Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 02-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Tune time, maybe

This is important. I'm looking for those with the LS3, minimal bolt-ons, and went with a tune. Was the difference worth, risk warranty denial, and the $400+ (HPTuners standard with tunes, ot SCT with tunes).

Some things to note.

Daily driver with 30K+ miles already.
Car has already dynoed 403hp and 401tq (different intake than I have now)
I only have a Vararam, SOLO cats, and VMax TB.
A snap shot of LTFTs B1/B2 look like this:
Idle +3.1/+5.4
Cruise +3.1/+1.5
WOT 0/-1.5

I already know that on the L99, a lot of changes can be made that you see right away. Just not sure the LS3 is worth it.

LS3 guys, what say ye?

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
This is important. I'm looking for those with the LS3, minimal bolt-ons, and went with a tune. Was the difference worth, risk warranty denial, and the $400+ (HPTuners standard with tunes, ot SCT with tunes).

Some things to note.

Daily driver with 30K+ miles already.
Car has already dynoed 403hp and 401tq (different intake than I have now)
I only have a Vararam, SOLO cats, and VMax TB.
A snap shot of LTFTs B1/B2 look like this:
Idle +3.1/+5.4
Cruise +3.1/+1.5
WOT 0/-1.5

I already know that on the L99, a lot of changes can be made that you see right away. Just not sure the LS3 is worth it.

LS3 guys, what say ye?
Advantages of a Tune

Reduced Torque management
Skip Shift elimination
Lower Fan Settings
Raised Rev limiter
Raised speed limiter
Optimized Timing maps for Octane available
Optimized fueling for WOT
Optimized MAF Curve for CAI in place
Code elimination for exhaust changes.

I hope this Helps, You are at same risk for warranty with current parts list as a Tune.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Advantages of a Tune

Reduced Torque management
Skip Shift elimination
Lower Fan Settings
Raised Rev limiter
Raised speed limiter
Optimized Timing maps for Octane available
Optimized fueling for WOT
Optimized MAF Curve for CAI in place
Code elimination for exhaust changes.

I hope this Helps, You are at same risk for warranty with current parts list as a Tune.

Ted.
Thanks

My dealership is ok with the current mod list, but said if things were bad enough that the flash counter in the tune has to be verified, it may be a different story. That seems like a fair answer though.

So the items above in bold make enough difference that you can "feel" it on a nearly stock LS3?

Thanks.

She is only memory now.

Last edited by IndeedSS1; 02-06-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
sschevybear11

Drives: 2011 Black 1SS
I have LT's, no cats and roto-fab. I drove the car a few times with exhaust and stock intake, noticeable torque increase and WOT. Ted sent me a tune and loaded it and installed intake, drove the car and its a totally different animal. Smother, crisper throttle, nice clean take off and easier to modulate clutch, pulls and screams like a banshee at WOT. Hard to really explain the car, its just more edgy when driven hard but more fun driven like stock.
Now: Coated Dynatech LT's/!Cats/Hurst Shifter/Roto-fab/SLP SS badges/JRE 415HP Tune, Scoop & Washer Relocation Bottle,Hurst Stunner 20X9 Wheels, Moroso Catch Can, ASP pulley, Magnaflow X-pipe, GTO remote clutch reservoir
1989 Silver 5.0 Mustang LX Coupe
1999 Pewter Tahoe LT
2011 Blue Camry SE
sschevybear11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschevybear11 View Post
I have LT's, no cats and roto-fab. I drove the car a few times with exhaust and stock intake, noticeable torque increase and WOT. Ted sent me a tune and loaded it and installed intake, drove the car and its a totally different animal. Smother, crisper throttle, nice clean take off and easier to modulate clutch, pulls and screams like a banshee at WOT. Hard to really explain the car, its just more edgy when driven hard but more fun driven like stock.
While LT's and no cats puts your car in a different spot than mine as to how much a tune is needed, I appreciate your take. The things you felt like you gained are things that would make tuning worth it to me. I have no complaints with what you listed, but it's the what if it could be even better that has me intrigued.

I've had a hard time getting someone in the biz, that I trust, to come out and say, absolutely you will be able to feel the difference afterwards. I did have one tuner offer to tune my car first and let me decide if it is worth it That may be his way of saying yes without saying yes. The thing is, once it's tuned it's tuned and there is no turning back. I'd hate to mess with the ECM and then wind up saying "That's it".

Thanks for your response. Either I've applied too many filters for replies or put it in the wrong section.

She is only memory now.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
While LT's and no cats puts your car in a different spot than mine as to how much a tune is needed, I appreciate your take. The things you felt like you gained are things that would make tuning worth it to me. I have no complaints with what you listed, but it's the what if it could be even better that has me intrigued.

I've had a hard time getting someone in the biz, that I trust, to come out and say, absolutely you will be able to feel the difference afterwards. I did have one tuner offer to tune my car first and let me decide if it is worth it That may be his way of saying yes without saying yes. The thing is, once it's tuned it's tuned and there is no turning back. I'd hate to mess with the ECM and then wind up saying "That's it".

Thanks for your response. Either I've applied too many filters for replies or put it in the wrong section.
It Really Depends on A, how High you set your expectations, and B, How well you currently Know your Car.

Yes you Will Feel a difference, That difference depends on A and B.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
It Really Depends on A, how High you set your expectations, and B, How well you currently Know your Car.

Yes you Will Feel a difference, That difference depends on A and B.

Ted.
This answer is a really good one.

If a tune give as much as the SOLO cats, Vararam, or VMax did for the money then great as those exceeded expectations. A couple of highly touted things fell way short, even when taking money out of the equation. So based on what I'd expect for messing with the flash counter verification and cost, expections are mid to high, but certainly not unreasonable.

I know my car really well. It's a 20k mile a year daily driver that I rarely run the radio as it interferes with the senses.

She is only memory now.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
Steck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 twin turbo Corvette Z06
I personally don't notice a difference, but I'm used to 900+ whp stuff. However, I have customers tell me all the time that a tune on their bolt-on car was worth it and they feel the difference. Will you feel it? Nobody knows for sure. Feeling something is too subjective. Can you measure a difference? With a dyno, yes. Will you notice that difference? That's the burning question.
Steck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steck@Craven View Post
I personally don't notice a difference, but I'm used to 900+ whp stuff. However, I have customers tell me all the time that a tune on their bolt-on car was worth it and they feel the difference. Will you feel it? Nobody knows for sure. Feeling something is too subjective. Can you measure a difference? With a dyno, yes. Will you notice that difference? That's the burning question.
This is a good perspective to the situation as well, and describes exactly why it's so difficult to choose. If I had the L99, the choice would be easy.

She is only memory now.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
sschevybear11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steck@Craven View Post
For real? My bolt-on car was like a transformation.
Now: Coated Dynatech LT's/!Cats/Hurst Shifter/Roto-fab/SLP SS badges/JRE 415HP Tune, Scoop & Washer Relocation Bottle,Hurst Stunner 20X9 Wheels, Moroso Catch Can, ASP pulley, Magnaflow X-pipe, GTO remote clutch reservoir
1999 Pewter Tahoe LT
2011 Blue Camry SE
Old 02-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Steck
Account Suspended

It varies from person to person and what they're used to. Some people think a stock Camaro is obnoxiously fast. Others think a stock Camaro is incredibly boring. The performance change people notice is not going to be a universal number.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
IndeedSS1

I can see both sides guys.

She is only memory now.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
sschevybear11

True, my car ran 12.7 pretty easy but didn't really "feel" fast. Now it does!
1999 Pewter Tahoe LT
2011 Blue Camry SE
Old 02-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
Steck
Account Suspended

I'd tune a M6 car just to get rid of ship shift.