Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
izwar

Drives: Silver
Who's going to wait for the SS

After the car comes out in early 09 who is going to wait lets say another year or 6 months for them to release the true monster which lets just say it would be a 550 HP supercharged LS3. Personally i want those specs more then anything and i dont know if i can settle for a 400 HP LS2 but waiting another year or 6 months would be crazy. Any chance GM lets out a monster engine off the bat i dont know
izwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I'm hoping for it in the vert since I'm waiting for the vert already anyways.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
Dark Knight
Does it come in BLACK?

Drives: 2001 FIREBIRD (for now!!)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dark Knight
I probably will depending on the specs and price. i plan on keeping this car for a LONG LONG time so i mine as well save my money as much as i can and get the best GM has to offer.

Good things come to those who wait
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
Stig

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by izwar View Post
After the car comes out in early 09 who is going to wait lets say another year or 6 months for them to release the true monster which lets just say it would be a 550 HP supercharged LS3. Personally i want those specs more then anything and i dont know if i can settle for a 400 HP LS2 but waiting another year or 6 months would be crazy. Any chance GM lets out a monster engine off the bat i dont know
Hey man, Im not sure if you have heard about a few things. But first off.

Whos to say the SS will be the Top rated Camaro. It might be the Z/28....They are not going to follow the way it was in the 4th gen, thats for sure.

Secondly, the LS2 is going out of production in 2008, so there is no possible way to use that engine. That leaves the Camaro with 2 possible V8 choices in my opinion.

The L76, with 362 HP
and
The LS3, with 430 hp

Personally I hope its the LS3 obviously, but who knows, we will see.

And lastly, it will be 12 to 18 months before a HI-PO version or the 'Vert is released, not 6 months. Just an FYI. However, I do agree with you that it will be a 500-550 hp, S/C LS3
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

I thought the LS3 was too high compression to reliably put a s/c on it. That's what the LSX is for. Anyways, I don't think he meant SS specifically, but he's one of the people who think the SS will be on top. If you had posted, you probably would have posted "who's gonna wait for the Z28". Since no one knows what the top model will be, I normally just assume that when peoplle say Z28 or SS, they mean the top dawg. Both are easier to type then Top Dawg as it's two words and I'm normally lazy about typing.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
I thought the LS3 was too high compression to reliably put a s/c on it. That's what the LSX is for. Anyways, I don't think he meant SS specifically, but he's one of the people who think the SS will be on top. If you had posted, you probably would have posted "who's gonna wait for the Z28". Since no one knows what the top model will be, I normally just assume that when peoplle say Z28 or SS, they mean the top dawg. Both are easier to type then Top Dawg as it's two words and I'm normally lazy about typing.
I was thinking the opposite on the LS3, isn't the LS3 is going to be the starting point for the supercharged '09 ultra vette?

But anyway, I agree with what you're saying on what izwar meant when he named the thread. "After the car comes out in early 09 who is going to wait lets say another year or 6 months for them to release the true monster which lets just say it would be a 550 HP supercharged LS3. Personally i want those specs more then anything and i dont know if i can settle for a 400 HP LS2 but waiting another year or 6 months would be crazy. Any chance GM lets out a monster engine off the bat i dont know
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Everything I'm about to say is in referance to the 1998-2002 Camaro's so bear with me .

Personally, I'm one of "those people" who think the SS will be the Top dog...but I'm also a traitor to "those people" cause I really don't believe they'll put 550hp into a main-stream Camaro. Maybe into an IROC, Yenko, or some other special edition Camaro. I think it'll differ like the last 4th gens did, by a small number of horses...maybe in this generation ~50-75.

Mindz, I think you might have the LS3 and the LS7 mixed up about their compression. It was the LS7 that wasn't a good idea to pop FI onto it. The LS3, last time I heard, was designed with thicker Cyllinder walls, so as to withstand extra boost, and power...

The LS9 is just a Supercharged LS3 with strengthened innards. In essence it's the same engine, but really it's not - so they named it differently. I've also heard it called LSA(don't know about that one)

Scott Settlemire has said that the LS2 will not be going into the Camaro. And if you think about it, he didn't even need to tell us: There's no GTO (anymore), The Vette get's the LS3, so what is the LS2 supposed to go into? Is GM gonna skip a model year and then pop it back into the Camaro? I don't think so.

And I like that about the Top-Dog being a Z28 OR an SS. It's true, nobody knows. In fact - Nobody even knows if they are going to offer either, let alone both.

Oh....and I found this...http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/15/a...tible-concept/

Quote:
...Both Smith and Jones have said they are fighting to keep the production car true to the concept. Even better, they alluded to modifications that they say "could make the car even better." Everyone we talked to also spoke of working with the accessories department and promising great aftermarket stuff. The coupe arrives in 2009, the convertible "within a year after that."...

Last edited by Mr. Wyndham; 08-23-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:47 AM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I'm holding out to see what's offered. A big factor in all of this will be $$$$$
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:26 AM   #9
Dark Knight
Does it come in BLACK?

Drives: 2001 FIREBIRD (for now!!)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dark Knight
if the TOP DAWG is around 40k or something then i will highly consider it depending on how much i have saved at that time. but i'm in no hurry cause i don't see the camaro ending up like the GTO as far as production time goes.the more money i have saved the better car i can get.

Good things come to those who wait
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:13 PM   #10
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
I will not wait. I will special order mine as soon as the let me. And if the motor does not have the HP that I think it should I will just have to put another 5-6grand under the hood.

I will make my own SS
Old 08-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #11
izwar

Drives: Silver
im not waiting for the convertible i want the coupe and yes i dont know which will be the top z28 or SS it was just what ever came to mind first but my guess would be 1 year after the first coup's are released they will release the TOP DOG hopefully sooner but who knows.
430 LS3 V8 would be good though for the top end v8
izwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #12
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

We're expecting that for the base v8.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #13
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
I'd lay dollars-to-donuts that the base V8 is going to be the same L76 that is used the G8.

If I were to guess (again) I'd say that the engine options will play out like this:

Base V6 - NA 3.0L V6 (258hp)
Optional V6 - Direct Injection 3.0L V6 (304hp)

Base V8 - L76 V8 (358hp)
Optional V8 - NA LS3 (450hp)

I think the supercharged LS3 is just going to be too expensive...

But yes, I AM going to wait for the SS.

~LSX
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:27 PM   #14
ChevyLee
SS Chevy

Drives: Chevy Cheyenne Truck
today i read about the new and up coming cars. they said the camaro will have a few v6's and v8's to chose from. and in the early 2010 when the vert is offerd they should have the high horse SS out too..

i hope its sooner then that but yes im waiting
ChevyLee is offline   Reply With Quote