Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 10-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #15
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Diff warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
OP, first thing, sorry for your troubles, and hope everything is fixed successfully.

The 2.5 hours is definitely a red flag, assuming all he did was to change the oil and rear diff fluid.

But not sure how the rear diff pinion seal could have anything to do with the noises and CEL? When that seal starts leaking, you lose diff fluid obviously, but you shouldn't get any noises until the fluid is gone or almost gone. I'm not sure about how different the 1LE eLSD is from other rear diffs, but a leaking rear diff pinion seal is something that is typically repairable by just replacing the seal itself. I've never heard of the diff needing to be replaced, unless it ran for a long time with little or no fluid.

The other thing is I'm not sure how the tech could have screwed something up while changing the rear diff fluid, where the pinion seal would start leaking? The only thing I can think of is that he used the wrong fluid.

Since the car was trouble-free for 3000 miles, and you first noticed a noise the day after the service, prior to putting the car on the track, it's reasonable to assume the tech screwed it up somehow.

For those of us who don't know, is FL2K a drag strip?
Yea man that's what puzzled me too, I dont know how a pinion seal that was leaking for no more than a day could have wrecked a whole diff.

Them putting the wrong oil or amount was a concern of mine but unfortunately they don't let me in the back and hangout to observe what they do and check it out. I was also worried about what Dave-ROR with regards to the eLSD separate fluid chamber, there's room for error there. Not saying that's what happened for sure but it's definately suspect considering the timing and circumstances.

Fl2k is a drag and roll racing event. 3 days, car shows, burnouts, and a lot of the big youtubers like Cleetus McFarland draw a big crowd. Definately a fun time.

I'm stopping by today to get an update and make sure they checked everything else with regards to the TC system and brakes acting up, as well as the reduced power mode and CELs relation to the diff issue.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #16
RobbyBeefcake87

Diff warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
It's a drag racing event. There are 2k events in multiple states, TX2K is the biggest I think.

I was wondering if the tech drained the eLSD fluid (separate from the diff fluid) and didn't refill it.. would be stupid but.. :shrug:
I thought the same regarding the eLSD and was a bit of a concern before they serviced it, being that it's not the most common diff they regularly service.

It would be stupid, but stupid'er things have happened.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:17 AM   #17
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I thought the same regarding the eLSD and was a bit of a concern before they serviced it, being that it's not the most common diff they regularly service.

It would be stupid, but stupid'er things have happened.

The eLsd diff services no differently than a regular diff. The eLSD system is a separate fluid system and is not meant to be changed out or serviced as it doesnt get dirty. It is a hydraulic style fluid system, when the eLsd system all that fluid does it moves some pistons to modulate the clutches that ride in the regular diff fluid.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #18
RobbyBeefcake87

Diff warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
The eLsd diff services no differently than a regular diff. The eLSD system is a separate fluid system and is not meant to be changed out or serviced as it doesnt get dirty. It is a hydraulic style fluid system, when the eLsd system all that fluid does it moves some pistons to modulate the clutches that ride in the regular diff fluid.
Yea I learned about the separate fluid chamber from posts on this forum, and I would hope that the tech knew this as well. The time it took him and all the prodding was what made me skeptical... didn't know too much about exactly how the elsd worked, thanks.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:23 PM   #19
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
Al Op stated that the warranty on these cars are good even if you track them. As long as they remain completely stock. The guy at the dealership has no clue what he’s talking about. Every time I’ve went to the dealership I’ve told them that I track my car. They have no problem with it.
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #20
RobbyBeefcake87

Diff warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaphfireSS View Post
Al Op stated that the warranty on these cars are good even if you track them. As long as they remain completely stock. The guy at the dealership has no clue what he’s talking about. Every time I’ve went to the dealership I’ve told them that I track my car. They have no problem with it.
I got my car about 2 weeks ago now. I reminded them that it's a stock car with a track warranty and it will get tracked again, and not that I plan to break another part, but if it happens they're fixing it. After jokingly telling me to not drive it too hard the same service guy kind of scoffed reluctantly agreeing, the others agreed and said that was the point of getting a track car lol.

Tags
diff, e lsd, issues, lsd, warranty