Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #15
shroomjohn

Drives: Golden Eagle
The 370 is a great car and close in comparison. Ive got a buddy a work w one that rags me all the time. He thinks that he would destroy me at the strip. Hes always talkin trash finally the other day he was really jabbing me in front of the guys which BTW several agree w him. Well I got tired of hearing it and laid a 100 on the counter and said anytime you want. He laughed and said we'll c. He's older and says he's stock. Ive got an L99 w halltech, solo catback,and a little reprogramming from Jannety,plus the stripes I got painted have to give me atleast another50hp to the ground I really think I should pull him.

Last edited by shroomjohn; 08-24-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #16
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroomjohn View Post
The 370 is a great car and close in comparison. Ive got a buddy a work w one that rags me all the time. He thinks that he would destroy me at the strip. Hes always talkin trash finally the other day he was really jabbing me in front of the guys which BTW several agree w him. Well I got tired of hearing it and laid a 100 on the counter and said anytime you want. He laughed and said we'll c. He's older and says he's stock. Ive got an L99 w halltech, solo catback,and a little reprogramming from Jannety,plus the stripes I got painted have to give me atleast another50hp to the ground I really think I should pull him.
what if hes a good driver and youre not so great?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
what if hes a good driver and youre not so great?
What if John is a good driver and the other guy isn't so great?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 08-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #18
BigDan

Drives: bug
The Camaro SS ran better lap times then the 370z Nismo at Laguna Secca during Motor Trend's 2009 best drivers car. The SS got a 145.72 vs the Nismo's 146.53

http://www.motortrend.com/features/l...lap/index.html

Contrary to popular belief the SS is a better track car then the 370z and becomes even better once you start the mods. I have to show alot of various forum member's this list and video links from that test just to prove them wrong and I think it was a great track with a great driver with good reviews.

There's also video's of these laps on youtube.

Last edited by BigDan; 08-24-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #19
shroomjohn

Drives: Golden Eagle
Then Im screwed outta 100 bucks lol but were both professional drivers me for 8 years him for 20+ We run them all the time on the highway of course what we drive at work is a bit different then on our personal time Thanks for having faith DGthe3
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #20
DieselNuts
Spartan Performance

Drives: it like I stole it
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Last I heard, that company in Alabama was trying to do just that. They already perfected the Rx7 and 240sx LSX swap and were trying to do the same with the 350zx and RX8.
http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/

one of my best friends used to be partners with Brian the owner.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #21
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
The 370z is an awesome car. It's not as fast as the camaro, but unless you've driven one, you can't understand why it's so great. It's a wonderful driver's car and the fit and finish of the 370 is light-years ahead of the 350. I would still choose the camaro over the z because of convenience, but as a second car it would be a tough choice. They're both fantastic.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:38 PM   #22
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
i believe your talking about the break failure that happened in one of the magazine's track tests. i think it was car and driver??? nissan has since addressed that problem with new brake pad option.
The brake failure problem is a separate incident from the overheating problem.

The brake problem is the result of Nissan's shitty brake system (Nissan is too cheap to put Brembos on a 40K car) causing complete failure of the brakes after a couple hard laps at the track. They also use cheap ass pads which cannot take the abuse of performance driving. And yes, it happened to Car and Driver, at VIR. The pedal dropped to the floor causing the driver to hit a retaining wall, luckily he was not injured. The car, however, was destroyed.

The overheating problem is once again to to Nissan being cheap as well as poor engine design. The car has a relatively small oil capacity and no oil cooler, so when run hard, the oil temps skyrocket and the PCM puts the car in limp home mode. This can happen after only a couple laps in a track environment, and Nissans response to customers about the issue is "install an aftermarket oil cooler"

The 370Z also suffers the same harsh engine characteristics as previous VQ engines. Its very coarse when rev'd, and at higher RPM's engine vibrations can be directly felt through the shifter and pedals. This is a direct result of Nissan neglecting to put balance shafts in a V6 engine, which is a naturally unbalanced motor. Many would consider this unacceptable in a car costing so much, and even more appauling in a G37, which is supposed to be a luxury/sports sedan.

All that said, I still give the 370Z credit for being a good looking car at least.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #23
Forrest80

Drives: 09 370z mag black 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
The brake failure problem is a separate incident from the overheating problem.

The brake problem is the result of Nissan's shitty brake system (Nissan is too cheap to put Brembos on a 40K car) causing complete failure of the brakes after a couple hard laps at the track. They also use cheap ass pads which cannot take the abuse of performance driving. And yes, it happened to Car and Driver, at VIR. The pedal dropped to the floor causing the driver to hit a retaining wall, luckily he was not injured. The car, however, was destroyed.

The overheating problem is once again to to Nissan being cheap as well as poor engine design. The car has a relatively small oil capacity and no oil cooler, so when run hard, the oil temps skyrocket and the PCM puts the car in limp home mode. This can happen after only a couple laps in a track environment, and Nissans response to customers about the issue is "install an aftermarket oil cooler"

The 370Z also suffers the same harsh engine characteristics as previous VQ engines. Its very coarse when rev'd, and at higher RPM's engine vibrations can be directly felt through the shifter and pedals. This is a direct result of Nissan neglecting to put balance shafts in a V6 engine, which is a naturally unbalanced motor. Many would consider this unacceptable in a car costing so much, and even more appauling in a G37, which is supposed to be a luxury/sports sedan.

All that said, I still give the 370Z credit for being a good looking car at least.
The brakes overheat due to Nissan did not letting enough air too cool them. The brakes are not shitty. I believe even with the better brakes you get the same problem, no cooling and over heat, just takes longer to achieve it. There are 2 vent spots on the front of the 370z which have been covered to keep .CD numbers down. They can be opened up and vented to the brakes and your intake if you are so inclined to fabricate some tubes.

The engine overheats and does need a oil cooler for some real track time. I say it was unwise to not include it if it was needed.

I think honestly they were trying to keep the price near the same as 350z and some items got cut from the budget sadly.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #24
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest80 View Post
The brakes overheat due to Nissan did not letting enough air too cool them. The brakes are not shitty. I believe even with the better brakes you get the same problem, no cooling and over heat, just takes longer to achieve it. There are 2 vent spots on the front of the 370z which have been covered to keep .CD numbers down. They can be opened up and vented to the brakes and your intake if you are so inclined to fabricate some tubes.
The brake failure issue has very little to do with cooling and everything to do with the brake system itself and Nissan's choice in pads. The calipers are poor at dissipating heat, which causes the brake fluid to boil almost immediately, and the crappy organic pads melt away like butter.

The Camaro doesn't have cooling ducts, yet its Brembo brake system never faltered throughout the entire series of hard laps, even though the car weighs over 500lbs more than the 370Z.

When you spend $40K on a NISMO Z, you think Nissan would at least give you Brembo brakes. But Nissan is cheap, so they give you an inferior brake system that can't even survive 2 hard laps at the track. Pathetic, really.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #25
patSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS
Why anyone would buy a Nissan is beyond me. GTRs with launch controls that break your transmission and isn't covered under warranty. Overheating brakes. At least they don't have toyota's famous stick pedals, but just wait for it, it'll show up one day.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #26
JMM1181

Drives: '07 350z
Quote:
Originally Posted by patSS View Post
Why anyone would buy a Nissan is beyond me. GTRs with launch controls that break your transmission and isn't covered under warranty. Overheating brakes. At least they don't have toyota's famous stick pedals, but just wait for it, it'll show up one day.
My Nissan has been the most reliable car I've owned, are you saying the 2010-11 Camaro's don't have any issues? Are you sure about that?

Every car has it's issues, for you to say something so foolish as "why would anyone buy a Nissan" seems to be the same level of intelligence of people who are still trying to convince themselves that Hyundai is the same company it was fifteen years ago, and saying "I'd never drive a Hyundai". FWIW, I've owned domestic and imports and, to date, the imports (Hyundai and Nissan) have been far and beyond the most reliable, the Ford I owned nearly got me killed when the transmission completely died in the middle of a major highway.

Btw, to stay on topic with the thread, guys have been hitting 12.6 in the 370z with basic bolt-ons/tune. Stock for stock the SS Camaro should win, but this is a driver's race.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #27
patSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM1181 View Post
My Nissan has been the most reliable car I've owned, are you saying the 2010-11 Camaro's don't have any issues? Are you sure about that?

Every car has it's issues, for you to say something so foolish as "why would anyone buy a Nissan" seems to be the same level of intelligence of people who are still trying to convince themselves that Hyundai is the same company it was fifteen years ago, and saying "I'd never drive a Hyundai". FWIW, I've owned domestic and imports and, to date, the imports (Hyundai and Nissan) have been far and beyond the most reliable, the Ford I owned nearly got me killed when the transmission completely died in the middle of a major highway.

Btw, to stay on topic with the thread, guys have been hitting 12.6 in the 370z with basic bolt-ons/tune. Stock for stock the SS Camaro should win, but this is a driver's race.
I've owned 2 imports before my camaro and all I encountered were problems and problems. (Thanks German automakers). The camaro is extremely reliable and it doesn't have the stupidity of including features that knowingly break parts and ten cost you $20k to replace. I hate toyotas, hyundai, kia, nissan, you name it. Buying and sending money overseas in a time when the American auto industry is in peril is about as dumb as sending your money to relief funds in Pakistan that just end up in Al Qaeda's hands.

Back on topic:

It's not a drivers race at all. I have destroyed NISMO 370z at the track. The 370z is not even comparable to the SS in a straight line, far less the 350z. I have utterly DESTROYED every single z i have gone up against. A basic bolt on camaro runs low 12s and with tires runs 11s. If you're going to talk about modding the LS3 has the HUGE upper hand over the z.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #28
JMM1181

Drives: '07 350z
Quote:
I've owned 2 imports before my camaro and all I encountered were problems and problems. (Thanks German automakers). The camaro is extremely reliable and it doesn't have the stupidity of including features that knowingly break parts and ten cost you $20k to replace. I hate toyotas, hyundai, kia, nissan, you name it. Buying and sending money overseas in a time when the American auto industry is in peril is about as dumb as sending your money to relief funds in Pakistan that just end up in Al Qaeda's hands.

Back on topic:

It's not a drivers race at all. I have destroyed NISMO 370z at the track. The 370z is not even comparable to the SS in a straight line, far less the 350z. I have utterly DESTROYED every single z i have gone up against. A basic bolt on camaro runs low 12s and with tires runs 11s. If you're going to talk about modding the LS3 has the HUGE upper hand over the z.
I agree with you the SS is faster and has the advantage, but when it's close it usually comes down to drivers. Mod for mod the Camaro also has the advantage.

Quote:
I've owned 2 imports before my camaro and all I encountered were problems and problems. (Thanks German automakers).
I've also owned a VW which was unreliable and I would never own another audi/VW again so I can agree here. (the cars I was referencing was a Hyundai and my Nissan).

Quote:
The camaro is extremely reliable and it doesn't have the stupidity of including features that knowingly break parts and ten cost you $20k to replace. I hate toyotas, hyundai, kia, nissan, you name it. Buying and sending money overseas in a time when the American auto industry is in peril is about as dumb as sending your money to relief funds in Pakistan that just end up in Al Qaeda's hands.
If this is an accurate reflection of your intelligence it is not saying much, and I'm sorry for you if you truly believe this- time to take your head out of the sand. This is the type of pea-brained thinking that gets Camaro drivers the 'redneck' inbred label, I know from being on these boards that most people here are smarter than this but apparently you aren't?

Let's think this one through now: I purchase a vehicle from a local Nissan dealer here in the US and that money ends up where? In Pakistanin the hands of Al Queda? You don't say, now just how does that happen? Wouldn't that make my local Nissan dealer guilty of aiding and abetting?

Point being, that's a serious (and ignorant) comment to make, use your head next time.

Last edited by JMM1181; 08-30-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Closed Thread