Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-27-2007, 06:06 PM   #1
darthknight72

Drives: 1983 trans am
XM or Sirius?

Hello camaro lovers.I love everything about the new camaro with the exception of 1 thing:It comes equipped with XM,but I am a Sirius fan.There has been rumors about a possible merge between the two so by the time the camaro comes out I might not have to worry about it.If not I plan on putting Sirius radio in my car.My question is what would you perfer?XM or Sirius?
darthknight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
bprange

Drives: '94 Red/Black Z/28
I've had xm for over 7 years (I was one of the first 5,000 subscribers) and never looked back. I have nothing against sirius but have had xm for so long that I pretty much know exactly what to expect on each channel.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:46 PM   #3
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I just installed the Sirius Stilletto 100 in the Jeep this week. I love it. I live in what's considered "the sticks", and I haven't had any problems yet.

As for the new Camaro, I could be wrong, but I haven't heard that it'll have XM.

The point could be moot as I've heard rumors of an XM/Sirius merger.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
To be honest, I have, nor have ever listened to either. I have no idea which would be "better".
But, I tend to hear about XM, more often then Sirius...

AND, I didn't know Camaro's radio specs had been released..., Unless all GM vehicles are coming with XM, then I get it...
Old 07-27-2007, 10:50 PM   #5
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Most are these days to be honest...at least with the option to get it.

I have also been hearing of this supposed merger, but there's so much legality behind the idea of a monopoly I'm not sure it could ever happen.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:25 AM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I don't know where I heard it, but I heard that GM was supposed to be making all their vehicles XM ready and IPOD ready. If this is in the works for the Camaro, I'll be very happy. I'll have to buy an IPOD, lol...but I'll be happy! No more CD's!!! Don't think I'll subscribe to the XM, though.

Ed, so you decided to go ahead and do it? Did it all work out ok? And how much is it per month for the radio subscription?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:20 AM   #7
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Ed, so you decided to go ahead and do it? Did it all work out ok? And how much is it per month for the radio subscription?
Yep, decided to "take the plunge".

What did it was taking a ride in my parents new Jeep G.C. this past weekend. It comes with Sirius free for 1 year.

The ability to listen to ESPN radio anywhere, plus all of the Cowboys and college football games was also a huge selling point.

Everything worked out well after some panic on my part. :o I stopped at Circuit City to look as their ad had a special on the Stilletto. The tech. working on the Jeep had me worried. He had his boombox blaring something that sounded like music, and he moved like he was immersed in molasses. But he did a good job installing it. As for the subscription, it is $12 a month, or $400 lifetime. I went with the lifetime subscription as its the better deal in the end.

Here is a pic. of it installed in my Jeep. I didn't want anything "stuck" on the dash permanently, so it sitting on the area in front of the shifter. The Stilletto is nice as I can take it out of the car with me wherever I go.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:37 AM   #8
urbanlegend
Wanabe SS owner

Drives: Nissan 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by bprange View Post
I've had xm for over 7 years (I was one of the first 5,000 subscribers) and never looked back. I have nothing against sirius but have had xm for so long that I pretty much know exactly what to expect on each channel.
I've only had XM for a year, but I pretty much feel the same way. I'm glad they'll have XM. I can just transfer my account.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:47 AM   #9
darthknight72

Drives: 1983 trans am
GM's come equipped with XM radio's.Crysler has a exclusive contract with sirius but it runs out soon.Ford has sirius also.I was listening to Howard Stern a while ago,and they was saying that all they would have to do is replace a chip to switch over from XM to Sirius.In fact they could do that for you at your GM dealership.Sirius has the nfl channel which makes it nice for me when I am over the road to keep up with my Steelers.Plus all the other channels you have to choose from.
darthknight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:48 PM   #10
urbanlegend
Wanabe SS owner

I thought XM and Sirius were merging anyway. ?
Old 07-28-2007, 05:36 PM   #11
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlegend View Post
I thought XM and Sirius were merging anyway. ?
In all the research I did prior to purchasing the 'Stilletto' everyone commented on the future merger of XM/Sirius.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:38 PM   #12
urbanlegend
Wanabe SS owner

Yep. I'm stuck over here in the sand box and it seems like news like that trickles in at it's own leisure. Being an XM subscriber I was concerned about my receivers. Guess I'll find out when I get back. :(
Old 07-28-2007, 06:40 PM   #13
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlegend View Post
Yep. I'm stuck over here in the sand box and it seems like news like that trickles in at it's own leisure. Being an XM subscriber I was concerned about my receivers. Guess I'll find out when I get back. :(
Don't quote me on this, but I think if XM and Sirius merge, you may not have an issue with your receiver.

On a side note, just wanted to say "Thank You"!....I didn't know you were in the service.

Thank you, be safe, and stay well.

Please thank all of your fellow service men and women for us. Without you folks, we wouldn't have the freedom the enjoy this hobby we all love so much.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:29 PM   #14
urbanlegend
Wanabe SS owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Don't quote me on this, but I think if XM and Sirius merge, you may not have an issue with your receiver.

On a side note, just wanted to say "Thank You"!....I didn't know you were in the service.

Thank you, be safe, and stay well.

Please thank all of your fellow service men and women for us. Without you folks, we wouldn't have the freedom the enjoy this hobby we all love so much.
You're welcome and I thank you for your support. I only have a few weeks left here though. Then I'll be back to harass Chevy dealerships.