Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-29-2017, 08:33 AM   #1
bindu

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Need help finding extended warranty

Hi,

My Camaro just ran out of warranty 2 weeks ago and last week when i took it for oil change i asked them to check fog coming out of A/C which just started 2 days before i took for oil change. They found it has leaking heater core and are going to replace it. It's expense is about 1700$. But as it was just out of warranty so chevrolet has some program that covered most of it and i might have to pay 10-15% of it. But at that time they suggested buying extended warranty. They gave me quote for 100k miles and 6 additional years with 100$ deductible for 1873$. Name of company is "Premier Dealer Services" www.pdsadm.com

I have few questions:
1) Does anyone have experience with this company?
2) What other companies you have experience dealing with?
3) Are these things worth 2000$?
4) What other problems you guys have encountered with your cars mine is 2014 with 19k miles.

Also i am planning on adding MRT exhaust, Upgrading speakers, changing dashboard trim and door trim to match my car color (Yellow). What impact such things have on additional warranty.

Any suggestions are welcome to guide me in this process.
bindu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:46 AM   #2
sonic78z28

Drives: 1978 Z28 Camaro, 2014 Camaro 2LT RS
Coming from a guy that deals with aftermarket warranties all the time. What I would do is just take what that "extended warranty" price is and just put that much into a savings account. With all of the fine print they have in those contracts, only a few times have I had them actually cover what was wrong without any hassle. If you do decide you want to go with one, go with Ally. They are the easiest to deal with and work with GM directly.
2014 2LT RS
2016 1500 RALLY 2
sonic78z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Best way is to read the entire contract, then talk with the service advisors at your dealership to get their take on aftermarket warranties. They deal with them all on a daily basis and can give you a good indication of which one(if any) has a higher degree of paid repairs.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #4
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
I have Preferred Warranties as my aftermarket warranty company. I do not recommend them at all. They do what is cheap and convenient for them rather than what is in the customers best interest. Do a Google search of the company you plan on going with. Look for BBB rating. Wish I had done that first. Good luck!
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:17 PM   #5
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindu View Post
Hi,

My Camaro just ran out of warranty 2 weeks ago and last week when i took it for oil change i asked them to check fog coming out of A/C which just started 2 days before i took for oil change. They found it has leaking heater core and are going to replace it. It's expense is about 1700$. But as it was just out of warranty so chevrolet has some program that covered most of it and i might have to pay 10-15% of it. But at that time they suggested buying extended warranty. They gave me quote for 100k miles and 6 additional years with 100$ deductible for 1873$. Name of company is "Premier Dealer Services" www.pdsadm.com

I have few questions:
1) Does anyone have experience with this company?
2) What other companies you have experience dealing with?
3) Are these things worth 2000$?
4) What other problems you guys have encountered with your cars mine is 2014 with 19k miles.

Also i am planning on adding MRT exhaust, Upgrading speakers, changing dashboard trim and door trim to match my car color (Yellow). What impact such things have on additional warranty.

Any suggestions are welcome to guide me in this process.
1) Nope
2) None because they're not worth it
3) Absolutely not
4) I've replaced a burnt spark plug wire that was touching a header tube

These cars are overall very reliable. The cost of extended warranties are based on algorithms of average cost to repair the type of car, cost to advertise the warranties, cost to sell the warranty, and profit (this part accounts for approximately 60% of the cost).

Extended warranties are quite the racket. Occasionally someone will get lucky and get their money out of the warranty however, it is so minimal that the companies selling the warranties make out like bandits. If everyone who bought a warranty ended up getting their money's worth out of their warranties then the warranty companies would out of business in no time.

Also, anything not factory and not on the car at the time the warranty is issued will likely not be covered under warranty. Besides, like I said earlier these cars are really reliable with rare exception and shouldn't cost you a lot of maintenance costs. Save the $2,000 and use it to repair the car eventually.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:18 AM   #6
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
I would purchase the extended warranty from the dealer...Their cost is about the same that I paid for mine...Going without any warranty coverage is about like going with health or life insurance...Buying from the dealer you know what you're getting, doing a search and finding a random company is a toss up...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:51 AM   #7
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
1) Nope
3) Absolutely not

These cars are overall very reliable. The cost of extended warranties are based on algorithms of average cost to repair the type of car, cost to advertise the warranties, cost to sell the warranty, and profit (this part accounts for approximately 60% of the cost).

Extended warranties are quite the racket. Occasionally someone will get lucky and get their money out of the warranty however, it is so minimal that the companies selling the warranties make out like bandits. If everyone who bought a warranty ended up getting their money's worth out of their warranties then the warranty companies would out of business in no time.

Also, anything not factory and not on the car at the time the warranty is issued will likely not be covered under warranty. Besides, like I said earlier these cars are really reliable with rare exception and shouldn't cost you a lot of maintenance costs. Save the $2,000 and use it to repair the car eventually.

I had one on my Ridgeline, it was tossed in to make the deal for free... used, never. Had one tossed in for free on my wife's 4Runner... used, never.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #8
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
1) Nope
3) Absolutely not

Agree 100% ... IMO and with what I've learned as well as my own experience over the years, with rare exceptions, if you properly maintain your vehicle, the cost of any extended warranty will far exceed any repairs it would have covered over the life of the policy, if any are required at all.

Here's a couple links you might find interesting and helpful in making your decision:

http://www.consumerreports.org/exten...ensive-gamble/

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/articles...d-warranty-car

https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/life...ties-worth-it/

Old 04-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #9
jergarr

Drives: 11' RJT 2SS/RS L99
Extended warranty saved my butt on a 06 monte carlo ss i use to have. It started burning oil and they replaced the pistons and rings at first. Less than two weeks later the engine crapped out and they decided to put in a new engine all together. Was well worth the $1300 for the warranty. These cars are very reliable but when you are buying used theres always a chance you are getting an abused car.
Stainless Power Headers w/cats
Fluidampr 25% UDP
Cold Air Inductions Intake
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
ADM Trans Cooler
Some BMR Goodies
jergarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:16 PM   #10
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by jergarr View Post
... when you are buying used theres always a chance you are getting an abused car.
Agree with you completely. The amount you save in depreciation will more than offset the cost of the extended warranty, and the peace of mind is priceless when you have family that is dependent on reliable transportation or the ability to have repairs with minimal expense. You have to compare the costs and then balance your priorities.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #11
17SSfifty

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th 2012 TFE RS 2LT
This question has been on my mind lately. Is an extended warranty worth the money? I know they can save you in times of need but how often is the need vs the cost? Most of what I had to replace on my previous cars were brakes, tires and oil changes.

I bought my 2012 Camaro RS used but it only had 26k miles on it. Everything checked out with the car and it was in excellent condition. I thought about getting an extended warranty on it because I really don't know the full history of the car (carfax check was basic). Is it better just to deal with GM than aftermarket?
17SSfifty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, warranty