Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
Bildo

 
Bildo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 1,427
Oil pickup tube bolt specs.

So I finished shimming my windage tray and went to torque the pickup tube to the oil pump (Melling 10296 that is now ruined as well). I set my torque wrench to 18 ft/lbs but somehow still snapped the head off the bolt GM part #11516521 . Does anyone happen to know the specs on this bolt (size, thread pitch, ect.) trying to get one but no dealerships have any in town. I ordered one that should take two weeks to get here but I want to button up my oil pan this weekend, and am hoping someone knows or can find the specs so I can get a replacement at the hardware store.
Bildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:14 PM   #2
hammdo
'It's an experiment'
 
hammdo's Avatar
 
Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 L99 LSA SC Z/LE
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 5,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bildo View Post
So I finished shimming my windage tray and went to torque the pickup tube to the oil pump (Melling 10296 that is now ruined as well). I set my torque wrench to 18 ft/lbs but somehow still snapped the head off the bolt GM part #11516521 . Does anyone happen to know the specs on this bolt (size, thread pitch, ect.) trying to get one but no dealerships have any in town. I ordered one that should take two weeks to get here but I want to button up my oil pan this weekend, and am hoping someone knows or can find the specs so I can get a replacement at the hardware store.
If the head on the bolt says 8.8 it's a metric M6 1.0

I would think searching by part number will help you locate the specs

Like M6 1.0 30 mm

Lengths are in MM

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
JD555
 
JD555's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 208
Did you try extracting it? I don't know what kind of clearance you have if you can drill and use an extractor.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #4
JerTM

 
JerTM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,391
106 lb in for the pickup tube bolt.
18 lb ft for the oil pump mounting bolts.

You should be able to extract the remainder of the pickup tube bolt now the head is broken off and the tension has been removed. Take a sharp pointed pick and try to back it out.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezima View Post
(exaggerated example) omg they said my car is slow cause its a v6 isn't this surreal

followed by empathetic but also some genuine comments but mostly nut sucking the v6 owner
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:24 PM   #5
Bildo

 
Bildo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
106 lb in for the pickup tube bolt.
18 lb ft for the oil pump mounting bolts.

You should be able to extract the remainder of the pickup tube bolt now the head is broken off and the tension has been removed. Take a sharp pointed pick and try to back it out.
Yeah I couldn't believe it broke so easily, thanks for the heads up. This was on my new build on the stand so I pulled the pump, tried drilling and extracting, ended up just chewing up the entire hole, ordered a new melling should be here tomorrow. Also got one of the dealerships to get me a bolt overnight.
Bildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
JerTM

 
JerTM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bildo View Post
Yeah I couldn't believe it broke so easily, thanks for the heads up. This was on my new build on the stand so I pulled the pump, tried drilling and extracting, ended up just chewing up the entire hole, ordered a new melling should be here tomorrow. Also got one of the dealerships to get me a bolt overnight.
lol, yeah it's a tiny bolt. I've seen a lot of misread torque specs wreck bolts.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezima View Post
(exaggerated example) omg they said my car is slow cause its a v6 isn't this surreal

followed by empathetic but also some genuine comments but mostly nut sucking the v6 owner
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
JD555
 
JD555's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 208
A bit over torqued.
M6 x 1.0 8 grade should only be 7.1 ft lbs.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #8
camguynj


 
camguynj's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 NPP BRM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,327
Curious what brand torque wrench did you use ? Also if you read the mumbo/jumbo on how torque works it seems if the friction of the mating surfaces is reduced (ie. they get lubricated somehow) it reduces the amount of torque required to expand the threads into the grooves.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #9
Bildo

 
Bildo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 1,427
It was a craftsman old school torque wrench, just used the wrong specs, essentially doubled the torque. Will have to use my inch/lb torque wrench the second time around. Friggin $200 mistake after a the extraction kit, new oil pump, and bolt.
Bildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #10
camguynj


 
camguynj's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 NPP BRM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bildo View Post
It was a craftsman old school torque wrench, just used the wrong specs, essentially doubled the torque. Will have to use my inch/lb torque wrench the second time around. Friggin $200 mistake after a the extraction kit, new oil pump, and bolt.
EZ to do with the old school style. Good luck going forward.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.