Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #15
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
If only the Camaro or GM could be this innovative!
They did.....haven't you ever seen a SSR? it too had a motorized retractable hard top.

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 05-24-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #16
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
They did.....haven't you ever seen a SSR? it too had a motorized retractable hard top.

But no sports cars and I do not want a convertible. I had a 3000GT Spyder so been there back in the day. This is simple targa for a sports car
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
Very cool vid. I love hard tops. Not sure how they would do one on the camaro but I'm sure they could come up with something if they wanted to. And I'm sure they could make it affordable too.
Sure they could make one, and make it affordable. But then it would be very heavy. They could make it weigh less, but then it would cost more.

For comparison, a hard top convertible G6 added nearly 450 lbs to the car and costed an extra 6500 bucks. The soft top Camaro adds half that weight and costs about 5500 dollars. Now, the Camaro isn't a targa top like the cars in this thread, but thats a pretty substantial difference to me.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #18
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
From a pure engineering standpoint the Ferrari is not at all inovative. It's simply a single pivot rotating top the maintains the backlight in both the up and down positions after rotation.

Even more clever than the SSR is the Cadillac XLR top. I took that to an auto show when I had one of the CTF cars. Drew a crowd like you wouldn't believe simply putting the top up and down.

Thanks for sharing, OP, but not really a tecnical challenge there, especially with a mid engined car.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #19
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
From a pure engineering standpoint the Ferrari is not at all inovative. It's simply a single pivot rotating top the maintains the backlight in both the up and down positions after rotation.

Even more clever than the SSR is the Cadillac XLR top. I took that to an auto show when I had one of the CTF cars. Drew a crowd like you wouldn't believe simply putting the top up and down.

Thanks for sharing, OP, but not really a technical challenge there, especially with a mid engined car.
Although ... there is something to be said for simplicity in design. Afterall ... "Perfection of design is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away"

or ...

Keep It Simple, Stupid!
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #20
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

Thanks for sharing, OP, but not really a tecnical challenge there, especially with a mid engined car.
Many times innovation isn't about the engineering, but the application. Sometimes the simplest idea is the best one.

Biggest problem I see is, what if a bird poops on the underside of the roof? Flip that baby back up when it starts raining and you get poop on your head!
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #21
okyankee

Drives: 2010 SILVERADO
that ferrari is also a one off made for a guy out of ny that has a bunch of unique one off ferraris' and a bunch of old ones. i believe he is in real estate.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/19/f...f-villa-deste/

Last edited by okyankee; 05-24-2011 at 10:00 PM.
okyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #22
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Many times innovation isn't about the engineering, but the application. Sometimes the simplest idea is the best one.

Biggest problem I see is, what if a bird poops on the underside of the roof? Flip that baby back up when it starts raining and you get poop on your head!
LMAO
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #23
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Although ... there is something to be said for simplicity in design. Afterall ... "Perfection of design is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away"

or ...

Keep It Simple, Stupid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post

Totally agree, but that isn't how I took the OPs comment.