Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Automatic Turn Signals?

http://autos.aol.com/article/turn-si...usaolp00000058

I think all of us here have noticed that turn signal usage for lane changes is horrible. Either the driver doesn't use their turn signal at all - or they blink once or twice when they've already made it 33-50% over into the other lane. I was taught that turn signals for lane changes should used prior to the lane change to show my intent to change lane - not just a way of saying "Hey, I'm over here in your lane now."

This article talks about a "Smart Turn Signal" that would use sensors to "assist" the driver. Not sure what that means but I'm trying to figure out how a sensor would determine the intent to change lanes or make a turn. Maybe it's just going to be an annoying noise/beep like the seat belt warning after it thinks you changed lanes or made a sharp turn??

I'm not sure what else a car can do to assist stupid drivers.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Brake lights should be of variable brightness so that when your car slows down when your foot comes the accellerator they begin to glow and get brighter the harder you decelerate. Some kind of inertia sensor. Likewise when a certain amount of left or right input (or inertia) is happening a turn signal automatically comes on. How about when your car is speeding up a green light glows and the harder you accelerate the brighter it gets.

Consider this time and date stamped post my claim to this original idea.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp2LT View Post
http://autos.aol.com/article/turn-si...usaolp00000058

This article talks about a "Smart Turn Signal" that would use sensors to "assist" the driver. Not sure what that means but I'm trying to figure out how a sensor would determine the intent to change lanes or make a turn. Maybe it's just going to be an annoying noise/beep like the seat belt warning after it thinks you changed lanes or made a sharp turn??

I'm not sure what else a car can do to assist stupid drivers.
That is exactly what it would be.....as if you are using your turn signals PROPERLY, YOU indicate your intent to turn LONG BEFORE your cars sensors would kick in.....so what the Smart Turn Signal system would be doing, would be doing is "reminding you" with a chime or whatever when you FORGET to use it.....and would be an annoyance to most people, BUT because of that people would start using them all the time......and it would become a habit, just like putting your seat belt on when you get in your car. I personally thinks a fairly good idea.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
wocampb

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE BRM, '12 Cruze LT 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
Brake lights should be of variable brightness so that when your car slows down when your foot comes the accellerator they begin to glow and get brighter the harder you decelerate. Some kind of inertia sensor. Likewise when a certain amount of left or right input (or inertia) is happening a turn signal automatically comes on. How about when your car is speeding up a green light glows and the harder you accelerate the brighter it gets.

Consider this time and date stamped post my claim to this original idea.
If I remember right, either the previous generation or the current generation 5 Series has this feature. They actually get brighter the harder you press on the brake.
wocampb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Don't remember what manufacturer did this, but they were experimenting with brake lights that would strobe when panic braking.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Don't remember what manufacturer did this, but they were experimenting with brake lights that would strobe when panic braking.
ACTUALLY.......being a biker.....I've seen something very simialr, although its not for panic breaking, but there is a module I've seen installed, its plug-n-play, on bikes so that when you hit they brakes, they strobe 3 times then go solid. wouldn't be a bad idea on a car either.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I've seen cadillac's with that kind of brake light....not sure if it was aftermarket, though...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
That is exactly what it would be.....as if you are using your turn signals PROPERLY, YOU indicate your intent to turn LONG BEFORE your cars sensors would kick in.....so what the Smart Turn Signal system would be doing, would be doing is "reminding you" with a chime or whatever when you FORGET to use it.....and would be an annoyance to most people, BUT because of that people would start using them all the time......and it would become a habit, just like putting your seat belt on when you get in your car. I personally thinks a fairly good idea.
I'd prefer it if they got a mild to moderate electric shock ... its fairly easy to get used to a gentle little chime. But a zap from your seat to ... uh ... your seat? It would only have to happen a few times before you learn your lesson.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
OffseT
Maroboy2001 AKA Offset

Drives: Boosted Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
The third brake light on my buddys c6 vette does this, I was tripping out the first time I was behind him.