Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-02-2023, 09:57 PM   #1
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
Disabel AFM with the OBD range or not? Debate

Hello,

I just got a 2023 LT1 A10 and I'm debating if I should buy the Range and stop the AFM from enabling or just live with the V4 mode...
Honestly it doesen't bother me, but I don't want to deal with warranty work and lifter failure...

Car has few miles now and I have the standard warranty for 60k / 5yrs.

Should I spend +$200 to try to avoid lifter issues in the short / mid term or since I have the warranty just use it if it fails...
I know long term they might fail, it's ok, pushrod engines have been killing lifters since the 1950's.

I know plugging the Range will interfere with GM's OnStar diagnose or whatever they do. I know they have a way to know what you have plugged, no doubt about that, the issue is if the warranty will be voided or they ignore it?
(Side note, I'm sure they have identified what the range does and have a flag about it. That's why Range keeps updating the software and if you don't you might get a CEL...It isn't a TUNE flag, but still, nobody will sue them about a flag in their database...)

I read some people got screwed by just installing a CAI, which makes sense, It's all good until it isn't...

Doing warranty work already... I spoke to the Chevy tech and asked him about the lifter issues and he said "We've seen a lot of issues in 5.3 V8's and mostly trucks, they haven't seen many 6.2's and Camaros with lifter failure...." He seems to think it is more related to maintenance / running them hard than actual parts failure..

Now statistically that is true since trucks are more popular than camaros...
Also manuals don't fail that much but are driven less miles in avg, most are weekend cars...and compared to autos the manual population is what 7-10%? So every 100 automatics with lifter failure you should see 10 manuals...
If a shop gets 20 camaros with lifter failure and 1 manual they will tell you, "manuals don't fail". What they see is true, but statistically also makes sense.

Whats your experience with disabling AFM? Has anyone disabled it and still had lifter failure?
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 10:08 PM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I wouldn't overthink the Range device like this. It's a dynamic OBD-II solution that makes no permanent change to the OEM calibration, leaving nothing behind, so no manufacturer has a case if they want to blame a failure on this, even if they have a record of you plugging something into the OBD-II port (which I highly doubt btw, as they'd have to capture, continuously keep track of and whitelist all 14565823 scan tools and bluetooth dongles... just not worth the effort).

In other words, I'd just buy the Range and use it as long as I want warranty coverage, then once I'm ready to take the plunge, upgrade the powertrain and get a proper tune.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 06:18 AM   #3
adamjwilson

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS A10
I have heard good things about the Range device and I would take arpad's advice... he is spot on.
When you are ready to do some internal work, just go DoD delete (sell the Range device), cam, pistons/rods....and Johnson lifters (too many documented LS7 lifter failures for me) OR do whatever your budget can afford and your end goals for your car.
Old 07-03-2023, 06:29 AM   #4
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
I installed my range unit before I left the dealer's lot

just get one
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 07:21 AM   #5
Dynamical

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 A10
I dont have an LT1 car (yet) but when I do, you can bet I'll be disabling the AFM/DOD (or whatever they call it these days) until I'm able to do a full delete of the whole system. I have a 2013 silverado with AFM with it disabled but I know with the hard parts still there it can still fail. I absolutely HATE what GM did to motors. This is why I'm still on the fence about buying something newer and debating if I should just get an LS3 vette.
As far as warranty goes, you're asking the wrong guy lol because as soon as I get my next toy, the mods will be happening. If I decide to take a chance with the LT1, a range will probably be the first thing I do.
Dynamical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 08:14 PM   #6
Kamero6

Thanks Guys, I will get one after my 5k 1st oil change, I'm now just debating between the real range or a amazon knockoff... Some say they work but I might still get the range.
Old 07-03-2023, 09:12 PM   #7
Kamero6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamical View Post
I dont have an LT1 car (yet) but when I do, you can bet I'll be disabling the AFM/DOD (or whatever they call it these days) until I'm able to do a full delete of the whole system. I have a 2013 silverado with AFM with it disabled but I know with the hard parts still there it can still fail. I absolutely HATE what GM did to motors. This is why I'm still on the fence about buying something newer and debating if I should just get an LS3 vette.
As far as warranty goes, you're asking the wrong guy lol because as soon as I get my next toy, the mods will be happening. If I decide to take a chance with the LT1, a range will probably be the first thing I do.
Miles on the Silverado? 5.3?
I would like mods too but I can't justify it. The LT1 is really fast and the 10 speed is insane how it shifts.
Old 07-04-2023, 08:49 AM   #8
Dynamical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamero6 View Post
Miles on the Silverado? 5.3?
I would like mods too but I can't justify it. The LT1 is really fast and the 10 speed is insane how it shifts.
I have about 101,000 mile on the truck. I have only owned it 3.5 years and put 5k miles on it. Its for when I need it in the snow or hauling stuff around in the bed. I have AFM programmed out via predator tuner. It was the first thing I bought after buying the truck.
Wish I never sold my old 4th gen Camaro SS. I'd have an LS3 in it by now

Oh and I wouldn't get a "knockoff" range. I wouldn't waste my time with that. Wouldn't want to chance it.
Old 07-04-2023, 10:03 AM   #9
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamero6 View Post
Thanks Guys, I will get one after my 5k 1st oil change, I'm now just debating between the real range or a amazon knockoff... Some say they work but I might still get the range.
there's only one choice, buy the legit range

c'mon man gen6's are not for the poors
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 06:22 PM   #10
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
If you get a LT1 and you should and your saying the mods will begin, Just go with a cam upgrade and lifters right away and remove anything that is V4 mode related.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 07:09 PM   #11
Dynamical

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
If you get a LT1 and you should and your saying the mods will begin, Just go with a cam upgrade and lifters right away and remove anything that is V4 mode related.
Hey!

My thinking has already crossed that old dusty road even back when I "thought" about getting a 5th gen. I REFUSE to have those lifters in any hot rod I will own. The truck doesn't count

As you can tell from my posts, I'm very uneasy about tossing my money at this newer junk

Still debating on an LS3 A6 Corvette or an LT1 Camaro. Actually I'd still consider a mint C5 or 4thgen Camaro (not LT1) also.

Having to delete the whole DOD crap as soon as I buy a car is a PITA when the good old proven LS3 I wouldn't have to dump money into that. Another plus of the LS3 is it's port injection

I would like to hear why you think I should get the LT1, just as long as you're not trying to sell me something
Old 07-05-2023, 07:34 PM   #12
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Hey!

My thinking has already crossed that old dusty road even back when I "thought" about getting a 5th gen. I REFUSE to have those lifters in any hot rod I will own. The truck doesn't count

As you can tell from my posts, I'm very uneasy about tossing my money at this newer junk

Still debating on an LS3 A6 Corvette or an LT1 Camaro. Actually I'd still consider a mint C5 or 4thgen Camaro (not LT1) also.

Having to delete the whole DOD crap as soon as I buy a car is a PITA when the good old proven LS3 I wouldn't have to dump money into that. Another plus of the LS3 is it's port injection

I would like to hear why you think I should get the LT1, just as long as you're not trying to sell me something
The 6th gen alpha chassis and the superb 10 speed auto transmission is light years better than a C5 corvette. I have had 1 C5, 2 C6s, 2 C7s. I do admit though a 2008 C6 LS7 is great stuff with a 6 speed auto trans.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 07:46 PM   #13
Dynamical

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
The 6th gen alpha chassis and the superb 10 speed auto transmission is light years better than a C5 corvette. I have had 1 C5, 2 C6s, 2 C7s. I do admit though a 2008 C6 LS7 is great stuff with a 6 speed auto trans.
Right, but I'm talking in terms of modding. The aftermarket support for a built 4L60 from RPM or FLT is amazing. I had a FLT in my 4th gen. Those trans can be built to hold good power. IMO the 10L80 is unproven. I know they been failing in trucks. They develop a whine and the idler gear fails.
How much support is there out there for build 10L80s? Not much and if there is, you bet it's expensive as shit. At the same time, the A6 can also be a headache! See my dilemma?!
Old 07-05-2023, 07:50 PM   #14
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Hey!

You will get a much more modern, exceptionally well engineered chassis with the 6th gen Camaro, it's miles ahead of any older gen Corvette or Camaro, not even in the same ballpark. Also, the Tremec TR-6060 is one of the best manual gearboxes in the world. Finally, though you may not care, the electronics and amenities (while definitely not BMW or Mercedes-Benz level) are an order of magnitude better in the 6th gen than in old Corvettes or Camaros.

Don't let a bunch of AFM lifters that can easily be replaced force you into a subpar overall package.

In fact, I would not buy an LT1 at all, now is the last chance to get these cars, so I'd either buy a 2SS 1LE or a ZL1 and plan to keep it long term. I understand the cost implications, but this time it isn't like you can just wait a few years to get into a better position financially and then pull the trigger, this is literally the last chance. I don't think you'll be excited by an EV "Camaro" SUV that is likely to come down the pipe.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
afm, range, warranty