Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
j.curt

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Removing swirls/micro scratches from black car

How is everyone removing or hiding the swirls on a black car? I have a buffer and followed the instructions from Junkmans YouTube video. I use the McGuire's M105 followed by the M205. After that I am using Chemical Guys Blacklight polish. I have also tried Adams paint sealant. It looks great in the garage or a cloudy day but now that summer is here and the sun is shining you can see everything and it looks terrible.

Thanks in advance.
j.curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:28 PM   #2
ShadowDan21
GM Advocate

Drives: 2015 2LT Convertible
I feel your pain, my friend. I recently just washed/clayed/waxed my car and found minor swirl marks.

Most people are so amazed by the mirror-like shine that they don't even notice, but I still notice them!

Joe M 2012 2SS mentioned on a thread I made how one can remove swirls/scratches from the vehicle.

I do not have a buffer, and I really don't want to spend the money on one just to use it ONCE to get the swirl marks out....

"Does it come in black?"
- Bruce Wayne
ShadowDan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
ENV US

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green RS, 1999 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.curt View Post
How is everyone removing or hiding the swirls on a black car? I have a buffer and followed the instructions from Junkmans YouTube video. I use the McGuire's M105 followed by the M205. After that I am using Chemical Guys Blacklight polish. I have also tried Adams paint sealant. It looks great in the garage or a cloudy day but now that summer is here and the sun is shining you can see everything and it looks terrible.

Thanks in advance.
I have had a number of black vehicles and found along time ago. Give it a spit shine. Wax in the garage out of direct sunlight Get a spray bottle and fill it with as hot of water as you can. After you have removed the wax mist the hot water on the panel and then rub with a Turkish towel. Swipe all the way through the panel. The hot water melts the wax into the finish. I have done it on every car I have owned including my Synergy Camaro. You will be impressed.
ENV US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
seven

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS 2LT AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDan21 View Post
I feel your pain, my friend. I recently just washed/clayed/waxed my car and found minor swirl marks.

Most people are so amazed by the mirror-like shine that they don't even notice, but I still notice them!

Joe M 2012 2SS mentioned on a thread I made how one can remove swirls/scratches from the vehicle.

I do not have a buffer, and I really don't want to spend the money on one just to use it ONCE to get the swirl marks out....
Um I have a 2015 Camaro and I love the fact that I have a DA polisher....it is not a one time use machine. Mine is a daily driver so an occasional scratch done by whoever walks by my car, dealership service idiots, or scratches from stuff flying at my car going down the road....the DA polisher has helped me remove these types of scratches. To me, DA polisher is an essential detail tool to have in your cabinet!!
2015 RS Camaro 2LT with Sunroof, Performance Exhaust, Ground Effects, Tinted Windows, LED Fog Lights(DD), CAI Cold Air Intake, Ghosted Side Markers(Showstopper), Elite Catch Can, Xpel & SunTek PPF, Replica Z28 High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 Replica Wheels(Satin Black Factory Reproductions)
seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #5
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven View Post
Um I have a 2015 Camaro and I love the fact that I have a DA polisher....it is not a one time use machine. Mine is a daily driver so an occasional scratch done by whoever walks by my car, dealership service idiots, or scratches from stuff flying at my car going down the road....the DA polisher has helped me remove these types of scratches. To me, DA polisher is an essential detail tool to have in your cabinet!!

I just bought one and all the add on accessories (pads for compound, polish, wax) off of Amazon - great price, by the way. I will be trying it out on a few of my cars over the next week or so.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
j.curt

What products are you using to remove swirls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven View Post
Old 06-07-2015, 11:48 PM   #7
j.curt

How many times can the buffing pad be used before you need a new one? How do you clean them? Mine put out a lot of wax dust when I use them after cleaning them.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #8
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
If your polishing technique is the same as AJ's you should be removing all the swirls and scratches down to nothing left but "rids" (random isolated deeper scratches), which on my Victory Red 2012, left me with 4 of these.

AJ's video's are excellent for doing all the flat areas of our cars, but as you already know, our cars have convex and concave curves. A few little changes in technique are needed to keep your pad spinning. (I'm assuming your not using a Flex polisher, but a random orbital DA). Mike Phillips from AG has a good video on polishing these areas.

If your getting all the swirls and scratches removed down to the "RIDS" the Blacklight Glaze isn't necessary.

I have used 205, and while it does finish down well, Carpro Reflect finishes down with much more depth, clarity, and gloss for me. Here is a black G5 Camaro done by Corey at Carpro USA with Reflect.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe he used crimson lake country hydrotech pads. Aside from being an expert paint polisher, he is a class act guy.

Contact him at CarProUSA, he will be glad to give you all the information needed, pad size and type, priming, section size, amount of passes needed, number of pads needed to do your car, etc.

If your getting all the defects out with the 105/205 and they are coming back, your wash/dry technique or wash/dry media is the culprit.

The Microfiber Madness Incredimitt and the Dry Me Crazy towel when used properly will not put any marring in your clearcoat, (at least I haven't had any in 6 months of using them).

A high quality soap that has a lot of lubricity is a must IMHO as well, I like Adams. 110% guaranteed if you don't like it, and they offer as good customer service as is humanly possible.

I would suggest you only polish a portion of your car, the hood or the trunk, and then work on your wash/dry technique. When you can do this without causing any marring, then polish the rest of the car.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:15 PM   #9
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDan21 View Post

The DA can also be used in the future to apply wax or sealants (Saves a ton of time versus by hand).

A brush can be attached to it to clean stains on carpet.

If you remove a decal or badge, it can remove the residue left in a snap with a microfiber pad.

It also will remove yellowing from headlights with a microfiber pad and compound. I've done 7 of these at $15 each that pretty much paid for the cost of the machine!
Old 06-08-2015, 07:22 PM   #10
seven

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS 2LT AGM
Quote:
What products are you using to remove swirls?
Well I don't have swirls yet my car is only 5 months old. However I have used meguiars m205 to remove scratches thus far.
2015 RS Camaro 2LT with Sunroof, Performance Exhaust, Ground Effects, Tinted Windows, LED Fog Lights(DD), CAI Cold Air Intake, Ghosted Side Markers(Showstopper), Elite Catch Can, Xpel & SunTek PPF, Replica Z28 High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 Replica Wheels(Satin Black Factory Reproductions)
seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:00 PM   #11
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
How many times can the buffing pad be used before you need a new one? How do you clean them? Mine put out a lot of wax dust when I use them after cleaning them.

Your not fully removing the wax when cleaning. Use an APC.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #12
j.curt

I bought some new pads and I am going to hit it with the 105 and 205 again this weekend to see what happens.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #13
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
Subscribed. The sun is out and my car looks good to others but to me, horrible! Swirls and micro scratches everywhere. Thinking about just taking it to a professional and trying to maintain from there. Don't trust myself to try and fix myself.
Current mods: Stainless Power Long Tube Headers,Cat Delete,CAI Cold Air Intake,Vitesse throttle controller, Muffler/Resonator Delete w/dual tips. ADM Performance Tuned,BMR 1.25 lowering springs,R1 Concept Slotted/Dimpled Rotors.
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #14
j.curt

Is there a better product out there for removing the swirls for beginingers with the DA polisher that may not have the best technique?