Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Soloshawn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Track Day brake pads and brake lines

I have a 2011 2SS/RS Automatic. I went once last year to a track day, and I just finished my 2nd track day yesterday. I started off a few weeks ago doing 2:25 times and of yesterday dropped to 2:05 times. The problem is that I can't go any faster. I am at the track in the Intermediate group (the Advanced group are race cars or over $120,000 cars as Audi R8, Corvette Z06, a ton of Porsches GT3 RS with carbon fiber brake discs and so forth. They trailer in their cars.) with BMW M3, Porsche GT3, Lotus, Corvette's and such with heavy modifications t them and track wheels and tires. My car is a daily driver that except for Dot 4 brake fluid is stock. I changed the tires 2,000 miles ago (has 18,000 miles total after 3 years) to BF Goodrich Comp 2 tires which for are good. Te problem is that I brake deeper into the corners than these cars do and the brakes get very hot and fade quickly the way I drive and 3,800 lbs dry. What brake pads to use and do stainless steel brake lines work. One more track day this year.
Soloshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
For track use, we have had good luck with the Hawk DTC 30's up front and the Hawk HP Plus in the rear. Stainless brake lines will definitely help with petal feel and braking response as well.

If you are serious about tracking the car, I'd suggest looking into our CTS-V brake upgrade. The stock calipers are good, but under heavy track abuse, they just don't quite cut it.

We have hands on knowledge with every product we sell and race our own cars on the track. So we know what works and can set you up with just what you need to meet your goals and budget. Please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions or pricing. Have a great day!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Synner

Drives: cars
What tire/wheel sizes are you running? What alignment specs? Any suspension mods? You can always run faster with an optimized setup. I've spanked many a porsche on stock tires.

Are the tracks you're running on the short side with lots of turns or larger with many high speed straights? Brake lines will help with pedal feel and consistency as things get hotter but they don't really do anything for fade itself. You can get Cobalt Friction, Carbotech, or Hawk DTC's for pads. But aggressive track pads will not be good on the street, the pad changes are so simple on these cars its not a big deal to have 2 sets. Especially with how rarely you run it at the track. A rotor upgrade or brake ducts would be beneficial as well to help with heat/fade.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Synner

Drives: cars
And I agree the DTC's are good but are loud, dust like crazy, and do horrible things to your wheel finish. Not a daily driver pad choice unless you're ok with all those things. Everything is a compromise if you want a dual use setup.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
Soloshawn

Stock wheels and no suspension mods. It is stock as I said. The track is counterclockwise with 15 turns and one 1/2 mile straight where the car gets up to 128 mph and then heavy braking where the car is shimmering sideways under braking. I was a racer for 30 years and you are either on the brakes or the gas. Maybe three times next year or 4 at the outmost, maybe one more in early October this year.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
racing brake pads are awesome....they also have good stainless lines as well. racingbrake.com

There are other companies for brake pads like carbotech and cobalt friction.

Racing brake pads make a world of difference in stopping power and a good pad will have no fade.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:11 AM   #7
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
I really recommend stainless lines and a pad you swap in for track days. With the ease of pad changes on our car its a no brainer. I run cheapo dura last pads for street and RacingBrake pads for the track. i recently recommended the rb 970 pads to chmsc and he loved them...very consistent bite with a high degree of control.

I run the X3 pads from racingbrake but i dont think they sell them yet or have a official name/designation for them...but these pads need to be warmed up and arent for daily driving at all.

Get a dedicated track pad set up and swap the day before track day...just remember to clean old pad off rotor and bed pads properly.. Your braking performance will thank you.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:46 AM   #8
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
If you want to go fast and be safe on the track, then track pads, stainless steel lines and Motul RBF 600 brake fluid is the only way to go. There is no way around it, especially if as you say you like to brake deep into the turns. Be prepared to go through brake pads because once they get below 50%, they start to fad, no matter if they are race pads or not.

One good thing about the SS Brembo brakes is that the pads are very easy to re&re. I do it about 2-3 times per season depending on where I'm racing. The only tool you need is a drift or punch that will fit into the brake pad pin holes and a hammer. I can do the set of pads now in about 1 hour from wheels off to wheels on. Oh, and get lots and lots of brake cleaner. I buy half a dozen cans when they go on sale at Canadian Tire.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:57 AM   #9
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
I wouldn't agree with race pads fading after 50% I was past 50% with racing brake pads and had no fade at all. They were not cheap but no race pad is and I will buy them over and over because they are that good.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloshawn View Post
Stock wheels and no suspension mods. It is stock as I said. The track is counterclockwise with 15 turns and one 1/2 mile straight where the car gets up to 128 mph and then heavy braking where the car is shimmering sideways under braking. I was a racer for 30 years and you are either on the brakes or the gas. Maybe three times next year or 4 at the outmost, maybe one more in early October this year.
What track do you go to? I am in the Portland area and will be doing track days next summer. So far I have only done PIR but would like to try others in the area.
EarlyApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
Soloshawn

It is the 3 year old track in Shelton, WA called Ridge Motor Sports Park and it is probably the best track in the NW. having raced motorcycles at PIR it is a very flat track that rewards horsepower over driving. Pacific raceways in Kent, WA has been around since the early 60's and looks like it today. It does have a dramatic downhill going into a very tight corkscrew. it has elevation changes. Ridge also has a Laguna style corkscrew at about 1/4 the size. 2.5 miles with 15 corners with an upper and lower tier and uphill and downhill blind corners. You can go to Turn 2 Lapping and see what tracks they have track days at and they are in Oregon also.
Thanks to everyone for the info this will help me beat the Porsche's and Beemers that cost 3 times more than my Camaro, and we do rule!