Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
Deltaskier

Drives: 1968 Camaro
Throwing an engine code

Is it normal for my car to give an engine code after installing CAI & headers? I know the comp needs time to recalibrate, but wasn't expecting the code. I unhooked the batt & it went away for a while but came back on.
Deltaskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Mike TexaSS

Drives: 454 LS7 Camaro SS
Sometimes you get o2 sensor codes after installing headers. You need tuning.
Mike TexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
But will tuning affect the warranty? Will the car run any better with the tuning or it will jest get rid of the diagnostic codes?
Old 07-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
well new headers are going to affect your warranty as well, unless its GMPP. But yeah headers will throw codes because if you get long tubes or short tubes the distance between the two sensors change and the readings are thrown off. So you will have to get a tune to change that. if you dont want to get a tune which without one you wont get the most out of your upgrades, to you could buy the cheap 50 dollar code reader and just delete the code.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by khislop007 View Post
But will tuning affect the warranty? Will the car run any better with the tuning or it will jest get rid of the diagnostic codes?
Both... but warranty is pretty much toast... Does that REALLY say Transformers on the side of your car??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
well new headers are going to affect your warranty as well, unless its GMPP. But yeah headers will throw codes because if you get long tubes or short tubes the distance between the two sensors change and the readings are thrown off. So you will have to get a tune to change that. if you dont want to get a tune which without one you wont get the most out of your upgrades, to you could buy the cheap 50 dollar code reader and just delete the code.
Short Tubes don't change sensor location... and I haven't heard of long tubes throwing codes, many people have installed w/o problem. And it's up to the dealer whether long tubes will affect your warranty,,, most likely not...
Old 07-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Both... but warranty is pretty much toast... Does that REALLY say Transformers on the side of your car??
Yeah it does but not my car........demo at the dealer.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by khislop007 View Post
Yeah it does but not my car........demo at the dealer.
Whew... LOL... you're back on the cool guy list again...
Old 07-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
nards444

headers wont necessarily void the motor warranty if you have a good dealer, but everything behind the header would be voided guarenteed CATS, exhaust assuming any of that is kept stock. But you start doing a lot of stuff, you can start to throw the warranty out the door. And with the LS1 long tube headers threw a code just about everytime. Guys either deleted the sensor or deleted the code.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
You should get a tune with your headers. You will gain at least 15-20 more horsepower and can get rid of the code then like everyone else has said most dealers won't say anything about that.

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #10
nards444

the thing is with a warranty they have to prove that part affected the problem, but at the same time you would have to prove it didnt if something were to arise
Old 07-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #11
LA_SilverRider
GM Tech

Drives: 2008 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

Short Tubes don't change sensor location... and I haven't heard of long tubes throwing codes, many people have installed w/o problem. And it's up to the dealer whether long tubes will affect your warranty,,, most likely not...
Long tubes create a lot of problems with O2's. There are usually harness extensions envolved, which creates that many points of terminal contact that changes circuit resistance. Then there is the distance that the O2's are moved to in the exhaust stream. Tuning is the only answer, and the tuner needs to know their stuff.

Our wonderful sales staff sent out a used C5 Convertible to one of the local known speed shops here for headers, catback, CAI, tune, etc. I've had to clear O2 codes out of it twice now, the first time I installed two new O2's and made sure the extensions were making proper contact. Someone test drove it a few weeks ago, the same thing, it sets "insufficient activity" codes if I remember correctly. The tuner needed to turn these codes off and didn't. Once the car is fully warmed up they read and respond fine. It's during those first few minutes of startup that the problems occur.
LA_SilverRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #12
Deltaskier

I wasn't really prepared to void my engine warranty just yet with a tune, but what the heck. It's just a toy. I have the Doug Thorley shorties & the new era CAI. I was hoping the car would adjust itself even if I didn't take full advantage of the gains possible.

Who knows of a tune shop in Houston?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #13
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Thanks LA_SilverRider for the first hand info.

Deltaskier... I'm suprised you threw codes with the Thorley shorties. Maybe your dealer will tune it out for you (for a fee of course). Hate to see you totally blow a warranty.

Also, give your PCM a few miles to learn the new airflow. There are lots of shops around here that will tune for you. LMR is having open house Aug 8th, Hennessey out I10 west, Fastlane on 1960. You are in the meca for Camaro tune shops here.

How bout some pics of those headers installed... or better yet Video/sound...
Old 07-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #14
Deltaskier

I installed them Saturday morning & have about 400 miles since. Sound is better, from inside at least. BUT, I don't really feel much of a difference "in the seat of my pants" as others have described after installing headers. Of course I didn't dyno it before or after so no real numbers. Hopefully I can get it tuned & dyno'd soon since baseline should be somewhat similar in all 2SS M6's.

No video camera & only an Iphone for a camera so don't hold your breath. Sorry.