Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
DIY Alignment?

Does anyone do their own alignments? If so, what are your techniques?
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Does anyone do their own alignments? If so, what are your techniques?
Nessal, take a look at the recommended alignments we have listed on this document (click for larger version):

There are a lot of good techniques you can use for this. Some of them require very inexpensive tools like "Toe Plates" and a bubble Camber gauge from Longacre here:

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...id=152&catid=5
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...st.asp?catid=5

Others require nothing but a set of jack stands, some fishing line and a good tape measure, or even better, a set of calipers. This is a much more accurate way of doing it because you can get a true toe measurement relative to the chassis, versus the toe plates just giving you relative toe (relative to each wheel).

In addition, check out the DIY alignment techniques listed here on David Farmer's site (a well known Corvette racer) http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/align.pdf

Let us know if you have any other questions. We can expand on anything you need to know. I don't believe we have ever gotten a car aligned at a shop, as DIY techniques are incredibly accurate and often required when you are at the track.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Damn! Thanks!
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
DesertCamaro

Drives: Fast
I do my own alignments on my '69 Mustang using strings, levels and rulers but I don't think I'd try it on my '11 Camaro. Seems like it'd need to be a bit more precise. Them tires are too friggen expensive
DesertCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
HaddadMotorsports

Drives: Camaro
There is no reason you couldn't do your own alignment, however I assure you, you would be saving money in the form of time, paying an experienced shop with modern equipment to do it.

I happen to own some of the best alignment equipment and on average it takes me an hour or so to get it dead on. If i was using some of the old methods with the right equipment it would take me bewtween 4-6 hours to get anywhere near what i get now. And thats all assuming you know what your doing and you have the right measuring tools.

If all you've got is a measuring tape and some string, good luck You'll get it drivable but it wont be pretty.

Thanks
Mike Haddad
HaddadMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
Li0nel1234
What should I name my car

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via AIM to Li0nel1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaddadMotorsports View Post
There is no reason you couldn't do your own alignment, however I assure you, you would be saving money in the form of time, paying an experienced shop with modern equipment to do it.

I happen to own some of the best alignment equipment and on average it takes me an hour or so to get it dead on. If i was using some of the old methods with the right equipment it would take me bewtween 4-6 hours to get anywhere near what i get now. And thats all assuming you know what your doing and you have the right measuring tools.

If all you've got is a measuring tape and some string, good luck You'll get it drivable but it wont be pretty.

Thanks
Mike Haddad
^ It's a lot of work to do it yourself... I'd rather pay someone to have it done in an hour with state of the art, hairline precise equipment.
Performance: ARH 2"/"3 headers + ARH 3" HF catback system, SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, motul RBF 600 fluid, K&N CAI (w/custom insulation), plug wires, air scoop, Hurst STS, Pedders Track II suspension, 18x10 wheels, 295/45/18 Nitto NT05s
Looks: powder coated iom calipers, LED foglights w/ always on harness, custom painted bowties, window tint, smoke tinted tail lights etc, oem gfx w/ custom outlets, painted taillight bezels, all weather trunk mat
Li0nel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaddadMotorsports View Post

Thanks
Mike Haddad
Mike you bring up a great point: Experience is key. Your experience is nothing short of stellar, and you can bang out alignments that are extremely precise. I should have noted that the DIY alignment takes much longer for sure for the average customer to do, since it does not happen often and they may not be familiar with the techniques and tools used.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
There are race track guys that can do alignments with strings, plates and chewing gum that are as accurate as a machine. The number of guys that can do this are so small it makes you wonder if they exist. I know one. His name is Rich Johnson at Back Street Performance in Medinah Ohio.

Race track alignments using track side tools are excellent -- for racing. A T1 SCCA racer will go through at least two sets of slicks in one race weekend. One of the longer tracks they run would be Road America. If they run the full race it is 20 laps. That is 80 miles. As long as they get from start to finish tire wear is not a concern. They just need enough tire left to run the last five laps a fraction of a second faster than the other cars on track.

My guess is you expect to get a reasonable amount of wear out of your street tires. Think about this. If you started a cross country trip from LA to New York and you toe was off one degree, with a theoretical straight line shot aiming the car from LA to NY, you would end up in DC. That is roughly 2,400 miles. Imagine how much rubber you would scrub off that out of toe spec tire as you drag it cross country.

Mike is right. You want your Camaro aligned on equipment that is maintained like new. The best equipment in the world operated by a hack will not deliver a quality alignment. The tech needs to be as up to date and well trained as the equipment. The third factor is the shop. The shop must be committed to quality results and customer satisfaction. Your find that at most Pedders shops and Mike is a very good example. With Pedders, Mike has attended Dealer meetings and spent time with some of the best shop owners in the USA and Australia. Some of our best Australian Pedders staff have spent time with Mike. They all learn from each other and probably more that way than anything we present in a meeting. Add to that Mike's personal experience in autosport and you have an expert. We have a number of people like Mike in our Dealer Network. People like this are exactly what you need to get a quality alignment for your 5th Gen or any other vehicle.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li0nel1234 View Post
^ It's a lot of work to do it yourself... I'd rather pay someone to have it done in an hour with state of the art, hairline precise equipment.
Heath in one of Pedders best. I am glad you could make the trip out to him.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
Li0nel1234
What should I name my car

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via AIM to Li0nel1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Heath in one of Pedders best. I am glad you could make the trip out to him.
Me Too!

Still lovin my pedders equipped camaro!
Performance: ARH 2"/"3 headers + ARH 3" HF catback system, SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, motul RBF 600 fluid, K&N CAI (w/custom insulation), plug wires, air scoop, Hurst STS, Pedders Track II suspension, 18x10 wheels, 295/45/18 Nitto NT05s
Looks: powder coated iom calipers, LED foglights w/ always on harness, custom painted bowties, window tint, smoke tinted tail lights etc, oem gfx w/ custom outlets, painted taillight bezels, all weather trunk mat
Li0nel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #11
Squintz Palladoris

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
Great thread. Good info for when you replace all of your suspension components and want to get it close before you drive it to a shop to get it dialed in. And good info to have while at the track, even if only used to trouble shoot.

Which one of those Longacre Caster/Camber gauges works for our cars?
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #12
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Pete, everything you said about Mike was 100% true, but you forgot that he's pretty too.

but he knows his $@^% when it comes to cars!
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #13
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
I do my own alignments when I do suspension work. It's not perfect but it's pretty damn close and usually always with in stock specs. It'll do just fine until you can get it on a machine to get it perfect.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:04 AM   #14
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squintz Palladoris View Post
Great thread. Good info for when you replace all of your suspension components and want to get it close before you drive it to a shop to get it dialed in. And good info to have while at the track, even if only used to trouble shoot.

Which one of those Longacre Caster/Camber gauges works for our cars?
Gauges, we don't need no stinkin gauges.

Tape a string to the fender with a weight (nut) measure from the string to the rim for camber.

There is no caster adjustment with the factory bolts. Grind a slot where the round hole was for the radius arm and max out the caster.

Make your own slip plates out of a couple of aluminum or steel plates that are say 12 x 12". You need four. Put grease on two and drop plates three and four on top. Toe plates that work and are dirt cheap. With toe plates or just good size aluminum angle stock and a tape measure you are ready to go.

Yes I have aligned cars this way because that is what I was taught over 30 years ago. It is old school down and dirty, but not a replacement for a modern alignment machine.

Track side adjustments are over rated. If you know what your car is doing drive around it. More races have been lost with just one more last minute adjustment than will ever be won with a last minute adjustment. Sit down. Shut up. Drive the wheels off.