Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
VeNoM

Drives: I dare not say
camaro automatic tranny question

A friend of mines parents bought a 2010 camaro SS automatic, and they are havin a problem with the tranny. They park in their driveway (which is at a slight slant) and they usually park back end first. They don't use the parking break, just put it in park, and they say that when thye try to leave, it won't want to shift into gear. Anybody have any reason for this? they don't know about this website yet and I keep forgetting to tell them, so I figured I'd ask for them. Let me know what you guys think!
VeNoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
They didn't read the manual? It says to engage the parking brake before releasing. (I have not read this manual but all gm's with rwd at's will say that).

Also if it's an an angle they should park normally.

The tranny well let the dealer worry about it and tell them to read the manual before operating the vehicle again.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
VeNoM

Drives: I dare not say
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
The tranny well let the dealer worry about it and tell them to read the manual before operating the vehicle again.
No need to get rude, I was asking a question on my own, out of my own curiosity. They said something about hearing about the e-brake having to be engaged, which is why I brought that part up, but they had a Suburban and never had to do that before.

Sometimes manuals say we need to do things when if we don't follow it word for word, nothing will break. I did not know about the manual or what it said, for I do not have the car, and therefore don't have a manual to read.
But thanks for your input.
VeNoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:11 AM   #4
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
When they pull in they should engage the parking brake before putting it in park...
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:50 AM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
They didn't read the manual? It says to engage the parking brake before releasing. (I have not read this manual but all gm's with rwd at's will say that).

Also if it's an an angle they should park normally.

Wait what do you need to do differently with RWD?? I've never had a RWD and my Camaro will be here soon. Somebody help me out.
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNoM View Post
A friend of mines parents bought a 2010 camaro SS automatic, and they are havin a problem with the tranny. They park in their driveway (which is at a slight slant) and they usually park back end first. They don't use the parking break, just put it in park, and they say that when thye try to leave, it won't want to shift into gear. Anybody have any reason for this? they don't know about this website yet and I keep forgetting to tell them, so I figured I'd ask for them. Let me know what you guys think!
Could be just me, but i think its weird. I have never used the parking/e-brake on my car when just parking in a lot/street or my driveway with my grad prix. And my dad doesn't use his as well. (yea yea i know all about how you should use the parking break, as its only small pin/latch that engages in park on a auto....but w/e i still do it)

If its getting stuck and not engaging into gear, go talk to the dealer or ask a tech, or check the corvette forums, as it could be a 6L80 specific issue
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM

Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
hmmm, yeah, I'm sure the manual does say to engage the parking break before exiting but this shouldn't be happening even if they didn't engage the parking break. I could see if you were at a 50 degree gradient or something that the transmision might not be able to engage from neutral but not a 'slight slant'

Take it to the dealer.
2000 (dealer received allocation):
2500 (order preferenced):
3000 (accepted to production):
3300 (scheduled for prod):
3400 (broadcast):
3800 (produced):
4000/4B00 (available to ship/bayed):
4200 (shipped):
4300 (intermediate, may be multiple):
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #8
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
you guys are making it out to be more than what it is..thi happens in almost any car sometimes when parking on a hill if you have your goot on the brake then put it into park without engaging the ebrake first..its going to be harder to get it into gear when leaving...on automatics of course
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote