Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #99
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkySS View Post
Okay maybe I missed reading it but do your front pads have the roller skates Revs?
Hey Arky, that's a dealer fix right? All I have on them is the factory (and much discussed) weights...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #100
jimmyh

Drives: 2011 1LT => 2010 2SS
I just found this old thread, as I am having what I think is brake squeal. Not 100% sure though. I have about 5000 miles.

In anticipation of getting some 18" wheels for winter use, I cut the rollerskates off my front pads. That was several weeks ago. Just recently, I noticed after driving about 10 minutes or so on hot days (85º+) I will start hearing a steady chirping while cruising. It sounds very similar to brake pads that are down to the wear indicators. As soon as I apply the brakes, soft, moderate or hard, it stops. When I let off the brakes it comes back after a few seconds. Also, if I turn, even slightly, to the left, the sound stops. And resumes when I straighten out. Turning right, the sound remains.

If it is not as hot, below 85º or so, the sound is not present. So, I pulled the front pads, and applied some Disk Brake Quiet. I just have to wait for another hot day to see if the noise returns.

Again, I get the noise when cruising, NOT when braking. Anyone else experience this? Maybe it's not the brakes, but something in the suspension? Maybe even the tires? I will report back.
jimmyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #101
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyh View Post
I just found this old thread, as I am having what I think is brake squeal. Not 100% sure though. I have about 5000 miles.

In anticipation of getting some 18" wheels for winter use, I cut the rollerskates off my front pads. That was several weeks ago. Just recently, I noticed after driving about 10 minutes or so on hot days (85º+) I will start hearing a steady chirping while cruising. It sounds very similar to brake pads that are down to the wear indicators. As soon as I apply the brakes, soft, moderate or hard, it stops. When I let off the brakes it comes back after a few seconds. Also, if I turn, even slightly, to the left, the sound stops. And resumes when I straighten out. Turning right, the sound remains.

If it is not as hot, below 85º or so, the sound is not present. So, I pulled the front pads, and applied some Disk Brake Quiet. I just have to wait for another hot day to see if the noise returns.

Again, I get the noise when cruising, NOT when braking. Anyone else experience this? Maybe it's not the brakes, but something in the suspension? Maybe even the tires? I will report back.

Shoulda just got a set of cheapies from Autozone dude.

A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Old 06-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #102
jimmyh

um, ya, I could have. If I want to settle for inferior braking performance.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #103
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyh View Post
um, ya, I could have. If I want to settle for inferior braking performance.
Or you could just hack up your car. You can't just start sawin off parts and then be suprised when they don't work as intended.

Hawk makes some good pads without the skates. Just saying.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #104
techinny

Drives: '18 Sierra Denali '05 GMC 2500HD
I bought my car used so who knows how it was driven before I got it. Yesterday was the first time my brakes squealed, but I do not hot rod my car, yet. It only sqealed once so it has not become an issue yet. I will say that the brakes on this car are incredible, very little pressure on the pedal and I am really slowing down in a hurry. I am used to driving pick up trucks so this is new to me as far as how well they work on the camaro. I agree with others that we spend this much money for squealing brakes, kind of irritating.

Had: 2010 SS/RS M6 Hurst STS, Noweeds
techinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #105
USIRON

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS & 2014 Mustang GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Ram2500Hemi View Post
At least they are trying with you. After putting the pads on mine they started to squeal again, so their solution was to drive another 5,000 miles and then bring the car in to have them clean the pads. I've got a road trip this weekend that will test the pads, and if they keep squealing I'm going to have some serious issues with the dealership.
This issue has me puzzled. 24500 mi on my 2010 2ss / rs original brake pads and never a sound from time of delivery to today. I have talked to a good number of Camaro owners and no one has ever talked about brake noise. Granted I drive sedate compaired to others here. Being on the Fl coast the biggest hill in the area is the bridge going over the Intercoastal waterway on the way to the beach. I know you will be using the Brembos hard on your trip any time you get out of town and not on I-90. (lived in Bearmouth Mt for 3 yr) As others have said the pads, rotors, or both are most likely glazing from the heat. But that said I had a brake noise problem on a 93 Chev 3500 4x4 I purchased new. Ultimately Chevy replaced pads and both front rotors, no more noise. I have had luck spraying the contact area between the pad and rotor with brake clean to stop noise on motorcycle brakes, cleans out the dust. Best of luck, I miss Mt. but not the winters.
USIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #106
gruntermcbride

Drives: 2011 2SS Camaro
I bought a 2011 SS used at 11k miles - it has always squeeled on slow stops - easily noticable in stop and go traffic on my commute to/from work.

the dealer told me the same thing - they get a glaze and i just need to give it a hard break on occasion to burn it off.

however, i've had no luck with this and clench my teeth every day i'm in traffic, then haul ass the second i get on the highway and smile again.
gruntermcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #107
jimmyh

I chopped the weights off my brake pads, and during the summer, there is a soft constant chirping while cruising. I can only hear it with the windows down and the radio off so I have just learned to live with it. The funny thing is, they have yet to ever squeal while the brakes are applied. Only when cruising at a steady speed.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #108
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
I don't understand why all of you are confused by why these brakes squeal. Then again most of you don't understand why. These are high performance, solid mounted calipers. It there nature, if you don't like it trade the car in. In fact, never buy a performance car because your will never be satisfied.....

Ok, rant over time to be helpful. Ok, these brake squeal because of vibration. For all of you who are taking your cars to the dealer, you cant just replace the brake components and expect the vibrations to magically disappear. What you need is some brake lubrication. Get some of this stuff. Completely clean your brakes and then apply this to all areas where your break components contact each other. I have been running this for about 5k miles and have had zero brake squeal.

Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #109
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
I don't understand why all of you are confused by why these brakes squeal. Then again most of you don't understand why. These are high performance, solid mounted calipers. It there nature, if you don't like it trade the car in. In fact, never buy a performance car because your will never be satisfied.....

Ok, rant over time to be helpful. Ok, these brake squeal because of vibration. For all of you who are taking your cars to the dealer, you cant just replace the brake components and expect the vibrations to magically disappear. What you need is some brake lubrication. Get some of this stuff. Completely clean your brakes and then apply this to all areas where your break components contact each other. I have been running this for about 5k miles and have had zero brake squeal.

Very helpful info indeed. You have to remember though that not all of us have the garage space to put our cars up on jacks and take the wheels off, let alone disassemble the brake calipers. We have to find a shop to take our cars into, and then get charged 4 hours of labor + parts.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #110
mkschmidtjr
2K11 2SS w/RS Jewel Red

Drives: 2K11 2SS w/RS package Jewel Red
hello everyone on this thread....my 2011 2SS/RS brakes has been squeaking for a while. I currently have 22k miles on the car and have taken it to the dealer with a result of no problem found. I have been reading up on the Brembo brakes and it appears that we should have bedded the brakes in.

My question to the group, could I bed the brakes in at 22k miles or is it too late? Also the bulletin that 04Ram2500Hemi posted is great but appears for 2k10 Camaros with weights. I looked at my front brakes and did not see the weights but did see the roll skates rollers on them. I also looked at my rotors.

Side note others have mentioned just drive backwards and hit the brakes hard to clear the dust.

Any advice that would be greatly appreciated.
mkschmidtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #111
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
This works better and won't burn off, but it doesn't last as long. No need to take apart brembos to R&R pads. They slide right out. Do each pad one at a time and all you need is a center punch (or something to punch out the pins) and a large flat head screwdriver to slightly pry the pad away from the rotor. Then coat the pistons/shims/backing plates with this stuff and no more squeaks. If your bottle doesn't come with a brush in the cap, you can use an acid brush or small paint brush.

I used to swap between track pads and street pads for track days in the morning before tech. It's really easy with brembos and takes about 15 minutes per corner.
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote