Old 02-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Nice easy idle for 30 mins, change the oil, get in and drive! burn off the first half tank and then top up, then run down that tank and refill. easy its not complicated and unless its been sitting for 2+ years like my 57 (6years then its a cakewalk. You dont need to overthink a 6 month or less storage.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
ESqezMe
Banned

Drives: 10 IOM 1SS
not to knock any of the other posts but I just unwrapped my IOM SS from storage since Nov also. All I did is jack her up drain the oil(before i even tried to start her after sitting for nearly 4 mths) so that all the metal shavings and so on wouldnt get run back through the engine. Filled her up with 8qts of mobile 1 checked her dip stick to make sure she was filled to the brim with oil.. then came the moment I have been waiting for since an hour after i first put her away...... grawllllllllllllllllll
She started up like nothing.. as if she was just driven the day before!
I let her sit there and run until she got warm then said my good byes for at least ONE MORE snow storm!

I mean you should do what ever you feel is right but I think alot of it is an over kill.

I put mine away last year with 1,200 miles on it and a FULL tank of gas,

no dead battery(in fact when I started her the radio started up playing the same song it was playing when I put her away)

No hard start, no smoke from her rear end pips

The tire issue MIGHT happen but its not like you can do anything about it now, just remember next year to put it on jack stands so not all the weight is sitting on the tires
ESqezMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #13
OHIOSS
Russ

Great suggestions guys, which brings up another question. There is no way I can change the oil where the car is now. It's only about a 6 mile drive to get it home, is it that critical to change the oil before I drive it 6 miles?

Tony- I had not planned on storing the car away from my house but I have kept my car garaged for the past 25 years I have lived in my house. I had forgotten what a complete pain in the a$$ it is to clean the snow and ice off of the car and windshield. My garage is heated and the Camaro was taking up my side so my Charger had to sit out. I was able to find a storage building 6 miles from my house and it's only $30/month to store it. Keeping it in storage has kept the miles off of the car, and I likely wouldn't drive it much any way. Other than the first time the dealer washed it, it hasn't seen water since.

Russ
Old 02-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #14
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
The oil will be fine until you get a chance to change it. Charge the battery, air up the tires, and take it for a drive. You want the oil to be hot before you change it. Plus if the motor has not been brought up to operating temp, the filter will be very hard to get off. Much easier to remove a warm filter.

Next year, Put stabil in the gas, and a Battery Tender on the battery. Roll it a bit once a month or drive it to keep the tires from flat spotting. Or put it on jackstands.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote