Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
evilive1138

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS RS Convertible
Angry Didn't realize I was buying a giant target

I bought my Camaro in September of last year and I swear I have gotten more scratches than any car I have ever owned. It's a daily driver, so I expect a little wear and tear, but this is ridiculous. Within the first month of getting the car, I got a nice scrape down the passenger side door from a rogue shopping cart. The latest one was on Tuesday evening. I went to a store with a tiny parking lot, so no out of the way spot to park. While I was shopping, somebody nailed my rear driver's side quarter panel with their door. Of course, they were long gone by the time I saw it. At least there is not a dent - just a scratch. There are also a few other minor scratches here and there. I'm guessing that I will have to get the major scratches repainted and I'm hoping the minor ones will buff out.

Last edited by evilive1138; 02-02-2012 at 06:31 AM. Reason: can't spell
evilive1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
boltmark
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2 SS/RS IOM Camaro
If the scratches are below the surface they will never buff out. So hope it's only in the clear coat.
boltmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
5cents
Dave

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS - Black/CGM Stripes
I know the feeling buddy. Got my first scratch in my 2011. Dealer said next time I come in for an oil change they'll try buffing it out.

Never fails, you park away from everybody else, do your shopping, come out, and find a junk beater car that hasn't seen a wax job, or a wash job since the day it was new, parked next to you. So, you know those people don't care about your car either.
Attached Images

5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Is this your first black car? Black makes every mark stand out.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
Hendu

Drives: 2SS 45th Anniv LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Is this your first black car? Black makes every mark stand out.
But it's such a sexy color!

Mods:
Hurst short throw shifter,Heritage Grille, CAI Inc. cai, Window tint, skip shift eliminator, footwell lighting

To-Do List:
New Exhaust (or muffler delete)
P13w's
and More TBD
Hendu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
evilive1138

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS RS Convertible
Not my first black car, but I definitely baby this one more than I have in the past. The paint does seem to be softer than other vehicles I have owned.
evilive1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
jmaynard

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2
Sorry to hear that. We definantly have a social problem that, unfortunantly, probably will not be fixed any time soon. People just do not respect other peoples property. It's not just our cars, it's everything in general. It's the 'better than everything else' attitude. The new 'ME' generation. We all contribute to it be not standing up to things we know dep down are wrong, taking a back seat and letting/assuming someone else will 'fix' the problem. Somehow, somewhere, someone needs to start a movement to bring back respect. We need to start saying something when we see something wrong. We need to start teaching the young ones about respect; and not just of property but others.

Let me provide a couple of really good examples of things that are wrong:

1) There have been posts here about illegal activities. More than a couple of postings rant on about how law enforcement is biased against Camaro owners and picking on us. The RIGHT thing is to respect law enforcement and play by the rules.

2) Multiple posts of people complaining about GM and how crappy they are about this and that. GM is a company that tries to put out a product that consumers want to purchase. I doubt that they strive to sitck it to anyone and I am confident that the employees and leadership there really DO want to serve the customers. I think they deserve a little respect, but at the very least they deserve the benefit of the doubt before being slammed. But, as I have stated, often times it is bash right out of the box.

These are just examples from this forum. I could go on and on about real life examples in our daily lives. If every member of this forum would pledge to perform one act of respect per week I think it would go long way. If every parent on this forum would commit to making sure that their children perform one act of respect (conscious) per week we could turn the corner.
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilive1138 View Post
Not my first black car, but I definitely baby this one more than I have in the past. The paint does seem to be softer than other vehicles I have owned.
If it's been a while since those other vehicles were new, then you are absolutely correct about the paint on your Camaro being softer. It's the water based paint that they are using now in order to save the baby seals, or whales, or the ozone layer or something. I first noticed it on a 1997 Z3 that I bought used in 2000. I complained on some BMW forum about how easy the paint was scratched and was immediately chewed out by more than one member for not caring about the environment. A more rational soul on that forum pointed out that BMW was ahead of its time by being the first in the USA to use water based paint on the Z3 (Z3's were built in South Carolina), and that we should all be thankful that they were saving the world through the minor inconvenience of scratched paint on our overpriced little cars. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how much scratched paint bothers you, all other manufactures have follow in their footsteps with soft, but environmentally friendly, paint.
Lee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
that sucks man these cars are a huge target, people just want to screw them up for some reason. I feel your pain I got this beauty in the pic below when I parked in the very back of the BestBuy parking lot, not a single car within 20 spots of mine. Other than kicking it idk what could of done it. Cost me almost $400 at the paintless dent place.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
SirMike
Inland Empire Camaro Club

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS, 2015 Challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cents View Post
I know the feeling buddy. Got my first scratch in my 2011. Dealer said next time I come in for an oil change they'll try buffing it out.

Never fails, you park away from everybody else, do your shopping, come out, and find a junk beater car that hasn't seen a wax job, or a wash job since the day it was new, parked next to you. So, you know those people don't care about your car either.

Happens to me at least 50% of the time. NO MATTER how far away I park.

BTW - love it when I come out after shopping and find a 5th Gen parked next/near me.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
Powhusku

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
One of the biggest factors of why I bought a SIM was this. I'm sure there are tons of rock chips all over the bumper and hood but you'd need a microscope to see them.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
Travis64

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1lt rs auto 4-9-11
you have to park far away from everyone
Travis64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Not to change the subject, but I've yet to hear about anybody doing a complete custom re-paint ...wonder if thats not in a lot of our futures with a better quality paint...dunno...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
Powhusku

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Not to change the subject, but I've yet to hear about anybody doing a complete custom re-paint ...wonder if thats not in a lot of our futures with a better quality paint...dunno...
I've thought about that as well. I likely will have the car re-painted by the time it's 10 years old depending on if the paint even lasts that long. Luckily I have a painter here who does some of the best work I've ever seen on a car.