Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Extended Warranty - What will void it?

I just purchased my Camaro on Saturday!

2013 1LS in black. I opted for the exteded warranty of 7years/100K miles for bumper to bumper coverage w/ roadside assitance etc. It was $1795. Not a bad deal and built into my loan.

However, I have had some second thoughts on this over the last day an a half. I have 60 days to cancel/void this warranty and wanted to get some feedback.

My initial changes were going to be new rims/tires, exhaust, and CAI. My question is, does adding a new exhaust and CAI void out the warranty? Not only the mft 3/36K but my extended warranty? I am trying to figure out what mods would void my warranty, so I can cancel the extended warranty if I am just going to be void with it anyway?

Any clear consice help with this would be much appreciated. My gut is telling me to just cancel this extended warranty, save the $30/month, but it is definitely a good "peace of mind" for things like window controls etc going out.

Thoughts/help?

Awesome forum and look forward to learning a lot from you all! Pics and profile updates to come!
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Jose

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS White S/C
Don't even think about cancelling it. I purchased my car and I still regreat not having purchased it, it just gives me certain feeling of security. I had a 1999 GMC Jimmy with the extended warranty, and believe me, it covered the transmission damage, it was around $2,000.00 it was 100% covered.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Don't even think about cancelling it. I purchased my car and I still regreat not having purchased it, it just gives me certain feeling of security. I had a 1999 GMC Jimmy with the extended warranty, and believe me, it covered the transmission damage, it was around $2,000.00 it was 100% covered.
Really? So you didn't buy it with your Camaro? I am just getting "buyers remorse" with it, and more concerned that mods that I may do will end up voiding it anyway. Is that not the case?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
slomaro3.4

Drives: SS/RS L99 Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS View Post
Really? So you didn't buy it with your Camaro? I am just getting "buyers remorse" with it, and more concerned that mods that I may do will end up voiding it anyway. Is that not the case?
I believe the extended is still covered under the magnussan(spelled wrong I'm sure) morris act. It has been discussed at length here, basically so long as you don't get a tune, your powertrain should be fine.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
How long do you plan on keeping the Camaro? And how many miles per year (when will the extended start in other words)? And what is the deductible - probably $50-$100?

So far the Camaro has a pretty good track record & there are some members that have higher mileage that are still doing OK. Some the heavy mod ones have taken a hit or two but you don't have to worry about that based on your list. IMHO you'd be better off taking the $1800 and putting it away in the bank.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
slomaro3.4

Drives: SS/RS L99 Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp2LT View Post
How long do you plan on keeping the Camaro? And how many miles per year (when will the extended start in other words)? And what is the deductible - probably $50-$100?

So far the Camaro has a pretty good track record & there are some members that have higher mileage that are still doing OK. Some the heavy mod ones have taken a hit or two but you don't have to worry about that based on your list. IMHO you'd be better off taking the $1800 and putting it away in the bank.
I got the warranty myself for 4 years/48k (mine was used) and it is a nice piece of mind I have zero regrets, since the OPs car is new he does have the full 5 year/100k powertrain which should cover anything major. I guess this all depends on your habits.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomaro3.4 View Post
I believe the extended is still covered under the magnussan(spelled wrong I'm sure) morris act. It has been discussed at length here, basically so long as you don't get a tune, your powertrain should be fine.

Probably very stupid, but bare with me. When you say "tune" is that something above and beyond exhaust/CAI additional mods? This is specific to the engine itself, right? Making modifications to the basic characteristics of the engine?

I want to keep it for peace of mind, but if its an added expense I could never use anyway I need to dump it during my 30 day window I have for cancelling. Lighting, body kit etc all wouldn't void it I'd assume?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
KSX

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
It all depends on where you go and the extent of your mods .. One of the guys around my area is a world class tech for camaro's / vette's and he does all the work on my vehicle and nothing he's done voided the warranty .. LT Headers, Catback Exhaust, 3.91 gears, etc.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomaro3.4 View Post

it's more than just a tune. most customizations that effect the motor are going to void it. headers, cam, etc. that act mostly protects you from being forced to have maintenance and repairs done at the dealer or risk voiding the warranty.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Quote:
Probably very stupid, but bare with me. When you say "tune" is that something above and beyond exhaust/CAI additional mods? This is specific to the engine itself, right? Making modifications to the basic characteristics of the engine?

I want to keep it for peace of mind, but if its an added expense I could never use anyway I need to dump it during my 30 day window I have for cancelling. Lighting, body kit etc all wouldn't void it I'd assume?
Tune is changing the computer programming. Once you do this then the warranty is pretty much out the window. CAI & exhaust only effect the CAI and exhaust. Body kit would not. What lighting are you talking about? Headlights? The only thing I would worry about there is making sure you tap the correct wires. But still should not effect your warranty (other than headlights).
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:

That is sort of what I was thinking. It will be my DD, and I will put on the normal 10-12K/year in milage. I plan on having it for a long time, and slowly doing things along the way. A labor of love.

After the 3 year/36K GM mine kicks in with a $100 deductible. I have heard some horror stories through friends on shit going wrong with their new cars and they wish they had gotten the warranty, but others go on just fine. I don't plan on doing heavy mods, just some basic things, and mostly cosmetic after that.

Extended was 7 years/100K miles
Old 04-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
FunkedOut

Drives: Black 2010 SS
assumming you bought the Major Guard, here's the info you need to make the call, straight from GM
Component Coverage

Covered Parts

It's as simple as this: If it's not on the very short list of what's not covered, it's covered!
For years, millions of Major Guard customers have known that, "From the engine to the trunk lock, if a part breaks - even if it results from wear and tear * - and it's not on the list of the few items not covered, Major Guard will pay for the repair less any applicable deductible - whatever the part!"

Non-Covered Parts
Sheet metal
Body parts, panels and rails
Bumpers
Chassis frame
Cross members
Hinges
Trim, moldings, and bright metal
Paint
Rust damage
Convertible and vinyl tops
Weather-strips
Carpet and upholstery
Exhaust component and catalytic converter
Tires
Glass
Lenses
Sealed Beams
Light Bulbs
Batteries
Brake drums
Shock absorbers
Squeaks , rattles, wind noise and odors
Correction of air and water leaks

Unless required in connection with a covered part we will not pay for: engine tune-up, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubricants, engine coolant, drive belts, radiator hoses, heater and vacuum hoses, windshield wiper blades, air conditioning recharging, fluids, spark/glow plugs and wires, brake pads/linings and brake shoes/rotors, manual clutch disc, vehicle manufacturer recommended maintenance services and parts.

Every other part is covered!
funny how that "bumper-to-bumper" doesn't cover the bumpers.
FunkedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Tune is changing the computer programming. Once you do this then the warranty is pretty much out the window. CAI & exhaust only effect the CAI and exhaust. Body kit would not. What lighting are you talking about? Headlights? The only thing I would worry about there is making sure you tap the correct wires. But still should not effect your warranty (other than headlights).
Yeah I was looking at adding the Halo lights, but if I understand correctly those are in addition to my normal headlights, correct? No crazy colors, just white.

I don't plan on changing any computer programming, I just want to add a few more HP where I can, so was thinking exhaust and CAI would help with that, and then cosmetic upgrades with halo lights, body kit, maybe lowering it a little, new rims/tires.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
You wasted a year by buying it now + over paid. Cancel it and buy it from Becky before your 1st year is up or within the 1st 12K miles. As long as you buy it anytime within the 1st year and within 12K miles the price does not go up but in your case you'll get it cheaper buying from Becky.

I never understand why people by this at contract time as you loss a full year as it overlaps the standard warranty.

Tags
1ls, warranty