Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 11-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #57
302-412

Drives: 2013 Ram Express
Funny how much they (GTOs) resemble Audi A5s and BMW M3s. How many car nuts think these cars are ugly too. The original GTO was nothing more than a Tempest/
LeMans with a big engine and some suspension mods. Oh yea, quad exhaust and two fake hood scoops also. Some people like more whats on the outside, some value more whats on the inside, matter of choice.
302-412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #58
ct06gto

Drives: 06 quicksilver m6 gto
I didn't like the gto untill i test drove mine. The performance made up for its lack of styling. In 06 there was no options other than a corvette which i could not afford. That being said i dont like the looks of the camaro either, at first i thought they were ok but now i see them so often that my opinion has changed. Im sure if i drove one i would love it. Thats why i wont drive one. Different strokes for differnt folks.
Torquer 2 cam, tfs 225 heads port matched with fast 92,kooks coated headers,kooks axle backs, svede intake, 391's, harrop diff cover, fast 46lb injectors, fast fuel rails,bc racing coil overs with misc pedders bushings,u/d pulley, ls7 clutch, gmm rip shifter, hendrix axle,hp tuners
ct06gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #59
jhintz20

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS L99, 05 IBM Goat
I have both an 11 SS and an 05 Goat. Both are fun as hell to drive. I love the looks of both of them also, but like the GTO a little more because I know that there aren't too many out there. I go days without seeing one sometimes, and I drive over 100 miles a day. When the new Camaros came out, I liked them because they looked unique and I didn't see too many of them. But now I see probably a dozen a day. I'm starting to put it in the same category as mustangs since everybody and their momma drives one. It's kinda annoying. Which leads me to my next big financial decision: selling the Camaro and adding a C6Z to keep my GTO company. (Decision also being made because I wanna beat my friend's viper lol)
jhintz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #60
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
Stock for stock, my '06 GTO would have smoked my SS. so yes, with headers and tune on the goat, sounds about right.

Define smoked? You talking car lengths in the 1/4?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #61
MichaelH
SOCAL HT5

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
Stock for stock, my '06 GTO would have smoked my SS. so yes, with headers and tune on the goat, sounds about right.
It shouldnt smoke your ss your ss should actually win being equal drivers

Old vehicles
2010 CGM Camaro (sold)
Other Vehicles:
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R-115 RWHP in mid summer
2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS- For Sale; Lots of extras
MichaelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #62
Nmbr1gmfan

Drives: Fast
I feel too cramped in the Camaro, more room in a GTO.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #63
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
I agree with the statement that the 04-06 GTOs were understated; but, not ugly. That, in itself, is kind of a problem, because you want a rippling, horsepower/torque monster to make a statement. I also agree that the G8 was a more handsome car.

I'd still like to own one down the road, though; maybe give it a facelift.

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #64
briancb1

Drives: C6 Z06
Off topic but since some of you guys forced my hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargemyride View Post
I had a 2006 GTO but the Camaro is sooo much beter looking than the GTO IMO.
Says the Camaro owner on a camaro forum.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMT View Post
but thats in the eye of the beholder, as alot of GTO owners think the Camaro is a ugly brick.

The faster car is undisputable, so to some GTO owners, they might look at you as uglier and slower.
On point with what quite a few GTO owners think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakemaker89 View Post
I gotta agree with revo I don't think they look bad but they definitely don't have the pop that the 5th gens do and boy can they get up and go!
The Monaro was designed in the late 90's and released as a 2001 model year. The car was already dated as it hit the US with its "GTO" nose and various rebading kit.

It looked dated in some ways as the 4th gen camaro did in 03 and the corvette in 04. But dont pop? Don't be so confident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
The GTO was not a horrible looking car but looks wise it had absolutely no resemblance to the original GTO's or any of the GTO's of yore for that matter. I think that had a lot to do with it's lackluster sales here in the states.
The most common complaint. The lamest part of it being brought over was that it had the GTO badge. It didn't share anything in common and should of been named something else IMO. The early GTO's were bad ass muscle cars, the Holden Monaro never tried to be a muscle car, it was designed as a sport touring car in every sense. Its comfortable, roomy in comparison, powerful and plush. It had features not offered by gen 4 camaro's, mustangs or c5 vette's for that matter, not in the same league.

Read about the Monaro here: http://autospeed.com/cms/A_1177/article.html

I love my GTO/Monaro very much inside and out. I don't see 4 of them on the drive to work, I recieve compliments regularly and it performs very well.

And for the OP, dont worry about losing to a car that is mechanically similar in more ways than not.
briancb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #65
Nmbr1gmfan

Drives: Fast
Monaro convert looks tuff as hell.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #66
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Sharp car briancb1

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #67
DieselNuts
Spartan Performance

Drives: it like I stole it
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama View Post
and now I present my work car:

when you see it, you'll sh*t bricks
I would NEVER mistake a caviler for a GTO and vice versa. I agree, the 04s were pretty bland, but even still, I knew a GTO when I saw one.

And to the guy saying an auto LS2 makes 410rwhp with headers and a tune...not even close man. More like 365 MAX. Also, manual cars are still faster in a straight line from the factory due to all the torque management in the tune of an auto and the fact that less power is lost through a manual drivetrain than an auto. Autos are preferred in the world of drag racing because of consistency.
DieselNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:45 AM   #68
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
GTO's are mean little bastards. I would not take on unless I was boosted.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:13 AM   #69
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
I don't think the GTOs looked bad at all, a little dated perhaps when they came out. The style fit something from the mid/late 90s vice mid 00s. Definitely not ugly IMHO.

Even the LS1 GTOs can be pretty mean without too much money invested

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Last edited by Rock36; 11-29-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:18 AM   #70
RocketCutlass
Property USMC

Drives: 95 Caprice 9C1
I absolutely loved my 06 M6 GTO I had. Best built car I've ever owned, and incredibly comfortable. She was plenty fast as well running 12.655 at 110.82mph bone stock with 8k miles on her. She had her Delco paper air filter in her, thats how stock she was on that run. I still hate to this day I had to sell her. The thing that I loved most about her was she was a sleeper, a Phantom Black Metallic sleeper. When I owned my 4th gen cops would stare just waiting for me to screw up so they could pull me over, not in the GTO. They never gave her a second look, she looked like a normal car. Now I absolutely love the Camaro and I will own one when I come back to the states, but I will always Miss that GTO. Her time happenes to be the fasest known time for a stock GTO as well on all the forums I posted on, kind of proud of that.
Attached Images

RocketCutlass is offline   Reply With Quote